iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Picture Posting on Forum Help

Started by Jeff, March 13, 2012, 03:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landscraper

Quote from: ScottCC on January 07, 2017, 09:34:53 PM
I'm almost there, need to know how to save my autocad files so they will have correct extension.  I have tried .pdf and .pdfx and .dwg.  I don't find another choice in cad and not sure where to turn next.  Any idea the extensions that are appropriate.  I have a real picture I will add to post, or try.

Scott,

2 ways to do this.  One works if you are using Autodesk Autocad (or at least it used to).  At the command prompt below the model or paper space window type in JPGOUT (that should start a dialog window to let you save your drawing as a raster file).

Or, if you are using some other version of cad without the full Autodesk command set, here is how I have done it in the past.  I hit Shift-PrtScrn while I have Cad open as a full screen with my drawing displayed and then I open an app like MSPaint and hit "paste".  It brings over the Cad screenshot into MSPaint and then lets you save it as a Jpg, bmp, etc.

Like this ...

I "cropped" out the unnecessary stuff so only the drawing was saved.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Kbeitz

I just wanted to add that with the new cameras and phones that
have a huge image size it take a lot of space to store. The picture
does not need to be so large to look good unless your zooming in
on it. Reducing the size will help by saving space. This sample
picture from my camera is only 39.1 kb.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Darrel

If you are using an iPhone or iPad to take pictures that you plan to post on forestry forum, you must hold the device so that the volume buttons are on the bottom edge of said device while taking the picture. If you do not hold the your iPhone or iPad correctly and post directly from iPhone or iPad, your pictures will be oriented wrong on forestry forum and not even Jeff can fix it.

If the orientation of a photo taken with one of Apple's iDevices is corrected, it will then be wrong when viewed on an iPhone or iPad. So please, if you are like me and choose to use iPhones and iPads, please hold device so volume buttons are down when taking pictures. And please don't even think of holding iPhone in portrait orientation when taking pictures, it will never work.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

tburch

Question about photo sizes.  I took a screen shot on my Mac.  The original size is 1390 x 768 and is 311 kb large.  It's very easy to read on my 22" monitor.

After I uploaded it, it became 639 x 367, and the compression is so bad, it's now 42 kb, it's hard to read the text. 

When I hover over the image, it appears clickable, but clicking on it does not do anything.  What would be ideal would be that if I clicked on it, I was taken the full size image I uploaded.  On a small screen (than my 22" monitor), I don't know how people could really even see it. 

I can understand the desire (or need) to compress images on upload, but in this case, it's doing more harm to a "harmless" photo than benefiting anyone.   

Is the idea that keeping a photo under 640 x 480 (a 1990's concept) is better for the common good?   I feel like I'm in photo jail.   There have been other images on this site I would have liked to see more clearly, but it's impossible due to the compression and scaling. 
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Jeff

Even though the snide comments are unappreciated, I'll try to answer your problem.  Cut the image in two. Make two images and your text will be clear. And as for the comments, since you obviously have no understanding why we do things the way we do, I'll let them pass. This time.

tburch

I came to this thread to learn why you do the things you do, and since it wasn't stated, I asked my questions. 

Apologies for being snide.  It wasn't against any person, but you took offense personally, and apparently put me on notice.   

Thank you for offering the workaround.

Still don't know why you do the things you do.  It is a funds issue?  Is more server space needed?  Bandwidth?   
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Jeff

I founded over 17 years ago, own, run and maintain the Forestry Forum. How do I not take it personally? You reap what you sow so hence my response

grouch

It's been over 3 years since smartphones overtook desktop computers for accessing the Web. What's the biggest screen you can stick in your pocket?

I find other sites annoying sometimes when waiting and waiting and waiting for a bunch of photos of 14MB or more each to load on a page. Half the time they're lousy photos with more background than subject matter, any way.

Crop, scale, compress -- you end up with a photo that conveys what you intend and does so efficiently. Time is precious.

