iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's Pecan Time

Started by Magicman, November 03, 2012, 07:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

PatD and I got ahead of the crows today and picked up our first batch of Pecans.  Several of our best trees are really loaded, so during the next few weeks we will be on our knees for sure.

The ground was covered.

And we got about 7 gallons.  There looks to be about 30 gallons still hanging in that one tree.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

I had a pretty good crop last year, and sold several hundred pounds.  This year, as far as I can tell, there ain't a nut on the place.('cept for meself, of course.)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

:D  You just reminded me about the argument discussion that we had last year about how to pronounce Pecan.  Shall we just say that it is a "local" thing 'cause I can not be concerned if y'all got it wrong.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

DanG, thankfully most years some of my trees will produce.  Never all of them the same year, and some years, almost none.  This year a tree that virtually had none last year, is my most productive.  I only have two grafted trees.  The others are volunteer seedlings.

I always say that I am going to fertilize the trees, but Spring comes and I forget.

LeeB

You should get one of those roller things for picking up the nuts. The one that looks like a wisk on a paint roller. Getting down on your knees mostly ain't too hard, but getting back up can be tough.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

There were so many on the ground yesterday that the only thing to do was to "get down".  When the picking are slim, I use one of those wire loop "picker upper's".

I hope that the rain that we are getting this morning will be enough get them to turn loose and fall.

ND rancher

Those look yummy! One of my favorite nuts.We got to taste fresh pecan when my son was in school in Louisiana.Also my favorite pie if made right. 
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

thecfarm

Magicman,some things I don't remember but some I do.  :( This is just like the grits thing.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Here is one of the discussions:  LINK   :)

thecfarm

Noticed reply #3 in the above link.  ;)

Jeff

Tammy and I are in the Market to buy some if anyone raises some extra this year. :) YUM
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Come to Texas,,  you can pick your own, or I'll hand them to ya.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

My thoughts are that there will be some at the Chickin Crispin.   :)

clww

We have another house that we rent out. There's a pecan tree in the neighbor's yard that crosses our fence. Never did get any because of all the squirrels. How do you deal with them?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Our Cabin is not really close to any woods, so the only squirrels are the old Fox squirrels, and they need pecans too.  Crows are our main pecan predators so I do not blow the leaves away until we are ready to pick the pecans up.

clww

I did not know a crow would eat them.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I would say that Pecans are their main food source in our area during the Fall. 

Crows are also the reason for Pecan sprouts in our open fields, etc.  They drop them everywhere.  Then since Pecan trees are deep rooted and have a vicious taproot, they are hard to kill. 

SwampDonkey

MM are you on old plantation ground down there or are these wild stock? My grandparents had friends from one of the Carolinas that would bring a sackful in the fall when they came hunting grouse and woodcock. They owned plantation property. I like pecans better than walnuts. ;D Got my digits in a dish of unsalted nuts right now. Funny how unsalted costs more.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on November 04, 2012, 04:02:31 PM
My thoughts are that there will be some at the Chickin Crispin.   :)

That's well after Christmas though. We both like to snack on pecans rather than fudge and all that other stuff.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 04, 2012, 06:49:20 PM
MM are you on old plantation ground down there or are these wild stock?

There are only two grafted trees that my Mom set out over 70 years ago.  The rest are all volunteer seedlings that came up on fence rows, etc.  A few are good producers, but most are not.  Some produce no fruit at all and some are so small and hard shelled that I do not even bother to pick them up.  What we consider as our best tree has not produced fruit in 3-4 years.  Maybe it has rained during it pollination period or something  ???  ::)

SwampDonkey

I guess I was just interested in the origins. Isn't it the Mississippi River that pecans natively range along and not too far outside except maybe up the tributaries a bit? Kinda like us and the butternut with the two main rivers that run through the province, but in the lower reaches.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I am not aware of the natural origin, but I do know that the delta areas have a heavier concentration of old growth Pecan trees.  The giant Pecan tree that sawed "on the road" a couple of months ago was in this region.

I was very close to one of the major pecan sources in the state: http://pecanhouse.com/

My farm is in the hills and probably 20-25 miles from the Mississippi River delta region.

Norm

I ordered some from these guys last year Pecans if you don't have any luck Jeff.

LeeB

Pecans area major crop in Texas, and a long ways from the Mississippi. Kept many a fronteer family alive. If you believe the history books, De Vaca survived on them and honey while lost during his exploration of the new world.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Could be Lee. Those old Norse houses way up in frozen Labrador had crocks with butternuts inside way before Columbus. They figured they got down into NB in some lower reaches of the Mirimachi River and picked them along the river. Just a theory. But how far would they have travel south? Then why the heck go up there to freeze to death with butternuts. :D

Den Socling

Quote from: Magicman on November 04, 2012, 06:25:27 PM
I would say that Pecans are their main food source in our area during the Fall. 

Crows are also the reason for Pecan sprouts in our open fields, etc.  They drop them everywhere.  Then since Pecan trees are deep rooted and have a vicious taproot, they are hard to kill.

We have a similar problem around here with squirrels and black walnuts. The squirrels stick them everywhere and they have a tap root that won't come out of the ground. You can cut them down year after year and they just come back.

SwampDonkey

This morning I took a video of a red squirrel on the wood pile making sure that walnut didn't sprout, but in his belly. :D

Dodgy Loner

I have a PEE-can tree in the backyard, but the squirrels always eat them before they fall to the ground :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ScottAR

Pecan tree are somewhat common yard tree down here.  I don't personally have any but some of rental property in the family biz do.  Makes for a handy snack if we happen to be working on an empty one the right time of year. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Den Socling

Believe it or not, I've seen miles of pecan orchards in Arizona. Many of the varieties have Indian - excuse me - native American names.

SwampDonkey

I thought it was peach orchards the Spanish planted down there. Maybe they were almond peaches. ;D

martyinmi

Will Pea-Kahn trees grow in Michigan? My lovely bride makes the best Pea-Kahn pie digin_2
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Dodgy Loner

PEE-can trees are native as far north as Illinois and Indiana. I would think that if you were to try to plant a PEE-can tree in Michigan, you would need to make sure your stock is from as far north as possible. Most commercially grown varieties are adapted to long, hot summers and mild winters and would not do well at all in Michigan. Even the mountains of North Georgia, commercial PEE-can varieties don't thrive the way they do in Middle and South Georgia.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Magicman

Dodgy Loner

SwampDonkey

You can always separate the transplants. ;)

Chris Burchfield

I have a couple of trees in the area and have picked up about 15 gallons.  Some paper shell mostly Wallace, I likem all. 
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

We (my wife mostly) have picked up about 200 pounds so far this Fall.  It is a good PEE-CON year.

(Boss, do not buy any  :) ;)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!