iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is Enough Too Much?

Started by Magicman, October 30, 2012, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Back in 1986 the Bellamy Brothers had a popular song; "Too Much is Not Enough".

OK, I loaded my truck today with my sawmill tools and gear. Wow. I am not a pack rat, I seldom need anything that I do not have, and do not seem to carry stuff that I do not use, but I have to wonder if enough is too much.

I saw portable so just walking over to the tool shed is not an option.  There are a certain amount of tools that are required for the necessary adjustments and repairs that normally pop up.  A more serious failure would require a round trip just to get the required tools, so therefore I seem to have a full tool box.

Blades, lube, and fuel are a given, as is the cant hooks, chain, spuds, chainsaw, etc.  With the longer road trips, I have recently started carrying a sawmill spare tire.

Unloaded sawmill tools and gear.

The back of the truck contains 2 fuel jugs, 2 water/lube jugs, drinking water, chainsaw, spare blades, 3 Logrites, a peavey and a sawdust scoop.

Hand tools, lubes, and saw gas are in the tool box.

Behind the driver's seat is an air compressor, Log Wizard, chainsaw chaps, hat/caps, & spare work shirts.

Is enough too much  ???   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bill m

It's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. You can never be over prepared.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SPD748

I see a well stocked portable sawmill operation.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

sawman

my grandpa used to always say,

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)   :)
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Tree Feller

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2012, 06:49:08 PM
Back in 1986 the Bellamy Brothers had a popular song; "Too Much is Not Enough". 

Funny you should mention the Bellamy Brothers and that song. I ordered off Amazon and just a few days ago received CD's of the Bellamy Brothers greatest hits...vols 1 & 2. That song is on vol 1 I believe. I listened to it on the way to Houston yesterday.   BTW, they are still touring although the venues are smaller now. They will be at the Canton, Texas High School pretty soon. I may try to go see them just to hear the song "Old Hippie."   :D

That sawmill gear looks essential and well thought out. Even stationary mills can't stock everything they might need...that would actually require having a back-up mill.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Ga Mtn Man

It seems to me that you're taking along exactly what you need.  I think the real issue is the loading and unloading of all that necessary equipment.  So the obvious solutions is....BUY ANOTHER TRUCK.  8)

Just a suggestion. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jim_Rogers

I have a check list I use to make sure I load everything I want or should take with me when I go on a "road job"....

Sometimes it takes longer to load the tools in the truck then to pack up the sawmill to go....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Sure as shooting, if you take one thing out, that will be the next thing you need.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on October 30, 2012, 07:21:18 PM
So the obvious solutions is....BUY ANOTHER TRUCK. Just a suggestion. ;D

Bbbbbut, when I bought the F250, my Son was waiting in line for the Tundra. 

'Bout right Jeff.  At least every time I unload the tools and load the camper, then unload the camper and reload the tools, I do get to inventory all of my excess "baggage".   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Clay Hound

Great post MM.  I have been mulling over what all I will need to take when I start portable sawing. say_what  Now all I have to do is look at your photos! :)  Thanks!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

riverswamp sawyer

The one thing that is missing is your lunch.......Where do ya put the vittles??

Onthesauk

I like that it appears to be organized.  A place for everything and everything in it's place. :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

kenlt30

To my inventory I added a 30 gal water tank with 12v pump to refill my water. I use Pinesol and water for blade lube. Often times, I'm in a pasture where a water supply is far away. It's a pain in the winter months because I have to drain it when I get home.

Magicman

I have been using two 5 gallon gasoline cans for my water/lube.  I recently bought a blue 6½ gallon water jug that I will use.  That will run two normal days, but I will still top it off every night.   I am needing the gasoline cans for....gasoline.

kenlt30

My mill only has the hand valve on the water bottle to regulate the lube flow. I'm guilty of using more water than necessary especially when sawing pine. I did create some restrictors out of wire nuts with different size holes drilled in them. They fit inside the tube and allow me to just turn on the lube without continually adjusting the valve.

