iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rancher 455 problem

Started by lowpolyjoe, November 01, 2012, 11:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey All

Just found the forum.  Looks like a great community

I have relatively little chainsaw experience.   Beginning of this year I got a Husqvarna Rancher 455 to replace my garbage Ryobi saw.   I like the rancher but yesterday I did some thing stupid and now I'm having some problems

I was cutting a tree bent under the weight of another tree.  I'm an ass - I tried to cut a wedge out of the pinch side and got the bar stuck.  I'm so angry with myself.   So stupid...and I have a bunch of hurricane cleanup to do...

After a bunch of work I got the saw free but I'm having some issues now. 

The wheel at the end of the bar was not spinning freely.  I took the bar off he saw and tried spinning it.  It would spin about 3/4 of a turn then get stuck.  There was a ton of gunk stuck in the wheel teeth so I cleaned it and now it's so-so.   I can't see any indication of a bent tooth on the cog.  Maybe the bearing inside is destroyed?

I was going to try using it with the questionable bar because I wanted to continue the cleanup but I couldn't get the clutch cover back on.    There is a loop of metal inside the cover that goes around the clutch.   It seems like it doesn't fit anymore?  that metal loop is either too small or shifted over to the point that it doesn't line up and  I can't secure the cover in place.    I've removed And replaced the cover plenty of times in the past with no problem.

I did some yanking on the saw when it was Stuck out of frustration.  What did I break?   I'm so frustrated and angry with myself.   Not sure when I can get to a chainsaw shop given the conditions post-Sandy here in NJ.   Wondering if there is anything I can do.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Joe

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
And welcome to some of the same problems most of us experienced one time or another.

Pics of the problem will help.

Posting pics starts with setting up a gallery within your profile, and a help thread can be found in the "Behind the Forum" forum on the home page.

As to the bar tip being tight, I'd go ahead and run it and watch for hot spots. If it's ruined already, running it won't hurt much.

Don't fret, as it is just part of the game. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

It sounds like you set the chain brake since removing the clutch cover. Pull the handle back on the cover until it clicks, then you should be able to put it back on the saw. Good luck with your cleanup and be careful, lot of danger in a storm mess.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the responses.  I'll look into setting up a gallery.  I'm restricted to smart-phone use so everything online is a pain.   Luckily the iPhone is really capable. 

I tried the chain brake idea but I can't get it to stay in the two different positions with the cover off.  It clicks but then clicks back when I let go.   I made a quick video but forgot to demonstrate that. 

Maybe this will be useful in diagnosis. 

Check out this video on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/MMzm58iD-Ps

Thanks a lot,
Joe

Little John

Loop of metal is definately chain break, happens to me all the time when I get in a hurry.  Husky dealer has a tool to reset, or you can.  Kinda put the cover on so the cogs at the top line up and work the chain break while tilting the cover forward a bit.  Gotta hold the cover on a bit.  Should reset, if not, dealer will do it...  Takes a little persuasion to make it happen....

beenthere

Need a better link to the video.   ;)

Edit:  Thanks for upgrading the link.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cut4fun

Clutch cover problem is easy fix. Just be patient.  I usually remove clutch and clutch drum.  ;)  Then put cover on and reset.  ;D 5mins at most.  Then grease clutch bearing and reassemble.  If you are in Ohio bring it by and I'll fix it for free.

His link works perfect for me. But for those with life's challenges here you go.

http://youtu.be/MMzm58iD-Ps

Jeff

Check this youtube video for a way to reset the chain brake in the cover. Once you know how it works, you might come up with another solution as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlG2otFZqk
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

grweldon

Good info to know since I now own a Husky!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

shelbycharger400

I have pinched a bar tip before to the point the roller wouldnt turn.
I used the scrench and carefully wedged it at several places on both sides and "opened" it back up. It still works fine, about 10-30 chords later, still have it on the saw.

lowpolyjoe

You guys are awesome!   Thanks a lot for the help.   It was indeed the chain brake.  I came up with a method to reset it after watchin the one posted video clip.  Great info.

Got the saw running and did a little cleanup his afternoon.  Bar seems fine.  I did a little 'openning' around the pinched tip.  Haven't done enough cutting to see if its gonna be reliable long term but it will get me started.   

Here's my solution... I was too cheap to give up a deep wall socket :-) but that is a great little DIY tool that I might end up making if this issue comes up a lot

http://youtu.be/UuFp1kzjGm8

Thanks again
Joe

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 01, 2012, 06:03:44 PM
If you are in Ohio bring it by and I'll fix it for free.

Generous offer..  Appreciate it. Im in north jersey... not a good place to be after this *DanG storm.  Luckily I got it sorted out on my own. 

Thanks
Joe

Jeff

Way ta go Joe!  Take care while you are out there running that saw during your clean up. Be careful. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

martyinmi

Glad you got 'er going Joe! 8)

Has anyone ever told you that you sound like Ray Romano? One of my all time favorite comics :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

lowpolyjoe

Heh - funny, I have actually gotten the Ray Ramono comment once before.   Must be my enormous Italian nose.... Makes us all sound the same :-). 

Thanks for all well wishing - Im taking it slow with the cleanup since I'm not too experienced.   This one tree is a good size and layin on 4 or 5 smaller ones it crushed.   I'm aware that is a pretty dangerous situation since there is the potential for spring action release. 

Hope anyone else in the northeast is doing ok...  I shouldn't complain.  Got no power for the whole week so far, but at least my family and house are safe.   Many weren't so lucky

Take care
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!