iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

He's gonna build a What ??

Started by Magicman, November 12, 2012, 08:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I sawed for a new customer today, although I have known him for many years.  A mixed whack of Cherry Bark and Water Oak.  The job was a real chore with a mix of small and some crooked logs.  His cut list included 4/4, 5/4, as well as some 2X4's and a few 4x4'S for table legs, etc.  During the day he talked about his past furniture building projects.

It was all that I could do to scrap out about 900 bf.

And then he asked "if I wanted to know what he was going to build with some of this lumber"?  Well, OK tell me.

"I'm gonna build my own coffin".  :o  smiley_skull
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodman58

Some people like to be prepared. But, This goes a little far.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Handymark

I recently started using my neighbors LT15 and the first thing I told my wife was" I think I will build my own coffin." She was not crazy about the idea.

Ianab

:D

You guys priced coffins lately?? Think you would be doing wife a huge favour by getting one built ahead of time...

Now using it as a coffee table until you do actually die... now that's morbid...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ianab on November 12, 2012, 08:10:11 PM
:D

You guys priced coffins lately?? Think you would be doing wife a huge favour by getting one built ahead of time...

Now using it as a coffee table until you do actually die... now that's morbid...

Yes!   Even a modest model is pretty expensive.

I sawed out some Kentucky coffee bean for a guy that said he was going to make coffins for himself and his brother.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would have started coughing for sure.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPD748

When I read this story I coughed... is that southern for 'coffi'n?'

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is there a market for COFFINS?  :D :D :D :D :D

Magicman

I would have said casket, but he said coffin.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ddcuning

I saw lumber for building my furniture, I grow gardens for food and I heat with wood to keep my family warm and I believe that is being prepared but I think building a coffin is going overboard as well.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ddcuning on November 12, 2012, 08:42:09 PM
I think building a coffin is going overboard as well.

Dave C

Would you be going overboard if you built a wooden boat?  :D

Slingshot

Handymark

Would you be going overboard if you built a wooden boat?  :D
[/quote]

I just threw that idea out last weekend.

clww

I've said for years that I was going to build the one that I will be in one day. Call me crazy, but I still plan on completing it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bibbyman

If you tour the Daniel Boone home here in Missouri, they will tell you that Daniel Boone built his own coffin and stored it in the attic.  Said he'd go up now and again to try it out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

clww

That's pretty interesting, Bibby.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnM

That's one project that he's dying to finish!

(sorry, couldn't resist  :-[)

Personally, I think I'll go the cremation route, though I'm not sure that's much cheaper. ::)  The birth of our daughter two months ago was like 15k! :o  Insurance covered nearly all of it, luckily.  "They" get ya coming and going.   :(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Tree Feller

I'd build my own casket if I had somewhere to store it. Rockler even has plans for the one pictured below.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

metalspinner

Try driving up to a funeral home with your own casket and see how far you get.  ::)

Tennessee recently had some laws changed to favor the clients of funeral homes that wanted to use "outsourced" caskets and urns. Putting a person in the ground has become very complicated.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't see this thread turning to food.  :D

Magicman

At least it started out sawmilling.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: metalspinner on November 12, 2012, 09:29:08 PM
Try driving up to a funeral home with your own casket and see how far you get.  ::)

Tennessee recently had some laws changed to favor the clients of funeral homes that wanted to use "outsourced" caskets and urns. Putting a person in the ground has become very complicated.

So what are you saying.....In Tenn. you can't build your on......you have to urn it?  ;D

Dan_Shade

i figure i solve lots of other folks problems.  if I don't have a casket when I'm gone, then somebody will have to solve one for me!

I remember reading a biography on Daniel Boone when I was a kid that said he built his own coffin.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hamish

In many regions one cannot be buried in a homemade casket, nor burried in a non designated burial ground.

If I could built myself a box and dig my own hole, my kin would be upwards of near 10K ahead.

Lets turn the thread to food and waste another 10-15 posts, the larvea and maggots are food also, lets talk about them and make it a somehow meaningful post.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!