Magicman

Yup, even though a LubeMizer can never ever pay for itself with saving water and soap, it was the first upgrade that I made on my sawmill.  It was just a matter of convenience.

It cut my lube usage waste in half.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2012, 10:41:44 PM
Yup, even though a LubeMizer can never ever pay for itself with saving water and soap, it was the first upgrade that I made on my sawmill.  It was just a matter of convenience.

It cut my lube usage waste in half.

You may not save on the water and soap, but I believe you save on the time, and time is money. Especially if you are charging by the bf.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

giant splinter

MM
Your very organized and it looks to me like you are ready for almost anything that could require a little extra gear at hand. I say don't change a thing, your not carrying around anything that is not important to your work.
Murphy's law insurance in my view, you planned it out and carry it out ...... it's a good program. I like to take a high lift jack and a pry-bar also.
I was wondering if the lubemizer  is a good addition and worth the money as far as keeping the bands clean and free of crud, as well as holding the temperature of the bands somewhat cooler than the standard lube system?.
roll with it

Brucer

That's pretty much what I use as well.

Funny thing: since I mostly operate in one location I have a small camping trailer/office/tool shed to store half my stuff in. But I seem to use up twice as much space in my truck as MagicMan does ???
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

captain_crunch

Never could be as neetly organized as M_M  So might be good thing my mill dont move ::) ::) But seems my 14X20 shed on mill has went from hay storage to shop and tool room :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Okrafarmer

Other than fuel, water, peavey, and blades, I keep most of my sawmill stuff in a 5-gallon bucket. ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

barbender

MM, I'd be embarrassed to have you look in my truck :o I envy your organizational skills ;)
Too many irons in the fire

1woodguy

okra
A five gallon bucket  is my favorite store all
Usually I put stuff in them and leave outside so rain can fill it up and ruin whatever was in it then I can go buy new stuff
Or will put lids on buckets then will go buy new stuff cause I can't find anything! :D
Wife asks what my tool boxes are for I said decorations
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

GDinMaine

Excellent thread Magicman, thanks.  If you don't mind being a bit more specific on a few things.  I suppose you have a good set of wrenches/sockets to deal with mill upkeep/repair on the road.  What specific spare parts do you take with you for the mill?  If anyone else has suggestions on what should be included in the : "Take with you on the job." check list that would be great.  Any rig pictures?  What are "spuds"?  I don't think you mean a few tubers from the garden.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

petefrom bearswamp

Kudos Magicman,
Nicely organized.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

moosehunter

There is an older thread that lists what members recommend you take on mobile jobs. I have it printed off at home but don't remember the title of it now.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

Quote from: GDinMaine on October 31, 2012, 02:30:04 AM
  What are "spuds"?
I call them spuds because I really do not know their proper name.  Straightened out hoes for removing loose bark and for digging and leveling when setting the sawmill up.

These are my manual "debarkers".   :)

A magnetic "nail picker upper" goes with me for finding screws, bolts, & nuts that I may drop into the sawdust.  A 24" section of sawblade for removing sawdust behind the blade if/when I need to back up.  Plastic wedges, a 24" pry bar that is flat on one end and pointy on the other is a very valuable tool.  Other than that, there are just the normal hand tools which include screwdrivers, combination, sockets, & Allen (both inch & metric). 

Actual sawmill spare parts are minimal.  B57 belts, microswitch for the hydraulics, power solenoids, fuses, & blade guide rollers (which are really unnecessary to carry). 

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: moosehunter on October 31, 2012, 09:02:41 AM
There is an older thread that lists what members recommend you take on mobile jobs. I have it printed off at home but don't remember the title of it now.

Here is mine, see attached.....

