iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction matting

Started by Okrafarmer, October 31, 2012, 06:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I had an exciting call from a guy today who is interested in buying construction matting lumber. He plans to build what he calls pallets for heavy equipment to use while crossing or working on soft ground. He wants to use sweetgum lumber, because he thinks this is the cheapest option, but I was wondering about offering him some other species that might be more rot resistant. I was also wondering about what he or I might do to make the SG more rot-resistant. Cresosote?

I hope I can work out a deal with him, as he is planning on building hundreds of these things, and will need a lot of lumber. Sweetgum is plentiful around here and not in great demand. What other species should I offer him? White oak, black locust, baldcypress, others? He is not real happy about the idea of yellow pine, thinks it's too brittle. How is sweetgum strength compared to yellow pine?

Also, any thoughts about kiln drying the lumber, versus using it green?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

rockman

Don't be to concerned with the sweetgum not being rot resistent, the way these "mats" are used on construction jobs, they will not last long enough to rot anyway. Bulldozers, 40 ton haul trucks, excavators, reckless operators take thier toll on these things.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

ladylake

Use it green, if dried it will suck in moister and rot sooner.  How much per bf?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Axe Handle Hound

Every swamp mat/timber mat I've seen is a combination of whatever species of log was available at the time.  Oak, sycamore, maple, you name it and it's been used.  +1 on what Rockman said as well.  Keep in mind that depending on the nature of the project they're being used for having them preserved with oil or creosote might make them unacceptable for the job.  Using oil soaked mats in a wetland would be a no-no.   

drobertson

Okra, If I understand the science right, gum of any type is very tough, and this is what is needed.  Also, If I understand it right, allot of these are left behind due to the nature of the bogg. So whatever is cost effective is the norm,  Kinda like cutting tools, they don't last forever, and are considered expendable.  Cut what he wants and don't look back.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bandmill Bandit

in this country we call it em "rig mats". heavy duty steel frame with any thing from 4x6 to 3x 10/12. the manufactures dont like to pay much fro the lumber and they dont like to pay for at least 90 days unless you give em 5% off anything else in the market.

http://www.dixiemat.ca/?gclid=CJK38-yxrLMCFW1yQgodznYA2A

http://www.rigmats.com/

Those are a couple of examples of the better manufactures. Its a cut throat market be careful. A lot of the lumber that goes into that product is waste timber that comes off of lease clearing and lease road clearing.

If your thinking the pipeline will be a good market, be careful. A LOT(acres and acres) stacked as high as a loader can reach  of that kind of product is in inventory all ready for that job. I know one company that has been building and stock piling as hard as they can for almost 2 years and they are not the only ones. they have a enough built to cover over 100 miles (according to one of the builders welders)  on both side of the pipe line.

Treated  with any thing reduces the usability and there for the price you can get for them.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

sealark37

Sweet gum is the timber of choice for blocking and jacking pads in the heavy equipment industry.  It is light and almost impossible to split.  Treating or soaking with oil or other preservatives will render your product unsaleable, due to environmental concerns.  As noted above, there are many producers and competitors in the market, so make sure that you can collect for what you do.  Regards, Clark

Magicman

Green Sweetgum is a favored species for mat builders here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawdust Lover

Okra, Not to take the wind out of your sales but let me share something with you. We had a company that made matts here in southwest Va, a  few years ago, he was making a ton of matts and was using a ton of lumber. There were 4 or 5 sawmills cutting only for him and couldn't cut for anyone else because he was keeping them so busy. That matt buisness is a very competitive buisness. After a while all the sawmills were competing against each other and the matt guy went out of buisness taking the sawmills with him. If you should cut for him great! But dont forget the little guy.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 31, 2012, 09:01:33 PM
But dont forget the little guy.

The little guy is where your gravy come from.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

That's all good information, guys. Thanks a bunch. I will not let this be my whole business. Poston is right, the little guys are the gravy, and that is what I definitely want. I'll try not to give more than a day a week to this guy, if I do get into it. I just figured, if it's mutually agreeable to me and him, it's good to have something steady to keep some of the bills paid.

I will definitely make terms that payment is due upon pickup (or delivery, whichever the case may be). The little guys all pay me that way. If the big guys won't play ball, they can go make somebody else poor.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Not to mention, it would be good for me to have an outlet for the inevitable river of sweetgummery that will be flowing relentlessly my way.  ;)

thecfarm

The company I use to work for was always looking to save a dollar. They did not care that the place they had did a good job,always on time, and did a quality job on the product that was brought for the last 10 -15 years. If they could buy it cheaper,they would jump on it. Than if it wasn't as good,oh well,the company is saving money. Once they needed a bunch of pallets made with 2X4 inch stringers hard wood with ½ plywood. Maybe 4 feet wide,just about as wide as a trailer truck door. We got a bunch in,no idea,200 maybe,from a cheaper place. They made the 2X4 stringers out of 1½ X 3½ inch lumber. Even though the spec sheet said a full 2X4. The forklift tines were all just about 2 iches thick and you had to drive just about all the way into the pallets or they would break in two because of the weight. Those did not last long.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

I will sell them quality lumber. If they want it, they'll be back. If they don't, I'll concentrate on cedar, walnut, and other artisan wood. If they have something they need tweaked, like thickness, I will be happy to tweak it for them. If they want it cheaper, I will call around and find out who can do it cheaper for them. They will be back eventually.

Thank You Sponsors!