iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mid sise forwarding trailer hyd questions?

Started by dwchaisson, November 05, 2012, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwchaisson

anyone out there have any recomendations for a forwarding trailer with a loader on it, i picked up a homemade one last night and the guy that built it ran it off his tractor. i currently have no hydraulics on my tractor and would like to put a gas engine and pump on the trailer itself, any recomendations would be appreciated
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

dwchaisson

here is a pic of the trailer and my skidder which will be used to haul it

homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

logman81

Very cool equipment, I like that trailer would like more pics and info on it. I would think a eight hp and five gpm pump would fit the bill. I have been wanting to build a trailer for my tractor just like yours.
Precision Firewood & Logging

dwchaisson

which trailer the float or the log trailer, the float is also homemade as a class project( i am a welding instructor)

logman81

I was talking about the log trailer, very cool.

york

Hi,get back to the guy with the tractor and find out what kind of HYD. flow it had-8HP does not sound like enough-i have a 90J,Valby and they show there opt.hydro-pack and has 20hp Honda.....

Hey,how about more pic. of your skidder???albert
Albert

shortlogger

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

dwchaisson

my original plan was to go with a 9hp and install a 2 stage pump off a wood splitter, not sure how well it would work (i have access to this motor and pump at a reasonable price)

skidder is another class project, it has 2, 22-massey rear-ends facing each other driven by a v6 dodge truck engine and a transfer case from a toyota truck 12000lb electric winch on back,

dwchaisson

already spoke to the previous owner and he was not sure

logman81

Look online what the makers of log trailers are putting on them for power packs. 11 hp with a single stage pump, it will run cooler, and you can run the larger engine slower making the engine last longer.

dwchaisson

here are a few more of the skidder during the build process a few years back, all that i have access to right now

1270d

Sure wish I went to the school where you taught.  Nice project. All of my welding in school was test tabs. No fab, just flat vert and overhead test plate. 

bushmechanic

I wouldn't go with the two stage pump.What about running something off the dodge engine?Is the power steering pump still on the engine?It could very well run the loader.Is the skidder steering articulated and if so how did you run that pump?You could always add a hydraulic pump and belt drive it from the engine to run the loader.Sorry I think I may have gotten a bit excited for a minute there. :D

Ed_K

Ive run mine with an 8hp w/2 stage pump,works but you have to be carefull on weight.When the 2 stage kicks down to more power less movement you could bend some metal. 
Ed K

dwchaisson

The skidded currently uses a power steering off an international truck and works fine for the articulation and raising of my plow. but I don't want to use the trailer strictly with this skidder I also do some wood work with a cousin of mine and he runs a John Deere skidder which we would like to also pull the trailer, seems like I'm shooting ideas down don't get me wrong I really do appreciate all the input and ideas. This afternoon I came across a 12 hp commercial Briggs free for the taking so I may use that motor and buy a princess auto 6gpm gear pump.

hackberry jake

I would look for a 13hp honda. extremely reliable and sips the gas. Probably around a 8gpm pump would be my guess. The rule of thumb is one hp is roughly equal to one gallon per minute at 1500psi. 13hp in a gasoline engine isn't equal to 13hp in diesel or electric. So the 8gpm pump would probably max the engine out somewhere around 2000psi.My math came out to 2,437.5psi but gasoline engines cheat on their hp ratings. The equation I used was hp/gpm(1500)=max pressure. I don't know near as much about hydraulics as some of these boys so I am sure you will get the info you are looking for.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

brendonv

I've got a 9 horse Honda on my grapple trailer.  Specs say it has a 4GPM pump, 2000 PSI.

Works well, although the upper boom will fall quicker than the pump can fill the cylinder so there is wait time if you drop it too quick.  I hear I can fix that with some sort of valve on the cylinder, just not a necessity right now.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

thecfarm

dwchaisson,everyone is so impressed,as I am too, with your equipment that you built,they all forgot to welcome you to the Forum. Nice looking stuff and than some. What's next to build,a saw mill??  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

york

OK,in my post,i said my 90J needed 20hp to run the Hydro-pack-got to thinking about this,with this trailer you can make it a closed Hyd.system,so you could run more than one Hyd. function at a time-so for a open system 20hp would be overkill-am thinking 13hp would be about right-but i would not use a two stage pump...albert
Albert

dwchaisson

colincb183

Does the loader have a chain driven swivle? Your equipment is pretty impressive, especially since it is homemade. Wow

dwchaisson

thanks
the boom does have a chain driven swivel, thats actualy one of the things i have to modify

jd540b

Here is a set up I used to have on a Hardy Trailer.  Had a 13 hp honda and single stage pump.  Used a 12 gal hyd tank.  Towed it with a 440b.  Cut alot of wood with it...could pick up most anything.  Only thing with towing it was to be very careful going downhill on ice or snow-liked to jack-knife.  Will try to post pic.

logman81

jd540b

One more thing I will add.  Having the trailer powered separately from the machine allows you alot more diversity.  I used to use my as a yard loader alot-where I would skid to it and use it to pile wood.  Also would take it into the woods and unhook it, then skid wood to it, load it on, skid somemore to it load it on...until it was full, then hook it back up and head to the yard.  Very handy that way and much more productive than stumpcutting.

graves logging

Nice set up. I have a clark 664 skidder. And I just bought a 2551 nokka log loader and trailer. I hope to have it all up and running this week

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dwchaisson

Quote from: jd540b on November 17, 2012, 08:42:43 AM
Here is a set up I used to have on a Hardy Trailer.  Had a 13 hp honda and single stage pump.  Used a 12 gal hyd tank.  Towed it with a 440b.  Cut alot of wood with it...could pick up most anything.  Only thing with towing it was to be very careful going downhill on ice or snow-liked to jack-knife.  Will try to post pic.

that is a nice looking setup, slowly getting some mods done on my trailer, picked up a 6 gallon gear pump which i will attach to my 12hp Briggs engine, building an 8 gallon hyd tank, adding some bunks, would like to have it operational for early December and get some trial runs in before the frost sets in and i head to the bush for Christmas break. thanks again guys for all your input on this, it sure eliminates a lot of trial and error

jd540b

If you can, go with a Honda motor.  Starts in the cold really well and will run forever....worth every penny.

york

jd540b,yes Honda all the way-but they no longer list them by the HP rating,only by the cc displacement-so is the 13hp 390 cc??????thanks albert
Albert

woodmills1

nice stuff you made

my blue ox has an 18 hp honda, was the largest at the time that had both electric and pull start

I would not use a 2 stage pump

I do lots of other things besides lift logs, like loading trucks with lumber, putting slabs in customers trucks, moving heavy stuff...

I can envision a night mare where I am moving someting close to where a person may be and the pump kicks to low speed high pressure but then kicks out to high again and I loose momentary control of the boom

a single stage can be manuvered really well in close quarters because I know what to expect

kicking into low speed would change the situation, but probably wouldn't be a big problem because it would really slow down movement

but if it kicked back up it might just take off before I could react
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dwchaisson

Stephen Alford

Hey dwchaisson, great to see another islander on the forum. Would love to see your gear in action. Is that skidder the 6011 or 7018 model ?  ;D
logon

dwchaisson

Thank You Sponsors!