iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some weights for the front of my tractor

Started by gspren, November 12, 2012, 06:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have several "baskets" of seasoned wood setting along a fence row since last winter. I took 16' fence panels and made some baskets that are about 4 1/2' dia. X 4 1/2' tall and put them on skids so instead of stacking wood I just lay a few on the skid first then after setting the basket in place I can just toss the wood in. This afternoon I made my first attempt at picking up a full basket with forks on the back of a 1956 JD620, the tractor had no problem with picking it up and while going downhill everything was fine but when I hit a slight upgrade to get to the woodshed the frontend went airborn  :o and even when I stopped the front stayed up until I lowered the forks. I unloaded about a dozen chunks off the back of the load and then made it OK. I wonder how much weight I need to hang up front? This was seasoned cherry and locust so moving a basket of green oak would be much worse.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

breederman

I would ask my wife to sit on the hood. But then again I ain't to bright!
Together we got this !

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

gspren
Back up the hill. You will be fine.

How much weight?  Just enough to counter balance whatever the load is (which will vary from one load to another if you have just tossed in the wood). Remember the rules of the school-yard teeter-totter, or physics.  ;)

Sure need some pics of that rigging.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Got an old cylinder head lying around doing nothing useful? Hang it from the axle.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

martyinmi

Quote from: breederman on November 12, 2012, 06:51:54 PM
I would ask my wife to sit on the hood. But then again I ain't to bright!

breederman,

You and I might be related. :D :D :D

gspren,

If you can wait until the next pig roast I'll deliver you enough 70# IHC(they are off from a 1086 if I remember right) halves to keep it down. I think I have 12 that I used to use for tractor pulling back in the 80's when we weren't allowed to use hanging weights. And the price to you(FREE!) can't be beat. ;)

And speaking of beat, have you given any thought to beet juice? We use it on our 300+ hp tractors instead of hanging weights when we are packing the silage piles. I think it's 25 - 30% heavier than water and non-corrosive.
Your local tire dealership should be able to tell you how much weight it will add when you tell them your tire size.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

beenthere

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 12, 2012, 07:22:34 PM
Got an old cylinder head lying around doing nothing useful? Hang it from the axle.

What??  How??
;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 12, 2012, 07:22:34 PM
It's a tricycle tractor so nothing on the axle. The front tires are 6.50 x16 so would hold about 7 gal each so thats a thought.

chevytaHOE5674

The rear end of my hay mower needed some weight for ballast, so I dug up a 4cyl engine block and filled it with concrete and hung it from the rear frame with a chain. Was super cheap and does the job.

Okrafarmer

Marty, did you have to put antifreeze in the beet juice? In Michigan you don't want those tires freezing up. Straight water will freeze of course. Is the beet juice also anti-freezical?  ???

On the JD 620, yes, most of the JD horizontal 2-cylinder tractors are naturally light on the front, compared to a Farmall, for instance. There are usually 2 or 4 big bolts on the front of the bar going down the middle of the grill. Make a bracket to bolt on those bolts, and you can hang some weight up there.

Also, JD did originally make some ballast weights specifically for those tractors. However if you don't already have 'em, they're rather spendy collector's items now.  ::)

Also, beenthere is right. You can back up the hill if you have a heavy load on the rear. Just like we teach in Bobcat school (school of hard knocks rocks): "Always keep your heavy end up-hill."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

chevytaHOE5674

I think beet juice is good down to -35*. I've got some in one tractor of mine and have never worried about freezing.

gspren

gspren,

If you can wait until the next pig roast I'll deliver you enough 70# IHC(they are off from a 1086 if I remember right) halves to keep it down. I think I have 12 that I used to use for tractor pulling back in the 80's when we weren't allowed to use hanging weights. And the price to you(FREE!) can't be beat. ;)

And speaking of beat, have you given any thought to beet juice? We use it on our 300+ hp tractors instead of hanging weights when we are packing the silage piles. I think it's 25 - 30% heavier than water and non-corrosive.
[/quote]

Marty, If those IH weights are what I think I would take 4 for the rear of my Farmall H, as to the beet juice I have it in the rear of a JD 318 garden tractor and the dealer said they don't like putting it in small tires because of the smaller valve stem but it does work great. I will probably weld up a bracket to hang some suitcase weights on the front, maybe I can borrow a few until I know what I need.

Okrafarmer

Just don't weld it TO your tractor. That would mar a beautiful antique. You have plenty of bolt holes already provided for you, for the express purpose of mounting weights or implements to the tractor.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

gspren

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 13, 2012, 08:20:22 AM
Just don't weld it TO your tractor. That would mar a beautiful antique. You have plenty of bolt holes already provided for you, for the express purpose of mounting weights or implements to the tractor.  :)
Absolutly, I just didn't word that right it is a nice looking and running old tractor and moving wood would be good for it over the winter. I have a bigger 2355 JD that handles it fine but I don't like taking the scraper box off and on to put on the forks for a 10 minute job.

beenthere

Quotetaking the scraper box off and on to put on the forks for a 10 minute job.

