iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 19 winch

Started by madmax, November 12, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmax

My skidder has been sitting for couple of month, got new motor in & now winch wont do anything? Have never really used it yet, so I am not sure on winch controls? Looks like forward is brake? Pull lever back to winch? What do you do to release brake? The master lever cycilinder keeps lossing fluid to? Thinking of pulling it out & bringing it to shop to have them go through it? This machine is killing me!!!!!!

DDDfarmer

should be back to release, foreward to winch and center to hold.  could be plumbed backwards tho.   tie to a heavy object release winch and drive away, then winch back.  winch is probly just stuck and needs to be used.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

madmax

Quote from: DDDfarmer on November 12, 2012, 01:43:07 PM
should be back to release, foreward to winch and center to hold.  could be plumbed backwards tho.   tie to a heavy object release winch and drive away, then winch back.  winch is probly just stuck and needs to be used.

Who ever worked on this skidder did not know what they were doing for sure. I see the master cycilinder is facing the wrong way? It said brake is forward, can you switch the lines to change this? Can I tell which is brake by the line that is conected to winch?

Thanks

madmax

One more thing, when you pull back on lever, does not go back very far? When you push forward you feel some resistance to it & it is spongy?

logman81

Hang in thier madmax I went through the same thing a couple weeks ago, had to put new bands and seals in winch. My control is also backwords.
Precision Firewood & Logging

barbender

My 19, you pull it to engage the winch, push it forward to release the brake. It also has a detent in the release position, and a fair amount of travel in the lever to get to the detent position.  The other direction, the lever barely moves to engage. However, I went to use my machine the other day, and my control had leaked. I filled it back up, now it is spongy on the engage side, I'll have to bleed it.
Too many irons in the fire

lumberjack48

No you can't change lines around. Start by taking the cover off the winch to find whats leaking, brake fluid is going some where. Fix the leak and get all the air out of controller lines.
Then get things loosened up, get brake bands to release, and the shoes moving, grabbing the inner drum. Once you see all this working put the cover back on. Hopefully this is all it needs is a little TLC.

Your master controller is mounted properly, push down to release brake, push back to winch.
barbender you have a small leak some where.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

Yep LJ, I can see it seeping. My machine sits too much, that's about the worst thing for them, I think.

madmax

Thanks, pulled cover off, looks like a mess? Smells burnt to crisp. Pulling it out now. Everything is new in my skidder, why not the winch too. Backhoe is down, how much does this weigh?

pigpen

the whole winch im going to stab at around 1000 lbs, but i would bet that you could fix this on the machine from what I have read, unless the drum is no good? the line going into the center of the winch is the clutch side, or winch in side, and the one going in the top is the brake release. I have a can car 20, but as I was taught off of the forum from someone that they are so close to identical that you cant tell them apart, at least as far as i took mine apart. Hope this helps, I just got done with mine and it works great! If you take the bands off be careful to not lose the freespool drag spring which is located on the top of the wider brake band, you can remove it before hand if you remove the set screw, 1/4 inch allen wrench, on the top of the winch behind the brake line.  Good luck and Stay Safe!

madmax

My winch controler detent is not working, can this be rebuilt, or do I need new one? If I need new one, does anyone have part #, or best place to by from?

Thanks

lumberjack48

You can get a rebuild kit, i used to be able to buy it at any parts store. Maybe you can get by with a good cleaning with Emery cloth an replacing the rubber cups. The size of the cup is usually marked on the in side of the cup, 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 not sure of size, any parts store has the cups.

A new controller is expensive, unless you happen stumble on to a guy with a used one.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

madmax

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 15, 2012, 05:26:24 PM
You can get a rebuild kit, i used to be able to buy it at any parts store. Maybe you can get by with a good cleaning with Emery cloth an replacing the rubber cups. The size of the cup is usually marked on the in side of the cup, 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 not sure of size, any parts store has the cups.

A new controller is expensive, unless you happen stumble on to a guy with a used one.

I take the only way to de the detent back is with new one? What creats the detent?

lumberjack48

What do you mean ?

Evidently detent is a new word, google has no meaning for it

barbender

I don't know what creates the detent, I've never had my controller apart.

DDDfarmer

the two push-rods are different lengths,  I would think that the release side pushes the lever over center? 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

madmax

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 15, 2012, 06:54:23 PM
What do you mean ?

Evidently detent is a new word, google has no meaning for it

Detent, noun a hinged catch that fits into a notch

When I push my lever forward to release brake, it come back to center, putting brake back on. The detent would hold the lever in so the winch will freespool. That is my guess, only used it once before it craped out.

lumberjack48

Evidently the controllers is mounted so you push back to release the brake. It pushes real hard at first, then it over centers and stays there until you pull it back to center.

You can get a kit
http://www.partsfinder.ca/winch.html

madmax

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 16, 2012, 11:54:10 AM
Evidently the controllers is mounted so you push back to release the brake. It pushes real hard at first, then it over centers and stays there until you pull it back to center.

You can get a kit
http://www.partsfinder.ca/winch.html

I think because the fluid keep leaking out that I dont have good idea of how it works. Backhoe is getting fixed tonight, so winch will be pulled also.

Thanks for help

lumberjack48

It should have brake and clutch marked on the controller. The brake side is to release it, clutch is winching in. I fixed the winch on the skidder.

Ed_K

When mine wore out i checked into new, $ 5,000. is what a gearmatic dis.will ask for a new one. I had mine rebuilt at a machine shop for $300.
Ed K

DDDfarmer

easy to do the minor repairs on the machine bands-slave cylinders-springs.  Just remember to cover the holes between the fuel tank and frame BEFORE you start the work. Stuff does get dropped down there and they are not fun to get out.

madmax

My brake got stuck on, same as other people, if I keep the winch in release position, will this eliminate the band from getting stuck? Sounds practical?

DDDfarmer

Then you will always have pressure on your hydraulic lines and the springs will be under tension.

captain_crunch

Only cure I know for keeping brake and clutch bands from sticking is start machine bout once a month and play with winch :) :) Band tolarences are touchy on the gearmatic condensation is worse issue when winch has been working it gets warm and as it cools moisture forms. But when they are working right bout best winch going
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!