iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS362 bar oiler

Started by jonmart, November 07, 2012, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonmart

Hey all.  First time posting on the board, but I've been reading others posts for quite some time now.  Thanks for all the info.

So, I bought my first saw today.  Went with a Stihl MS 362.  I work for a trails organization and wanted something that had the right combination of weight and power.  Historically I've run Stihl's but they have all been older models.  I took my saw home and started her up for the first time, but to my dismay I didn't get any oil "sling".  Are the newer saws a little more stingy when it comes to oiling or is this something I need to take get taken care of?  I turned the oil adjuster all the way to the max and the oil tank is pretty close to full.  Any thoughts?

Ianab

QuoteAre the newer saws a little more stingy when it comes to oiling

Yes. You won't sling an oil slick off the front of the bar like the old school saws did. You will just see a few spots.

Check the chain is "oily" and running smooth, and start cutting.

If more than 1/2 the oil is gone when you run out of gas, then things are working fine. If the chain gets hot and binds up after 2 cuts, then it's not oiling,  somethings broken, take it back to the shop.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnG28

What he said x2. My 361 will use around a half tank of oil to one tank fuel. If you run the saw WOT for a moment and shut it down, then pull the chain from the bar you should see oil on the drive links in the bar groove. They don't sling much but still work just fine.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

drobertson

There is a very small adjusting screw on the bottom, which has very little adjustment as well,  I had to end up using summer mix bar lube all year long, but it does work,  and man when these things are sharp they will flat cut the wood.  Check the screw set it wide open use summer lube, and let er rip. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jonmart

Thanks for the input guys.  I'm happy to report that I bucked up some logs yesterday and all is well.  The combination of not seeing what I'm used to and making a pretty hefty purchase like that had me a little paranoid, but I ran through approximately a third of a tank of gas and half a tank of bar oil.  I'm going to set the adjuster back to E and that should line things up accordingly.

chipsfly09

I have also noticed this with the MS 361 that i recently acquired +-  1/2 full oil when out of gas  I did not readily see an adjustment on the bottom of the saw as there is on some-- Guess that's enough oil.  Was just about to ask when  I saw this discussion-- Thanks

JohnG28

The oil adjustment is on the bottom of the 361. It is recessed in a hole underneath, but there is a + and - and a picture of a chain link next to it.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Clam77

You guys should keep in mind - the 361/362 has a max recommended bar length of 25" so the longer the bar the less oil is going to be visible.  It'll HANDLE bigger like 28" and even 30" if you absolutely need it to, but the oiler isn't made to push out enough oil for bars any bigger than 28", and it just barely puts out enough for that. 

For the 361, I know you can get the oiler guts out of a 460R and transplant them which will give you about 1.5x more oil if you think you're not getting enough.  I assume it's the same for the 362 (I have the parts for my 362- just haven't tried to replace them yet).
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!