GDinMaine

Thanks for the info and additional tool lists.  I can't seem to find the mentioned thread about the tools to take on the job.   Anyone happened to save the link?
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dan_Shade

I keep a bunch of crap in the bed of my pickup.  cant hooks, gas, chains, crowbar, wedges, toolbox, spare parts, etc.

it's not very organized. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 02, 2012, 08:40:54 AM
I keep a bunch of crap in the bed of my pickup.  cant hooks, gas, chains, crowbar, wedges, toolbox, spare parts, etc.

it's not very organized.

If I did this....it would all be gone by the time I came out of MacDonalds. :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knock, knock. That was me knocking on wood.  So far, I have never had anything stolen out of my truck.  Anyway, there is only stuff to work with, and these folks don't work.

Okrafarmer

There are some areas around here where people would steal stuff out of a pickup, and some areas where they wouldn't. I traverse all the areas.

Magicman

I did have my receiver hitch stolen and the truck was parked beside the Police Station.

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2012, 09:28:29 AM
I did have my receiver hitch stolen and the truck was parked beside the Police Station.

:D :D

Next time park by the Krispy Kreme.  ;)  (cliche I know but I couldn't help myself ;D)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jim_Rogers

I had a high school class mate tell us at a reunion committee meeting one time that she had the door off her pickup truck stolen when it was parked across the street from a State police station.

He went over there and complained to them and they said: "it wasn't their jurisdiction." She complained that they were the state police.....

They handed her the phone and let her call the local police.

The guy who answered the phone asked her if she was sure that the door was stolen off her truck..... >:(

She said: "let me check....." " yup it's gone......"

I asked her what did she do?

She said she drove it home with no door.......

The guy down the street from me a mile or so would stop and take rocks off the side of the road off stone walls.....

Some people will steal anything....

Jim Rogers

drobertson

If you use what you bring, and you don't find yourself in a bind, then what's the issue.  Only you know what you need, it looks like you have the bases covered.  You have a very nice set-up, one that could be used as a model for portable sawmillers anywhere. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

Jim, for some reason, there was this kid in Maine about my age, I worked with him one summer. He went to the high school my cousins went to in Waldo County. When my cousins found out I was working with him, they thought it was really funny. He was known to be the hooligan/vandal of the whole high school, and had been seen on more than one occasion stopped by the side of the road stealing road signs.  :-X

He was a real piece of work. Waiting to be done.  :D

Jim_Rogers

Tuesday night after I got home, my wife asked me if I noticed that the stop sign at the end of our driveway was gone.

We live on a corner lot with a dead end street going down the side of our house. And our driveway runs right up to and parallel with the dead end street. There is only a very small patch of grass between our driveway and the street. And at the end of the patch of grass stands this stop sign. On the back of the stop sign is a sign that says "dead end".

I said no, I hadn't noticed. I said it was probably kids taking the sign.

She said no the entire post and everything was gone.

Sure enough Wednesday morning when I went to pull out there was not sign or post there.
And it hasn't been replaced yet.....

Jim Rogers

dgdrls

when you are at position one or three in any comparison of:
tools to log size,
cost of production to income
aggravation to benefit
wants  to needs

This sawmill business stuff is easy Eh? :D

DGDrls

Magicman

I normally find myself at #2 and don't know which way to go.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Definitely make up a laminated card with this graph and carry it in the truck. Very helpful when finally getting started on a log too big for the mill 100 miles from home and the sun is going down.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

MM, I just have to say, you have without a doubt the best system I have seen, at least by your pics, I just have to ask, what gives? you are doing the work, it has worked, unless you are not giving us all the goods.  You might consider going into consulting for folks that want to get into the biz, but other than this, it all looks good. david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I know, but when I have to unload everything, I look and wonder "are you really necessary".  I am streamlining my water/blade lube into one 6½ gallon jug instead of two 5 gallon jugs.  It is also time for me to add the gallon jug of -32° windshield fluid to purge the Lube-mizer at the end of each saw day.

One good thing about the unloading everything is that I do get to clean the sawdust out of the tool box, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!