iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling in/around Metter GA

Started by NewbieInGA, November 03, 2012, 08:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewbieInGA

We are new to this and are trying to find out the best way to have already downed large trees (white oak, cypress, maple, pine) milled up on site without our own equipment or large vehicles.  Where would we start with this?  We are in Metter GA, about an hour west of Savannah just off of I-16.  The land (about 100 acres) was cleared of most pine about a year ago and the remaining timber was left to rot, there are some very large white oak and large cypress that could be used for a multitude of things I would think. 

Thanks for any tips, thoughts, suggestions! 

bandmiller2

Welcome,sounds like you need to make a deal with someone local with a portable mill and machinery to move logs.Usally the fella will want to come over and see what he's in for and strike a deal.Of course you could always buy a mill and tractor and wade into the swamp like the rest of us. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

NewbieinGA,100 acres,that is alot with small equipment.That will take some time to get the wood out and work among what is down all ready,sounds like you need one guy to haui the wood out and one guy to run the sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NewbieInGA

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 03, 2012, 08:36:15 AM
Welcome,sounds like you need to make a deal with someone local with a portable mill and machinery to move logs.Usally the fella will want to come over and see what he's in for and strike a deal.Of course you could always buy a mill and tractor and wade into the swamp like the rest of us. Frank C.

Thanks!  Yes, eventually we would like our own equipment, but this 100 acres has been down for about a year and we'd like to get it up before it rots, isn't that 2 years from when it was cut?   There are some really nice size oaks and cypresses and pretty maple... It'd be a shame to see it all wither away to ash.

thecfarm - yes, we've thought about that too... At least for what is down already to get it to a manageable level. 

Nomad

Check the "Find-a-Database" at the top of the page.  There are several portable custom sawyers in Georgia.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

I would be happy to come and take a look. Sent you a PM.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on November 03, 2012, 08:22:46 PM

I was just about to recommend he contact you.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

NewbieInGA

Quote from: customsawyer on November 03, 2012, 08:22:46 PM

Great, thanks!  I did get it and will follow up shortly.

Thank You Sponsors!