iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw mill table feed

Started by c greenham, November 02, 2012, 06:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c greenham

Good morning everyone,  Just looking for some ideas of a feed system  for a saw mill.  My mill has a table top I manually push the bench toward the saw but I would ideas of how to feed it by some power source.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards

bandmiller2

"C" from your description it sounds like an aussie setup.A very good,but not cheap, setup is hydraulic motor and wire cable on a drum.There are needle valves that adjust the feed wile allowing full speed return.There are many ways to do power feed some hydrostatic lawn tractors have gear boxes that would be handy.The lashup Belsaw uses on their sawmills would not be hard to build.I'am sure outhers will be along with suggestions. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to The Forum cgreen  sounds like we got another Circular miller ;) ;D ;D 8) Your doin it Old School hand feed  :) I take it your running a mill not too different from one of the mills I am running atm Is yours one of the timber frame ones ??? Hyd feed works are not hard to rig up cost a little but if your willing to wait you can source the components at alot better cost to you out of the USA  ;) ;D Heres the one I am running atm 

it runs of the tractors hyd pump system so its just a motor and the valve on the mill  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

barbender

Chris, what moves on that set up, the log or the blade?
Too many irons in the fire

Meadows Miller

Gday

the log moves forward and back on the yellow steel plate table the pin gauge is the thing on the front just under the saw hood the yellow semi circle cover in the middle Mate   ;) ;D

I have not sawn bugger all on it so far as I have been doing other stuff building and running the other mill with the timberking B-20 doing cypress & recycled along with getting the new site, log supply and everything organized to hit it hard ohh and theres another big supprise coming too by the looks of things Mate  :o :) ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris

c greenham

Good day, all my mill is homemade it has a wooden top which sets on a number of wooden rollers and you push the table past the 32 inch saw blade.  I need some sort of device to pull the table past the blade.  I will try and post some pics mill later .

Regards
C greenham

Meadows Miller

Cool Looking forward to the pics  alot of timbers been sawn on those style of mill over the years Finland ,Europe Egland ,Ireland and Aust and NZ off course ;) ;D What are you sawing with it just stuff for your own use or for otheres as well and it looks to me from the map you are Canadian where abouts are you located Mate  ???

Regards Chris

bandmiller2

Mr Greenham,what are you using for a saw sounds like a cordwood/bucksaw if so they are designed for crosscut and would be very hard to push ripping.The tooth should have hook to work well ripping.Forgive me if you know all about this.Long term a saw with replacable bits would be worthwile.Keep your eyes open for "V" groove castor wheels they run well on "^" angle iron and will push much easier. Frank C.

c greenham

Good day Frank C

The saw is a 32 inch inserted tooth, the mill is made from all wooden rails made from 2x4 and 21 inch rollers there is a plwood bench on top for the table the table is pushed past the saw blade cutting the desired lumber, very simple an inexpensixe saw mill but it is hard work in an eight hour shift me and a friend can produce about 2500 bf.  I need some way to pull the table past the blade this will reduce the work load and save my back LOL.  The engine I am using is a 33hp lester petter.

I will post pics later.

Regards
Corey

Meadows Miller

Gday Corey The Poms/English also used alot of mills with just a hand crank setup a small dai drum for feed and a large one for reverse cheap and pretty dang effective and you could prob rig something like that up pretty cheaply while you put a hyd or friction feed together Mate

Regards Chris

c greenham

c greenham

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/19514/Water_Dischare_2011_009%7E1.jpg[/img]   Pic of saw mill which iam looking for ideas to pull table past blade.

Regards
Corey

bandmiller2

Nice setup Corey,thats well worth a hydraulic motor valve and cable.What holds the log stable on the table,any way to dog it down.? Probibly be good form for a fella to lay off the screech until he's done milling. Frank C.

c greenham

Any one have any idea for a simple table feed system for my Mill

?

Bothy_Loon

The very first saw I operated 45+years ago was a circular saw with a wooden table 20feet long running on wooden rollers. The feed system was just like a starting handle for a car. The shaft of this went under the bench & had a simple toothed sprocket which engaged with a rack which went all the way along the underside of the table. Sometimes it was quicker to pull the bench back after the cut, by hand instead of using the handle. All you had to do was pull the handle away from the rack about a couple of inches & this released the sprocket from meshing with the rack. Maybe it would be possible for you to rig up a chain along the bottom of the table (fitted to the table firmly) This would then be the rack & on the handle you could fit a sprocket that would fit into the chain. The shaft of the handle could be fitted to the frame of the bench with a couple of plummer block type bearings. If I can be of any more help, just ask.

wheelinguy

What powers the mill?  Is there enough power to run another belt and pulley system to move it like an old chase or lane mill?  What about a cable and pulley system like my old TK 1220?

Thank You Sponsors!