iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OSB stickers

Started by markkelly, November 01, 2012, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

I have a bunch of OSB scraps and thinking about making them into to stickers has any tried it.   pros and cons.
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

jimF

It would be safe to use them, but they will not last long.  Don't use any material that contains dirt though.

WDH

Unless the OSB is 3/4" thick or thicker, you could have too little air flow and get stain/mold/mildew.  Some species of wood are more susceptible to stain/mold/mildew like maple or pine.  If the OSB is the 7/16" sheathing stuff, I would say that it is too thin for most species. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jcbrotz

I did it ONCE. Wanna know why I didn't do it twice? :-X

MOLD  :'( it did make some neatly spalted maple boards but not in a good way
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

jimF

The reason OSB stickers don't last long is because OSB is made out of compressed flakes.  When the compressed flakes gain moisture they expand and break the glue bonds.  If the drying conditions for the lumber is properly controlled the stickers should not gain that much moisture.  And if the lumber and the stickers are not dirty neither should develop mold.
As WDH mentioned, thickness is important and may be the reason for high humidity in the stack as there would not be even air flow.  Stickers are usually 3/4" thick.

Thank You Sponsors!