Get a quick hitch (iMatch is the Deere equivalent) and then dropping ballast and exchanging for the forks is a 15 second task. ;)
But neat to keep the old two-cyl Deere active too.
south central Wisconsin

Al_Smith

As a rule those old JD three point hitchs are pretty controllable .In other words they stay where you put them .Just carry the load low .The tractor will only rise up until the load hits the ground .

Oh I've scared my wife nearly to death pulling shrubery with a Ferguson ,chain hooked  to the back of a grader blade .I would get the front end up three feet in the air but it never raised any higher once the blade hit the ground .You have to steer it with the  brakes though .

For those who don't know on those old Fergys and Fords it's next to impossible to control the three point hitch .That pot licker is either up or down .

That old 620 JD is one fine old hunk of USA made cast iron .Back when they made things to last forever . ;D

Okrafarmer

I would love to have a 620 one day. My dad used to drive one when he was a teenager, when it was still relatively new. For Captain Crunch and other Oregon people's benefits, that was when my grandfather worked for Thistledown Farm, before it became famous.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 13, 2012, 07:20:03 PM
For those who don't know on those old Fergys and Fords it's next to impossible to control the three point hitch .That pot licker is either up or down .

That's because they don't have position control on the hydraulics only draft control. So the 3pt is always trying to raise or lower to keep the pull on the draft spring constant (perfect for a mounted plow or cultivator). Not until the 8n ford and ferguson TO-35 did you get position control to hold an implement at a constant height.

Al_Smith

Yes and no .It couldn't have been the 8n because it ran basically the same H.O. Ferguson lift as the TO-20-30 Fergy .Unless I'm wrong the 8n popped up about the same time Harry O and Henry dissolved their verbal agreement on the 9n .Harry built the Te's in England and Henry the 8n's in Detroit .Then a few years later old Harry to rub salt in the wound built the works in Dearborn or he found some cheap realestate  ,one .

Oh you can fiddle with the quadrant adjustment but you're kind of spinning your wheels to get it very close to hold anything in place .

Fact I don't think any of them could hold much until they came out with live power which would be the To-35 Fergy and I think the Ford Jubalee .I've been wrong before though  ;)

beenthere

Sorry Al
The Ford 8N had position control. At least the one I had did, but my TO-30 did not.
The 8N did not have live power. The pump for the lift ran only when the PTO was engaged and running.

Also as a side note, the 8N had left/right dual brakes on the right hand side, opposite the clutch. The TO-30 did not, and to brake the left wheel it had to be done with the left foot while operating the clutch (if that was necessary at the same time).
south central Wisconsin

Al_Smith

Well I stand corrected then and thank you .

What however was different from the 8N and the TO-30? I once got an 8n as part of a trade which had the differential  torn out .I robbed the PTO shaft from it and put it in a To-20  which had a bent shaft .Had to use the Fergy bearing housing but the shaft was the same .I think I unloaded that Ford for 900 bucks .

I do know this, Ford or Fergy the brakes never amounted to a hill of beans .Turn the drums ,new shoes two years later you couldn't stop a pizz ants motor scooter with them .I even went so far as to install new bearings and  seals on the axles of one of my TO-20's  and two years later same deal and that tractor was and still is parked inside in the dry .

chevytaHOE5674

The difference is in the hydraulic top cover (among other things), giving it position control of the hydraulics. On the 8n there is a lever that you flip to choose between draft and position. When it position it will hold the 3pt hitch wherever it is set with the quadrant lever. When in draft mode its either up or down, the middle part of the quadrant is to set how much draft is required before the 3pt will raise.

Al_Smith

Okay I think I remember but correct me if I'm wrong again .Is that the one that had a handle inside the quadrant handle? It's kind of fuzzy because it's been decades since I've been on an 8n.

Oh you can carry stuff on the hitch of TO 20 .You just lift it where you want it and kick the PTO out of gear .Problem being if it's heavy enough it will leak down .I suppose though you figure they are 60 years old that's not so bad ,heavens I leak down myself at times .

Okrafarmer

Our MHF model 50 is a 1956 model, and it has many features that are far more modern than you fellows are describing. They seem to have standardized a lot of the normal "tractor stuff" by that time, like two brakes on the right foot side, hand throttle to the right of the steering wheel, live (but not independent) hydraulics and PTO, hydraulics work without the PTO engaged (but still must have clutch engaged), power steering (which doesn't work on ours), and a six speed transmission with two reverse gears. Must have been a pretty nice machine to use when it was a baby, but now it is getting kind of sloppy.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!