iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old time maine logging

Started by 1270d, November 04, 2012, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

I found this very interesting.  So many questions I've had about the old methods answered in this film.   I love the river drives and the huge band saws.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKCjQdxtO0

KBforester

That's great! Thanks for posting. I'm currently managing some of that forest. Neat to see the comparison.
Trees are good.

MrPete

Thanks for posting.  I don't live too far from where this was taken. I remember as a child seeing the men out on the river drtives walking the logs.  Cherished memories!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Holmes

Great film and also nice to hear a normal voice... ;D
Think like a farmer.

Ron Scott

Great comprehensive video showing a full story of logging history.
~Ron

mad murdock

Way awesome piece of history!! Thanks for putting this up for us to view.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I think I bought that tape.That's how much I liked it. They show those at Fryeburg Fair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've not seen the video, dial-up here. But I believe PBS has shown it on occasion during pledge drives. Kind of like the old guy up in Alaska building his cabin.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Gaiche

Boy wouldn't you like to have lived that era instead of today having all those hydraulics and electric motors doing all that work? Those were some hard working fellas and dangerous conditions also. Thanks for posting. bg

Peter Drouin

now thats hard work, you can tell no fat men :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

You never met the cook. :D My grandfather's uncle Dick was a camp cook and he was tall and big round. When he waved that clever at ya, it was time to move. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 05, 2012, 01:49:16 PM
You never met the cook. :D My grandfather's uncle Dick was a camp cook and he was tall and big round. When he waved that clever at ya, it was time to move. :D

Never trust a skinny Chef.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

g_man

Thank you very much. That was great.

hackberry jake

what was that mill around 21:30? were they making lap siding or something? It probably told on the audio, but I aint got audio at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

1270d

Yes audio called it clapboard siding 

SwampDonkey

Yeah clapboards are pretty common on old houses up this way.

Ken

Thanks for the post.  I am fortunate enough to have a grandfather still live next door to me.  He will be 90 next month and has told me some good stories about when he worked lumber camps and log drives. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Since I never saw the video because of slow connection, I was wondering if the video showed the floating camp on a raft for the cook shack to feed the log drivers. ;D

KBforester

Trees are good.

SwampDonkey

Usually required big wide rivers I think. Up here they were common sites on our river drives up until the early 50's I think. Our main rivers here are big rivers. There was a special name for them rafts, anyone know. ;D

1270d

There was a sort of floating cook shack. Not real big by the looks of it.  I think. They called it a wangen or wannegen or something like that

SwampDonkey

;) wanigan yes. But, also wangan or wangun. :) They weren't real big no.

Thank You Sponsors!