iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Critique my Milling biz name

Started by thechknhwk, November 07, 2012, 08:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I'd like to call my portable or cut yer logs at my place sawmill business - Soggy Bottom Sawmill.

The logic being I have lived in a seasonal swamp (soggy bottom) most of my life, but my wife says it reminds her of wet diapers :(  Anyways, I think it is a catchy name; I've always been a sucker for alliteration, and plus I have a sense of humor and think it sounds fun.

Critique and comment at your leisure ;D

SPD748

Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

jueston

i think if i saw that name, i would remember it years later when i desperately needed a sawmill.... +1

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: thechknhwk on November 07, 2012, 08:48:15 PM
it reminds her of wet diapers 

:D  But seriously, I like something "catchy" like that.  Something that the customer will not forget.  That is one reason for my sawmilling business' name.  Folks remember.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

haywire woodlot

I like it. It's memorable and rolls off the tongue. I do business as Mariner Mobile Milling, it looks good on paper, but can be a bit of mouthful when answering the phone.
Dave

thechknhwk

I'll have to email this link to my wife, lol. :D

Okrafarmer

A few years back, when I was starting my lawn care and tree removal business, I considered calling it "Vegetation Modification and Elimination" but wisely decided that the name was too hard to say, and the acronym simply wasn't memorable.  :D

When I hear soggy bottoms, my first thought is definitely of diapers. If you're ok with that, then fine. Keep in mind, I have five kids and the oldest is 8.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

valley

Anything that people will remember mine is RUBBER CHICKEN SAWMILL it started as a joke because I actually have a rubber chicken tatoo on my foot ( long story ) anyway people ask me what does a rubber chicken have to do with a sawmill I simply reply when you can tell me what a lizard has to do with insurance ill tell you what a rubber chicken has to do with a sawmill .we have had a lot of fun with it stay plenty busy and everybody remembers the name it has even drew attention for a local newspaper to do a story on us and it just started I think out of curiosity :) :)
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

Nomad

Here's another  smiley_thumbsup for Soggy Bottom Sawmill.  Easy to say and easy to remember.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Anytime that my company's name comes up in conversation, I just tell folks that I am the chief "Knothead" and we get a chuckle.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

For local advertising and word of mouth having a catchy name is good.
For a company name on a website I would have something with custom sawing in the name.  You want the right words for search engines to find.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

Quote from: valley on November 07, 2012, 11:40:03 PM
ask me what does a rubber chicken have to do with a sawmill I simply reply when you can tell me what a lizard has to do with insurance ill tell you what a rubber chicken has to do with a sawmill .

Geico  (Government Employees Insurance Company) is mistaken for gecko which is a lizard.  Okay, your turn.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Soggy Bottoms is often mistaken for baby diapers.  :)

So, I am quickly beginning to imagine what your mascot or logo should look like.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WmFritz

My first thought went to 'Oh Brother...' I love that movie.  You and yer crew would be 'The Soggy Bottom Boys.'  :D

Like the name, too. +1 more  smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

That's the movie that I was trying to think of,George Clooney.
Soggy Bottom Sawmill. That will be remembered. I like it. That name would get my attention.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dchiapin

did a google search. There is already a "Soggy Bottom Sawmill" in Amory, Ms.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: dchiapin on November 08, 2012, 10:08:45 AM
did a google search. There is already a "Soggy Bottom Sawmill" in Amory, Ms.

That's probably far enough away to be ok. I mean, what if there were 3,000 "Johnson's Sawmill"s in the US? I used to live just a couple miles from one.

Leigh Family Farm

Soggy Bottom reminds me of "O Brother Where Art Though" movie with George Clooney. The trio group in that movie was the Soggy bottom Boys. I like it. Keep it going.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Solomon

How about,   "Cutwright & Sharp".
You cut down, We cut it up!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 08, 2012, 09:45:46 AM
Soggy Bottoms is often mistaken for baby diapers.  :)

So, I am quickly beginning to imagine what your mascot or logo should look like.

Hmmm, perhaps a diaper loaded with "logs" would work. Not sure I'd want to be and offbarer on that won  ;)

red oaks lumber

your quality of work is what people will remember. the name will help but it won't make your business :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!