iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 365 Special Ported.

Started by DGP NZ, November 12, 2012, 01:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGP NZ

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum and I guess to using a saw professionally to for that matter. Although I have used a saw since my teenage years on the farm and fire wooding etc.

Some years ago I brought my 365 for use in my contracting business as a general use saw for which it has been great. More recently I started working alongside a logging crew cleaning up etc. and the 365 sits in the back compartment of the digger to break down any large wood for rubbish fires etc.

Any way after being there a few weeks all the different crews got together for a beer and yes the Husky verses Stihl topic come up and you know how it goes. As the new guy I sure as hell wasent going to own up to using a little 65cc saw compared to their 90's but then I got to thinking it would be funny as hell to pull it out and run with the 660 and 395.

So like all good Kiwi blokes I pulled out my trusty dremal which has done a few moto x bikes engines over the years and opened up the bottom of the transfers widened the exhaust and raised it a little also lowered the piston intake and widened it a bit too I think. I removed the base gasket and just sealed it back on. Then took to the muffler and opened up the existing outlet by bending up the flap and grinding away all the pressed lip I found inside.

Well bugger me this worked a treat and it easily hangs with the 660 in fact having swapped saws for a few hours the other day we both agreed it possibly has more.

I would like to know what else could be done or more specifically actual measurements that others have found works well in this saw.

I have not altered the timing at all could this help?

This saw has done quite a bit of work since the grinding session and I pulled the muffler off in the weekend and it all looks good seems to be happy as hell.

All a bit of a laugh really could care less if it explodes I have more than got my money's worth out of it over the years. ;D

AdkStihl

Better get out the degree wheel, cause its time to mill the squish band & the base. Advance the timing a few degrees (5* +/-) by filing the flywheel key.
You'll want proper intake, and exhaust durations.
J.Miller Photography

thecfarm

DGP NZ,I just want to welcome you to the forum. I run a 372. Go Huskys.  :D  Make us look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NCFarmboy

Quote from: AdkStihl on November 12, 2012, 08:28:22 AM
Better get out the degree wheel, cause its time to mill the squish band & the base. Advance the timing a few degrees (5* +/-) by filing the flywheel key.
You'll want proper intake, and exhaust durations.
YES to the above!!!!
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

DGP NZ

Thanks for the welcome and the replies guys.

Tinkering with saws is addictive!

So is there a rule of thumb port timing (duration) that is known to work?

I'd be happy to take this as far as I can go on 91 pump gas as that is the standard mix without me having to supply my own gas at work. I'd need to set up a jig to hold the jug in my lath or maybe the mill I guess to raise to compression and it would be nice to get a base gasket back in there. As for the squish I'm not sure I'm technically advanced enough to have a go at that. Well not yet any way. Also without a right angle tool to cut the top of the transfers I'm a bit buggered there too.

Hmmm maybe there isn't a lot more I can do with the current tooling I have.

If I were to do things you mention how much more can I expect to get out of this saw? Because if its heaps Id seriously consider buying the tools.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

grweldon

According to my stopwatch, that's about 36 seconds for the un-modded saw and 26 seconds for the modded saw.... Almost 30% quicker....
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

DGP NZ

Well thanks for encouragment.

I have picked up some info on another fourm so will most likley need to get another saw while this one gets laid up as I do the work. This is about to go out of control :D

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!