iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain advice for a one time saw mill

Started by lowpolyjoe, November 05, 2012, 10:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey all

I'm looking at putting together a one time saw mill setup using a chainsaw bracket attachment (perhaps the super cheap Beam Machine).  I'm wondering if I could get some advice on a chain that might help me out.  I've seen they sell 'rip chains' but some people have told me they are a scam. 

I've got the stock bar and chain on my rancher 455.   I think it's a 20" bar

I have three logs about 6' long each, maybe 16- 18" diameter from my fallen Basswood tree.  I would like some boards out of them to make something in rememberence of our favorite tree. 

I also tend to cut random logs lengthwise to make mountain biking obstacles.  if there is a magical 'rip chain' I would love to hear about it cuz I would probably get a good amount of use out of it

Thanks
Joe

sawguy21

I suggest an Oregon Microlite bar and 95R ripping chain on the 455 if you want to go that route. 3/8 will work but will be slow and hard on the saw, it really does not have adequate power for ripping. FWIW, regular cross cut chain will rip but will not leave a smooth finish. Just my $.02 CDN
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bill m

Save your money and just use regular chain. The only thing ripping chain will give you is a little smoother finish.  I have ripped thousands of feet of logs ( most of it for mtb stuff ) and find the regular chain will cut faster than ripping chain.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

fuzzybear

use what you got on the bar now. Just keep your files close and keep it sharp. With the Beam machine, try to keep the saw cutting at around a 45deg angle, it will cut better than having it at 90.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Al_Smith

What he said .Keep in mind a chainsaw weather rip chain or no will put out smoother lumber than a circle mill .Besides if you run in through a planer the point is pretty much moot providing the thickness is close .

HolmenTree

I'm just throwing in my $0.02 CDN too :D
Joe, file your cutter's top plate angle at 10 degrees and keep your depth gauges [rakers] high.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks everybody

Can anyon recommend a good online video or website for info on sharpening techniques - I'm a noob and only sharpen with the round file even though I know there's more to it. I saw some pics of a guide that seems to fit over a tooth that I think is supposed to help you sharpen correctly.  Is this a wise purchase?  Or maybe I misinterpreted what the picture was?

Hey Bill - I've got a tiny mtb loop in my back yard.   Sandy provided me with a new toy.  Not sure if I've noticed your name in my other related thread so ill post the pics again.   About 20' part of a pine fell in my yArd and I just ripped it down the middle freehand.  Got myself a nice log ride 20+' long dropping 8-10' of elevation.  Can't wait to finish it and try it out.   Can't beleive NJ is getting hammered with a snowstorm 1.5 weeks after the hurricane. Grrrrr... Progress will be slow. 

lowpolyjoe

Just watched a few videos on YouTube.  I like this one because it explains the use of the flat file which is what I was a little confused about.   If there is any misinformation in this clip please let me know. 

http://youtu.be/-PTXj1VIlbc

bill m

lowpolyjoe, A friend posted a video on youtube of part of my trail. search for "wild bill's memorial day ride"

lowpolyjoe

Sweet trails Bill.  Im stuck on half an acre so i just have a little loop with some balance obstacles to play with when i dont feel like driving anywhere.   Wish I had more land to try to make some stuff like that vid shows.   Nice work

bill m

lowpolyjoe, Thanks. That video was taken a long time ago and a lot has changed since then. It's about 5.5 miles long now. I have one log road through a wet area that is about 1000 feet long. All made with logs ripped length wise, laid end to end, about a foot above ground.

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: bill m on November 08, 2012, 08:34:33 AM
lowpolyjoe, Thanks. That video was taken a long time ago and a lot has changed since then. It's about 5.5 miles long now. I have one log road through a wet area that is about 1000 feet long. All made with logs ripped length wise, laid end to end, about a foot above ground.

Wish I lived close enough to visit  :)

bill m

Your not that far, only about 2.5 hours. A friend from a neighboring town ( Sparta ) has come up to ride. Maybe you have heard of him, Jeff Lenosky?

lowpolyjoe

Wow - I had not known of Jeff but I just looked him up.  Looks like a great rider.  I don't follow biking as a sport so much so I don't really know any of the famous riders.  I've just gotten more serious about it this past season

Funny - i think I drive through Sparta when I visit my parents in PA. there's a nice outdoor skate/bike park that I see and always want to stop at :-) ... Not sure if its in Sparta, but I think it's close. 

lowpolyjoe

I threw a 2x4 on one of thick limbs to try out my Beam Machine.   

