iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil Change for the Lucas Mill w/18hp B&S

Started by sawmiller7753, November 08, 2012, 01:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmiller7753

Hey guys,

I am heading north to Ohio at the end of Nov. to do some milling.  I need to change my oil.  Any ideas on what grade of oil I will need.  Also, what brand are you using up north.  Thanks
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

Bill Gaiche

I use 10w30 wal-marts full synthetic in my 14hp Vangard and it really stays clean between changes. Depends on how far north you go will determine what to use. Synthetic oils let you run a little lighter weight. It also lets the engine turn over easier in the cold weather also. The fellas up north can better answer your question. bg

bandmiller2

Synthetic is the way to go especially with air cooled engines,easy cold start,longer engine life.They use so little oil price is no problem.As Bill said probibly 10/30 would be good.I use Amsoil synthetic 15/40 summer and winter.A small amount of synthetic two cycle oil in the gas helps the valves and upper cylinder,as their hot and dry. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

Check your guide or look on line to see if a single grade or multi-grade oil is required.
Either way as noted above go full synthetic,  worth the little extra,
you can also run a little Marvels Mystery Oil in the fuel, same idea as Bandmiller2 noted,
helps lube the upper end a bit,  but don't over do it.
:D

Al_Smith

Right from the "book " .Above 40 degrees straight high  grade SAE 30 Wt .From 40 down to zero SAE 5W-30 or 5W-20 .Option being from 40 and below synthetic 5w -20 or 30 .

Recomended oil change weekly or 25 hours which of course very few people including myself does .

Oil in a small 4 cycle is just about like mix oil in a two cycle --nobody can agree on what brand or what mix ratio or weight be it crankcase oil .Carry on .

sawmiller7753

Thanks for the responses.  Will make a trip to walmart and get some synthetic 10W30.  By the way,
Happy Birthday Marines.
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

logboy

Amsoil makes a 4 cycle synthetic that is excellent. I have used it in my slabber and swinger for years without incident. I changed the swinger's gearbox transmission fluid over to Amsoil synthetic as well. One quart will last multiple changes.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!