iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fair Price Question

Started by Believer, November 01, 2012, 08:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Believer

I noticed my neighbor has a huge white oak tree down.  I have the equipment to cut it up-- saw, crane, diesel chipper.  But I don't know how much the resulting saw logs would be worth.  This would be the first log through my mill.  If he and I got together, what do you think would be a fair transaction?  This down tree is in the country but it's in a location I'm sure he will want to move it from.

NWP

Tell him you'll take the logs in trade for helping him cut/chip the tree.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Al_Smith

I have no idea where you are at but they don't pay much in this area for one tree .Fact they don't pay much for a bunch of trees truth be known .Sad to say but actually locally the fine hardwood logs can get more for firewood as for saw logs except you have the hassle of processing it .

Do what you feel is fair but were it I ,I'd  retrieve the log ,cut the top up in firewood length and call it even Steven .

beenthere

I'd do the same as Al and NWP especially if it was for a neighbor.
If he's looking for money, he can let you know that at the time. Then offer to help him get it sold to whoever might buy it. Eventually you will end up with the wood.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Solomon

I agree with AL-Smith  &  Beenthere.      smiley_chop
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Magicman

Here is what I did in a similar circumstance:

The lightening struck White Oak tree in the center of the picture.

Felled.

Unloading the logs at home.

How I left his place.  Firewood stacked and ready to haul and the limbs piled and ready to burn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Magicman,

You are a true Southern Gentleman.  You did it exactly as it should have been done, with extreme consideration of the person wanted the tree gone.

Many blessings to you and your family...

PS, what model Stihl is that in the picture?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Misfit

Magicman - your pictures truly are "worth a thousand words". As someone who is still waiting for the right time to get my mill, I have learned so many "tips and tricks" from you and many others on here that I feel I'll be able to hit the ground running when I'm ready to make sawdust. A genuine thanks to all!
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Magicman

Thanks, Stihl 310.  Not a "production" saw, but a good "sawmill" and general purpose saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Sometime this fall I have a dead bur oak to drop for a buddy of mine which would normally be a 100 dollar job or more just to put it on the ground .

Bur oak has next to no market value except for cribbing but it's giant .Over 100 feet and over 4 feet at the cut .I doubt seriously if it were even on the ground sliced into 16 plus foot long logs a local mill would pony up over 75 bucks for it a hundred at best .

You can do the figuring but it's over 4 at the cut,65 foot to the first limb and 3 feet there  plus another log up above the crotch .Probabley another 12-16 and two feet on the skinny end .

drobertson

Neighbors are just that, neighbors,  this sounds like a good week end project to me, one tree, get er done, make a small burn, cook some dogs, or whatever else sounds good,  and enjoy the time with them.  I love and cherish my neighbors, we take care of our neck of the woods.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mikeb1079

cleaning up his land and cutting/removal of tree in exchange for the sawlogs sounds reasonable to me.  i don't know what your intentions are with the lumber but if you intend to eventually sell it then you may want to consider paying some small amount for the logs.  only reason i mention it is that if your neighbor thinks you got the logs "for free"  (which you actually didn't b/c of your labor and expensive equipment in the removal process) and then sees you sell them down the road it may lead to hard feelings.  just something to keep in mind.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

drobertson

I have to come back and say, if this is a good tree, meaning worth while lumber, and it takes a saturday to do the job, maybe two saturdays, at best, not knowing the quality of the logs, so the lumber is up for grabs as to where it will end up.  I always resented keeping tabs on pocket change, At 15 to 20 bucks in fuel, and some good times, if time is permitting, with the neighbors, this just sounds right up my alley.  I have done this quite a few times, and when vacation time comes around we have some pretty good watch dogs keeping an eye on the place, not to mention, feeding the flock.  It all works out.  I love our rural area, and would not trade it for anything. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Believer

Al_Smith

Quote from: drobertson on November 01, 2012, 07:10:43 PM
     I love our rural area, and would not trade it for anything.
Nor would I .Because I've got about 20 big oaks and maybe 200 -400 other trees I can mark my territory on like a male dog but I'm a tad too old to hike my leg lest I fall over .

captain_crunch

M_M
How much would you charge to come to Oregon :o :o That nice of a clean up I could keep you busy fer years
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

I would come and visit your place for free my friend.  And I just might clean up....especially my plate after lunch.   digin1

drobertson

I always believe what goes around comes around, and this morning it proved true again.  Went to another mill again trying to see if I could help, upon returning home I noticed what appeared to be a pile of junk in my sons pick-up.  dropping off the fuel at the shed  I walked around the house and saw this magnificent two seater 16' ladder stand.  Nathan said Brian wanted me to have it, he was switching to the tri pod, so there you go, neighbors taking care of nieghbors again.  I went to fred's mill just to help, no cost, get home and have a nice ladder stand to put up.  Absolutly mind blowing how these things work out.

Magicman

Appreciation is a good thing.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!