iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed on Dry Stone Foundation

Started by villarri, November 07, 2012, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

villarri

This is my first post, though I've been following for a while.
After attending a workshop given by Jim last year, I decided to build the Sobon shed. I decided to put it on a dry stone foundation and have that about complete. About eight weekends of collecting and placing stones! My timbers were cut in August, but the stonework and life took more time than I planned. The timbers are stacked and tarped, and now the snow is flying. I'm trying to attach a few pics. Look forward to any input. Rich V. in Boston, NY

Rich V.

Jim_Rogers

Rich:
That foundation looks great.

thanks for posting.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

That is some might fine stone work. Takes some time to do such a perfect fitting and "hats off" to you (for posting of pics too ).
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

That looks awesome!  Very good looking stone!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Red Clay Hound

Great stone work villarri!  Looking forward to seeing pics of the shed as it goes up! :) :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Jay C. White Cloud

Rich, that look fantastic.  Does it sit on a gravel trench, or just on mineral soil?  Can't wait to see frame going up, great job.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Rooster

Rich has some serious "skills"!!!

'Cause if the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy!  Red Green ;)
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

thecfarm

WOW and beyond WOW. That is some really nice work. I have rocks,but I couldn't find that many flat ones if I tore all my stone walls apart. If you do the wood part that good too,that will look beautiful. Almost forgot to welcome you to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

villarri

I chose one of the only patches of gravel ground on my propery. (Probably why when I bought the place the original barn was right nearby.) I dug down 1 to 2 feet to get away from roots, etc., and placed the first couple of layers right on the compacted subsoil with extral large and ugly flat stones.  They are buried and won't be seen anyway. Saved the good-looking stones for top layers.

Rich V.

Brian_Weekley

Very, very nice!  What's the overall size?  I just got my gravel base done last month and plan to build a similar dry fit foundation early next summer after it has some time to settle.  Problem is, I have mostly roundish field stone on the property.  I'll probably have to get some better stuff at the quarry nearby.  I just hope mine approaches to look as good as yours!

-Brian
e aho laula

Jay C. White Cloud

:o
Rich, that is a great foundation layout.  I do a considerable amount of restoration work, (barns and the like,) some just have sat on stone plinths, no below grade foundation of any kind, and they have only moved a little in a century and a half.

The structures on dry laid foundations like yours, with below grade drainage, just don't move, (or very little.)  The most I've seen in 37 years of doing this kind of work, was ¾", took 175 years, and displacement  was measured over 100 feet.  Many new structures that size sitting on concrete can be off that much.

The one thing I would have you consider, should you do something like this again, is change your below grade work from ashlar (flat) orientation, to vertically oriented stone in a herring bone matrix.  It packs tighter; drains way better, uses smaller stone and is much more seismically stable, compared to the ashlar method.  Most of the stonework in the world, (Great Wall in China,) sits on the herring bone system, or a facsimile there of.  You can just get away with well pack gravel and small chips, should usable stone be scares for your next job. 

Great work and keep the photos coming. ;D
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Piston

Rich,
That looks amazing!  Looks like you have some stone work experience?  Are you the guy at the workshop that was a machinest?  I think you had your daughter with you for the weekend stay in MA?  Not sure if I have the right guy but I was in that workshop as well and I remember a guy named Rich (hard not to the way Jim makes you play that name game)  :D

Anyways, the foundation looks great and I'm looking forward to following your progress.  Great first post and thanks for posting pics!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

villarri

Piston,
Yes, that was me in the workshop in MA. I've been following your posts and really appreciate the pictures from the workshop and those of the barn on your property you plan on restoring.
As far as my sonework experience, I built a dry laid stone retaining wall on three sides of my garage a few years ago, that's it. The stacking of the foundation is similar but the stones seem much heavier now. I'm lucky that I have a supply of stones on my property and my neighbor also let me collect some in exchange for some firewood. I spend most of my days working in tool steel and metals, now I am finding working timbers fascinating and self satisfying. I must say, I really did enjoy stacking the stones as well. Thanks for the encouraging words. I will try and add pictures as work on the shed continues. The weather is supposed to be unseasonably warm for the next few days, so maybe I can peel back the tarp on the timbers and begin work on the sills.
Rich V.

Normando

Hi Rich,

That foundation looks fantastic.  I can wait to see the finish shed!  Keep us posted.

Norm

villarri

I finally started working on the actual timber frame shed. I got the sills and the joists complete and assembled. I'll be back at it in the spring.

lery/albums/userpics/20180/DSC01337.JPG[/img]
Rich V.

thecfarm

@villarri,I can see the pictures in your gallery. This should help,

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

villarri

Trying to add some photos.

<

br>
Rich V.

scouter Joe

Good solid looking base . Keep up the good work . scouter Joe

Brian_Weekley

Fantastic!  I've been wondering what happened to your project.  It's going to look great!
e aho laula

BCsaw

Coming along nice. If you develop your timber framing skills like your stone work.....it is going to look like a million bucks!
;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

ozarkgem

Man you have some talent with stones.  Too bad people do not understand how much work goes into something like that. You know just  lay a few rocks down and your are done. NOT!  That is super work.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

fluidmotion

@villarri  How did you fix the sill plates into the stone? Thanks!

villarri

The sill plates are just sitting on a lamination of two treated 2x12's. Weight of the frame only keeping things in place. Nothing fastened to stones. No mortar anywhere, strictly dry-laid.

Rich Villar
Rich V.

Thank You Sponsors!