iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fixing nelson paint gun

Started by Sam Brown, November 01, 2012, 07:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Brown

This is a little embarrassing to admit but I am wondering if anyone else has trouble putting new leathers in their old D-103 paint gun?  What technique(s) seem to work best for you?

And has anyone figured out how to avoid the end-of-shoot dribble of a few drops?  Seems vexing to have paint just fall on the ground instead of the trunk.

shelbycharger400

If paint is dribblin , the needle is not set right, or has a grove worn around it where it seats in the air cap.
YOU can fix needles that have a ring, by using 300-400 grit paper, sanding it in an orbital direction, and rolling it between your thumb and index finger. When you put the needle back into the leather packing, use a small amount of moly lube.
I have used air tool oil for a really dry and leaking leather packing. Mineral oil works too.  pull the needle out to do it for the best results. the packing nut needs to be really loose too. Use only minimal amount of tension, just enough so it dosnt blow out air or paint, too much you will reck the leather or worse the needle sticks and not seats.

O, and I did that with my model 95, and 98 binks guns. , one is on a pressure pot, the other is a siphon feed with full pressure control to the pint cup. Its the cats meaw when layin primer or clear.  Its been a while, but if I remember right, I have an inline regulator before the cup regulator set to 38 psi, my cup set at 8-10, my settings on the guns are 1/4 trigger before the paint comes out. With my air cap my pattern is 12-14 in wide at 2 feet from the surface.  Pull the trigger, Let er buck and mooooove! 

petefrom bearswamp

No needle in the nozzle on a Nel-spot gun that I know of.
I have replaced many leathers without any dribbling problem.
A little wd40 on the leathers made the slide in easily.
You can get longer life from the leathers by storing your gun in oil during periods of idleness.
No dribbling of paint on the ground, but every item of clothing and my glasses suffered  from over-spray.
Been retired for 6 years now but still have shoes/boots that are blue.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!