iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thread size

Started by smwwoody, November 03, 2012, 07:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Can anyone tell  me what the metric thread size is on a husky 372 for the bolts that hold the starter housing on.  i have one stripped out on one of my saws and want to fix it with a heli-coil.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

GrahamW

Woody

What size is the bolt?

This may give you some help http://www.metrication.com/engineering/threads.html

Regards

smwwoody

my guess is that it is M5-0.8
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Al_Smith

Rather than a heli coil another method which I've used is just run an M-6 tap through it .

Rule of thump for tap hole size is bolt size minus thread spacing .So an M-6  1 would be 5 mill which is  the exact size the stripped out hole would be .A spiral point tap will go right through it slick as whistle plus you don't have to twiddle  around trying to get a coil .Drill out the hole in the starter and you 're in like Flynn .

smwwoody

Al 

I have done that a few times but it does not work well with the hole i am trying to fix.  the hole is the one that the chain brake also pivots on.  to put in the larger bolt you have to also drill out the pivot bushing and then remove the steel bushing that is molded into the starter housing.  on any of the other 3 bolts on the same housing your method would work great.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Al_Smith

Well yeah that would be a problem .I had to do something like that on one of the Stihls I owned at one time .It just so happened to have worked out with a shoulder bolt I found which I whittled  on a little bit in the lathe to work .There's lots of ways of skinning the same cat . ;)

Hilltop366

I don't know the size , but you should be able to look it up in a parts manual.

Al_Smith

I'll tell you about another one of my half-fast fixes just recently .It was an 042 Stihl that never did have a brake .Good old Fred ,AKA Stihlboy sold me the bones of one that had a brake ,no insert for the handle .

So I took a hollow metric "pull dowel" and made an insert with a longer boit and a washer on the end .Probabley works better than the original .I suppose a "purist " would pout about it but it isn't like I'm going to take it to the county fair or a rod and custom show .

gspren

I was never a big fan of helicoils and I have installed many but if there is enough metal around the hole I like thread-serts much better. With a helicoil you need a special helicoil tap and a helicoil insertion tool while a thread-sert uses a bigger standard tap and can be put in with a screw driver. The thread-sert is also much better if it is a bolt that needs to be removed and replaced often.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Put those 'serts in with red Loc-tite then they won't back out .

joe_indi

The size of the screw is M5X20
When I get a stripped thread on an M5X20 here is what I do, which I have found to be the simplest and quickest solution.
I use the screw of the Stihl handlebar as a substitute. I use the one that comes at the bottom, a P6X19 screw.
It is a self threading screw and easily cuts a thread in Mag-Al or even aluminum.
Use thread locker though.

Joe

Al_Smith

Aha the old self tappers .Speaking of which it seems more than one person has unknowingly tried to substitute an M5 for this type screw used to thread into the thermal plastic .It won't work .

Fact as I type in my shed is an 038 Mag  that gave over 20 years of service they tried to use M5's to hold the lower portion of the handle on with .Too long they vibrated right through the oil tank .

Had to do a case split and a weld job to repair that one .

gspren

Quote from: joe_indi on November 05, 2012, 11:51:07 PM
The size of the screw is M5X20
When I get a stripped thread on an M5X20 here is what I do, which I have found to be the simplest and quickest solution.
I use the screw of the Stihl handlebar as a substitute. I use the one that comes at the bottom, a P6X19 screw.
It is a self threading screw and easily cuts a thread in Mag-Al or even aluminum.
Use thread locker though.

Joe

M5X20 does not sound like a metric thread designation, most M5 threads that I have seen are M5X.8, M5X.5, or even M5X .75. What does the 20 mean?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

Google M5X20 and it appears to be a common size.

M5 is thread size, and 20 is the length

.8 likely is the pitch
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on November 06, 2012, 08:36:28 PM
.8 likely is the pitch
FWIW metric threads are always given in thread spacing as oppossed to SAE which are threads per inch .Many of us know that but some do not ---now they do . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!