iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar, doing my Homework

Started by shelbycharger400, October 30, 2012, 09:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

This was a low grade log, did a 4 in thick mantle, a 2 1/2 slab, and a 3 1/2 slab, now its clear for the first 6 feet, Its 9 feet long  Its 17 at the small end, 20 at the big end.
Its 7 + inches thick so brings to the question. I know I can cut it down to 3-4 inches above the bunks .  I was thinking instead of splitting this one in half and making 2 mantles, that Id do 2 slabs at 2 1/2  checked it would be able to 2 slabs at 1 3/4, its 4 inches at bottomed out right now, leaving roughly a 3 in mantle on the bottom.  .  Beings its as large as it is, what should I charge.   I have been getting $3-4 a board foot for 10 in wide and up, last biggest one I had was 16 in wide.  O, and this is leading up to a nother biggins with less rot out back.

Magicman

Do you want some more of those "empty logs"  ???

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Clay Hound

Wow Magicman! :o  Was that a custom sawing job?  If so, was the customer happy with the end product? ???
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Magicman

Those empty logs were given to me to move after a saw job and I have had them stacked in my yard for several years, just where I unloaded them.  There are many things that I should/could do with them, but I have not had time to scratch where I itch. 

I picked up another saw job tonight and I just loaded my stuff on the truck today.  That makes 8 folks that are ready and waiting on me.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Most of my ERC around here are solid in the middle.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Solomon

Red Ceder is abundant and plentiful here.  I have charged tree guys to dump it on my property and accepeted hollow logs along with nice solid ones.  Its not so bad being in the city.  There seems to be a small marginal market for everything.  The only drawback is , you have to deal with everything and be very shrude. As everyone in the city is.

Just another Picture of another project I got myself into.  Pole Barn for my neighbor.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

1woodguy

Magicman,
  I'm curious are those rotted or did the big black ants hollow them?
Haven't seen any quite that bad
I have noticed that a lot of the cedars here that are over 24inches seem to have rot several foot at base
  If your loading by hand I reckon they are easier to load ;D
   If they were mine I wouldn't waste them I would get some red dye and mix up some concrete add alittle rebar and just fill in the hollows....... After it sets up I could saw out some nice heavy slabs  :D
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Cedarman

The wood has to be rotten for carpenter ants to move in and hollow the soft wood out.  They will not remove solid wood.
I have 4 truck loads of junk cedar logs.  We are slabbing, drying, and grinding them into sawdust for specialty markets. 
$4.00 a foot is a nice return.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I usually take the hollow logs and make flower pots. They sale fast.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

metalspinner

I wouldn't mind a trailer load of hollow cedars like Magicman has.  They would make good planters. Cut either crossways or lengthwise.  Smaller ones about 10"-12",  would be good for window boxes. A metal bracket would need to be fabricated for a windowbox, though.

Looking at the biggest one on his trailer, I can see pedestals for a table or desk. The desk pedestal could be cleaned up inside and drawers added.  If your careful, the original face of the log can be used for the drawer fronts.

The larger ones can also make cool shelving units - ripped in half, cleaned up inside, and stood vertically. Shelves and lighting can be added.  I know several people that would love that sort of thing.  One is a rock and fossil collector. ;) There are many, many cabins in this part of the state, too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 31, 2012, 08:23:13 AM
Or make Stumpkins.  LINK

I enjoyed that link Magic. I have never seen stumpkins.
But I think I see them in the future.  ;D

Solomon

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 31, 2012, 08:03:12 AM
Thats  good idea!  I hadn't thought of that.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in my eyes.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Cedarman

Now you guys are thinking like I do when it comes to cedar.  There is a whole lot more than just lumber in them thar logs.

shelbycharger400

I didn't think of twisting this post as to what to do with the hollow ones :)
But I enjoy seeing what people are doin and makin money at it!
A hobby is a lot more fun when their is some recovery.

I have 3, more logs at 16 ft, but they are 8 to 10 in at the butt, and hollow, I know what im doin with those :) ;D   L
Light backedge,  light top edge,  Full log mantle !

Hey magic... as long as theirs 4 inches thick for meat, and 2 in wide or more, Id cut n sell.   I see a few mantles and slabs in those smaller ones

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Solomon on October 31, 2012, 09:54:30 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 31, 2012, 08:03:12 AM
Thats  good idea!  I hadn't thought of that.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in my eyes.

I usually put a round cedar bottom on them also. You can even put in a little potting soil and some blooming flowers and maybe add a Cedar birdhouse on a Cedar pole.....the Ladies will buy it in the spring......at your price.

1woodguy

VT_Forestry

Drill a hole in the side of those hollow logs, slap a board across the top and bottom and you've got yourself a bird house
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

okmulch

Here is what I use some cedar for around Halloween.

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Kansas

A few things about ERC. In a pasture or ravine, the biggest ones tend to have either ingrown bark, or be hollow. The ones that grow up underneath them that have the small stick branches are about always good. If they are planted in a windbreak, which they do in Kansas, you cut down a few, and if they are hollow, about all will be hollow. And that always seems to run up the tree, not just for a few feet. If you cut down a few and they are solid, chances are virtually all will be solid.

thecfarm

Flower pots with the people that come to The C Farm for veggies and baked goods I could and do sell. Mantels and indoor tables-furniture,I better have them under cover, or they would rot before they would sell.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

okmulch

Well I had to make a pumpkin out of left over cedar cut offs for Halloween, so now I have Christmas taken care of also.

My wife had me make five of them to donate to some of her ladies groups and church for raffle.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

1woodguy

I agree  with what Kansas said at least in this area,when we hit big clumps of cedar  most all the ones with the thumb size branches are solid
Bad thing is we cut or pushed tons in the past and piled burned them but at the time we were just clearing
  In one area lots of nice walnut and oak
It would be nice to be able to go back in time and keep all the better logs

Cedarman

By my estimate there are about 2 billion board feet of cedar sawlogs mixed with the hardwoods and down in the gulleys and "canyons" in Oklahoma.  According to a study done  several years ago, cedar is encroaching on 760 acres per day.  Just in Ok.
Woodguy, you may have burnt some good ones, but there are still a beau coup more left.
Look at the plumes of smoke in the sky when conditions are right to burn the cedar piles.

Thank You Sponsors!