iDRY Vacuum Kilns

New forum catagory..

Started by grweldon, November 01, 2012, 01:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I've mentioned this in passing threads before, but I'd like to suggest that a new catagory is added to the forum.  One for dimensional lumber construction, green and KD.  This would include houses and barns that weren't timber-framed, such as the one I'm building.  I don't know how much work this would be Jeff, but I'm assuming it would be just a bit of typing and would only take a few minutes?  Is there some specific reason we wouldn't want to have a catagory like this?

Just a thought! 
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jeff

There is no reason why you can't use the general board for that. There are many instances of those type of posts over the last decade on the forum, including my own.   There are many people here that think we have far to many categories as it is, and I'm sort of included in that thinking.  What happens is that when you create a new category, new members that come to the Forestry Forum tend to pigeon whole themselves in that category that brought them here rather than using the Forestry Forum as a whole.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

can we have another chainsaw board?   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

i'm bringing some loppers to the pigroast next year.  I'll be a podiatrist
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 01, 2012, 07:13:58 PM
can we have another chainsaw board?   :D

No Way!    I get beat up everytime I venture into the one we already have.     :D :D :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 01, 2012, 08:29:20 PM
i'm bringing some loppers to the pigroast next year.  I'll be a podiatrist

You are a brave brave man.

Magicman

The toes look worse now than when I pictured them, so I sent them to the woodshed.  Anyway it would have taken bolt cutters. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

We was thinking on replacing them with 5 different sizes of artificial toes, whittled from sweet gum.

doctorb

While I can not recite this joke here on the FF, one of the jokes I tell most often is entitled "Toelio". Please respect my restraint, because this Magicman toe extravaganza is the absolute perfect lead in to it's telling.  I guess someone will have to remind me at next summer's pig roast.  If I see someone with a bleeding foot, Im sure I'll be reminded.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

Artificial sweetgum toes  ???   :D :D :D :D :D    Dan Shade...Pig Picker and Podiatrist.  A man of multiple talents  ;D.

The chainsaw board is a dark and gloomy place (just kidding..........some chainsaw people are actually OK   :D :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I hate to admit it, but Sweetgum just might be an improvement.

Looks spalted.   :-\

DR Buck

Quote from: WDH on November 01, 2012, 10:43:20 PM

The chainsaw board is a dark and gloomy place (just kidding..........some chainsaw people are actually OK   :D :D).

They sure are passionate about the color of their chainsaws.   ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

grweldon

Alrighty then Jeff...you're the boss!   ;)
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Cedar Savage

I was thinking of posting some pics about chainsaw carving & didn't really know where to post. I was wondering if there were any plans on a Chainsaw Carving & Artistic Projects board, or some such?

some place for stuff like this....

Thanks
Cedar Savage
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Jeff

:)

Quote from: Jeff on November 01, 2012, 02:28:10 PM
There is no reason why you can't use the general board for that. There are many instances of those type of posts over the last decade on the forum, including my own.   There are many people here that think we have far to many categories as it is, and I'm sort of included in that thinking.  What happens is that when you create a new category, new members that come to the Forestry Forum tend to pigeon whole themselves in that category that brought them here rather than using the Forestry Forum as a whole.

Okrafarmer

I am one of the people who would vote for more categories.

I like GRWeldonPecan Slayer's category for stick-built houses and buildings.
I have been advocating a section for forestry, logging, and sawmill history.
Another good one would be Heavy Equipment.

Some new boards could be sub-boards, or child-boards, of existing categories.

I don't remember the whole story, but it seems like the Food! Food! Food! category came about because there was so much talk of food it was cluttering up the general topics category.

When there are certain things that we talk about a LOT, it would be so nice to be able to skim down through them to be able to see what people are talking about. Or to search a category to find what you are looking for, without having to search a much broader category and dodge around all the threads where the topic you are researching just so happens to be mentioned in passing, rather than in focus.

Just my 3 cents. (inflation)  :-X

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Magicman, is that a burl I see? Looks like a cat-face or two, also.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

woodmills1

I have a joke I can tell

Why does a chicken coop have 2 doors

because ifin it had 4 it would be a

sedan
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

beenthere

Agree with the Boss.  Plenty of 'boards' now. 

And there is already one for 'jokes'  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Quote from: Cedar Savage on November 24, 2012, 08:43:40 PM
I was thinking of posting some pics about chainsaw carving & didn't really know where to post. I was wondering if there were any plans on a Chainsaw Carving & Artistic Projects board, or some such?

some place for stuff like this....

Thanks
Cedar Savage

What's wrong wioth posting that in the general woodworking board? It has everything from benches to turning projects and even a few threads on stick built projects.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: beenthere on November 24, 2012, 10:41:19 PM
Agree with the Boss.  Plenty of 'boards' now. ;)

Oh, come on, now, it isn't like we're asking for a whole board just to deal with the topic of G-R-I--T-S :-X

Warbird

Norm

I don't think some of you understand the amount of work Jeff and the Admin's do keeping up with what is here now. A bunch of sub-categories only adds to that.

I think I'll defer to Jeff on what needs to be a category here.  :)