Initially i was seeing very fine saw dust so i figured i needed to break out the file.  So I did a little sharpening... Still not cutting so great.  Then i really went to town.  I used a dremel tool attachment (can i get opinions on that tool?)   But even after a good working over, the saw dust was finer than i expected.

I read some reviews of the stock chain and some guy was saying that after a few sharpenings, it's not really any good anymore.  I was wondering if there was anything to this comment?   My sharpening skills are not the greatest so it could just be that.

I'll probably pick up a new chain because my poor sharpening technique may have done in my current one.

Just curious if some chains do lose their ability to be sharpened well over time.

Thanks,
Joe

beenthere

You are crosscutting the wood fibers on the ends. Not going to see chips like "normal" bucking of logs.
That may be what you are expecting and causing your disappointment.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

A chain can be sharpened many times right down till there is just a little bit of the cutter left. It just takes practice to get it right. Depending on how much you have to take off when you sharpen you will also need to file the rakers. Get a gauge from your dealer for the type of chain you are using. When you are cutting with the grain like that it will be sawdust not chips.

shelbycharger400

dremmel will give you a sour cut!
Use a chain grinder to make yourself a nice tooth, then you will be cutting better!

bill m

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on November 18, 2012, 08:19:45 PM
dremmel will give you a sour cut!
The same thing can be said about a chain grinder. It's not the tool it's the proficiency of the operator.

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2012, 08:04:09 PM
You are crosscutting the wood fibers on the ends. Not going to see chips like "normal" bucking of logs.
That may be what you are expecting and causing your disappointment.

That was another thing I was wondering about but forgot to ask in my post.   Thanks.

lowpolyjoe

I was wondering if it was worth getting one of those grinders from harbor freight.   I like the dremel because I don't have to take the chain off the saw.  But if the grinder is a lot better maybe it's worth the extra effort?   The grinder locks in the angle so I assume that's at least one advantage to sharpen all teeth consistently.   

Plus I did roll the dremmel over the top of a tooth or two  :-\.   Went back and resharpened but don't really know how much harm that does to the cutter

fuzzybear

The *cheap, chineese knock off, junk, distributor* chain grinders are just that CHEAP. save your time and money.  Learning to hand file is your best asset. With practice, taking your time, you can produce a razor sharp chain. Then since your milling you only have to give it 2 or 3 quick rasps to get the edge back. The more you hand sharpen the better you become.  I only pull out the dremel when I messed up and hit a rock or to take the rakers down a touch.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

bill m

Unless you are cutting real dirty wood or hit a rock or hardware in the log I would just stick to hand filing. I have a bench mount grinder and only use it maybe once a year. One or two passes with a file after each rip or two will keep you cutting efficiently.

beenthere

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on November 07, 2012, 10:25:13 PM
Just watched a few videos on YouTube.  I like this one because it explains the use of the flat file which is what I was a little confused about.   If there is any misinformation in this clip please let me know. 

http://youtu.be/-PTXj1VIlbc

Joe
I just came across this post with the video on sharpening by hand.
I didn't find any fault with the procedure as it is almost to the letter the way I do my chains. Very good video IMO. ;)  I however do use a small jig that I find very easy and helpful for maintaining good file position.

This tool by Pferd and sold through Husqvarna for about $10.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 05, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
I suggest an Oregon Microlite bar and 95R ripping chain on the 455 if you want to go that route. 3/8 will work but will be slow and hard on the saw, it really does not have adequate power for ripping. FWIW, regular cross cut chain will rip but will not leave a smooth finish. Just my $.02 CDN

Got a 95VP72 chain / 18in. Micro-Lite Bar combo for a decent price.  Had to end up changing the drive sprocket as well (from 3/8->.325).  Finally got to try it out today.  Cuts MUCH better than the stock bar and chain.  It feels like the way the saw *should* perform. 

Thanks for pointing me to the Micro-lite stuff.  Some people say the kerf is no thinner than standard, but regardless, it is performing very well for me.

Thank You Sponsors!