Find something to do that interests you.

21incher

Is there a file size that is recommended for uploading, and what is the easiest way to shrink files. I got a new camera that takes 25 megapixel files and they don't upload, my old camera took 12 megapixel files and they were ok for upload. Just wondering if they must be shrunk, what size is reccomended? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

I'd recommend what ever works.  The file size is not the only criteria that limits the upload. It is the length of time it takes as well as the current load additional load it is putting on the server trying to optimize it.  Are you planning on making billboards with that camera??

21incher

Quote from: Jeff on November 30, 2017, 04:28:10 PM
I'd recommend what ever works.  The file size is not the only criteria that limits the upload. It is the length of time it takes as well as the current load additional load it is putting on the server trying to optimize it.  Are you planning on making billboards with that camera??
Thanks Jeff, I know storage costs and didn't know if there were preferred sizes. I dropped my old camera on the concrete floor once to many times and needed a new one for making videos. Decided to try one with a APS-C sensor that makes big files in the auto mode. If I ever figure out how to use it, I should be able to get the size down. I got a message from another member about how to resize with the paint 3d in windows.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

Not sure what camera you have, but the image size is usually on one of the first menu screens, and will have several options. If you are only posting the pics online you only need about 2 mpix. The camera will stay in "Auto" mode, just make smaller image files, that are still full screen on your PC. Your memory card will also take 10X longer to fill up.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

21incher

Quote from: Ianab on November 30, 2017, 06:20:50 PM
Not sure what camera you have, but the image size is usually on one of the first menu screens, and will have several options. If you are only posting the pics online you only need about 2 mpix. The camera will stay in "Auto" mode, just make smaller image files, that are still full screen on your PC. Your memory card will also take 10X longer to fill up.

It is a new Canon entry level Rebel SL2 DSLR. I am starting to use RAW photos for copyright records on my videos and when you download them the software will also make JPEGS to share. I played with the menu you mention and the lowest quality is 3.8 megapixel that should work for the forum if I remember to change it for those pics. I have been pointed to windows 3d paint that will reduce the size easily to any size you need but didn't know the best size for posting.  The 128 gb cards hold lots of photos and video. It is amazing that cell phones now come with 50 megapixel cameras. 

E-Tex

I wanted to "test" posting a picture......1st time.   Thanks
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

jwh f-100

After I choose my gallery and hit browse it still takes me to a folder on my computer..  smiley_smug01

Help
Why buy it when you can build it.

Jeff

Yes, that is how you pick a picture to upload. Make sure you have an album created in your gallery for the photos to go.

Darrel

First, on the reply page, click on the blue bar where it says "Click here to add photos to post" And if you have already uploaded photos, in the upper right corner of screen, under the words "forestry forum gallery" click on "my gallery" and it will take you to the photos you've already uploaded. Hope this helps.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

jwh f-100

Jeff

jwh f-100

I may be wrong..  I was once before..  :D

But I think something is up with the gallery this morning? I do not see an upload button on my gallery.. I also tried to add a pic to a post and received a error message..

thecfarm

I don't see My Gallery either.
I sent the moderator a report.
Really the best way. It's at the bottom of each post. That way they can get it quicker. May not see this post for hours. But than he might of seen it when you posted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

What do you mean by you don't see your gallery Ray? I went to your profile and clicked on my gallery and there it was.  I've had a couple complaints on a permission error. Without knowing the exact error, and browser you are using, I have no way of trying to figure out the problem, especially when it seems to be working for everyone else.

jwh f-100

I can look at my gallery but I see no place to add/upload new photos.

I tried to add a current photo to a post as a test and recieved "Error
You don't have permission to perform this operation.
" ..

Jeff

I may have found the issue, not sure, but give it a shot. Please dump all of your cookies and internet temp files and try again if you are having issues with uploading. I found a cookie setting that may have been causing the issue that was changed when the forum software was upgraded after the server move.  I'm hoping that is/was the problem