iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You guys are a bad influence

Started by billm67, November 01, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billm67

About 8 years ago I was partially heating my house with wood.  I bought a used stihl 044 off ebay that turned out to have a scored piston.  I tore it down and rebuilt it and I was hooked.  I was a chainsaw junkie.  Dual port mufflers....big bore kits.  I was chasing after every beat up broke down 044/046 I could scare up.  I moved and didn't have to use wood to heat.  Sold the last of my saw stuff.  Now come forward to this monday...we were in the path of Sandy (Central PA) and my wife said...I would like to to cut down a few of the trees in the yard.  There are too many and I don't want to have to worry every time the wind blows.  So I go over to the local lawn and garden place and pick up an ECHO CS400.  I go out yesterday and start limbing one of the trees and I feel that the saw just doesn't have alot of guts.  I come here and sign up and have already ordered a full chisel chain and when I got home from work I pulled the limiteds out and richened up the high circuit on the carb.  I was reading about the muffler mod....I'm hooked again.  So much for the warranty.  Besides the saw will probably run alot better richened up and unplugged.  I admit it....I have fallen off the wagon and I'm seem to be having a relapse.  Any one have and 044 for sale! 
Echo CS-400
2003 Dodge Ram 2500

billm67

Echo CS-400
2003 Dodge Ram 2500

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, billm67. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

martyinmi

Welcome billm67.
Pretty good group over here.
There are a few in particular that I blame for influencing the paths I've traveled as of late! ;)

Ya'll know who you are smiley_ignore no_no
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

billm67,welcome to the forum, By the way you ain't see nothing yet. When you want a sawmill,we'll get you again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

AdkStihl

Too rich and you'll lose HP.
I wouldnt tune it without a tach unless you have a really good ear.
What is that saw rev limited at?
You'll also want to richen the "L" once any muffler mods are done.
J.Miller Photography

billm67

When I have tuned them in the past...I will fatten them up until they start to get a little break/blubber in the rev's and lean it up an 1/8 of a turn.  When I pulled the caps on the CS400 yesterday the high side took almost a full turn out until it started to break up a little.  I would rather run the saw a little fat and protect the cylinder.  Does anyone know what the exhaust temp on one of these should be?  I have an infrared thermometer and could tune it that way as well. 

I have run/raced nitro RC cars for the last 10 years or so and they are ALL about tuning.  If the ambient air temp changes 10 degrees...you have to retune the high side.  30% Nitro makes them very fussy.
Echo CS-400
2003 Dodge Ram 2500

Thank You Sponsors!