iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ebay

Started by Jeff, March 19, 2004, 04:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

So you have a jeep willy!. Norm & the boys bought me a 1955 willy a few years ago for Christmas. It was like a dream come true; I had lusted after that Willy for years. It was a suprise, one of our neighbors owned it, and one day I saw a for sale sign on it. I flew home and told Norm about it, and said I was heading up there to buy it. Well while I was walking up there, Norm called the guy and told him he wanted to buy it for me as a gift and for him to tell me it was already sold. I was so mad at the neighbor for selling it, I ranted and raved and begged, but he wouldn't budge. That night the boys took the jeep and hid it in another neighbor's barn until Christmas Eve. As it happened that Chritmas Eve I was coming down with a cold and after Norm filled me up with cough syrup,  ::), I was totally knocked out by 8:00. Then he and the boys headed out for the Jeep. Of course it wouldn't start after sitting for several months, so they ended up towing & pushing it home through the cold and snow. Christmas morning, I was still a little hung over from the Nyquil, but there in the garage was my jeep with a big red ribbon on it!!   8) :o   I have never been so suprised in my life. What a great Christmas memory!!   8) 8) 8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

redpowerd

this is off-topic....
sounds like a cj-5?
i have a 75 cj-5 i use in the woods alot, still no cracks in the fiberglass body :o i find it a bit too light for skidding bigger logs, just load it up with friends!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Patty

Sorry to be off topic, but we are talking about my Jeep, so that takes precedence.  ;D
I think it is a CJ-2, not sure though. It was originally army green of course, and no fiberglass has ever touched it, but somewhere along the line someone painted it bright yellow and put racing stipes along the sides. It is a real beauty. The windshield fell off one day when Norm & I were out for a drive,  :o, so now it is truley a convertable. And what a hoot to drive!  8)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Corley5

I spend a bunch of time on E-bay too.  A year ago I sold a bunch of antique outboard motors there.  This winter I've been selling a few NOS antique outboard parts.  I've also sold tractors, antique cars, and have bought tractors, grain vacuums and any manner of other stuff that caught my attention some of which after I got it I had to ask myself why I wanted/needed it ;D.  Lotsa fun.  I've always got an E-bay window open in addition to the FF and usually one to YTmag also.
Dad and I have a 47 CJ2A Jeep with a hardtop.  We don't use it much anymore but used to run it all the time.  It was our fishing buggy in the U.P.  Grandpa built a rack on it to haul the boat.  We rebuilt the engine in it and worked on the brakes and haven't used it much since.  I doubt if it's got 200 miles on the new engine.  It's parked in the garage at the cabin ready to go should we get the urge ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

I'm really not sure if old Willy is a CJ-2, or what. I had originally said CJ-5, but I knew that didn't sound right. It was an Army jeep to begin with, no soft top or anything that I know of, it is pretty basic. Some one welded the back tail gate shut, it doen't have but two seats, and it came with a wooded stick to measure the gas in the tank (you stick it in the tank and pull it out to see if there is any gas on it). It has twin batteries under the hood to get it started, something it hasn't done in a couple years. I think mice have chewed up the electrical system or something, and I need to hire someone to come and work on it, I have really missed driving it.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

redpowerd

the cj-5 was the civilian model of an M-38A1. theres not too many differences. been a while since up on jeep history.
the cj-2a has flat fenders whereas the cj5s fenders were rounded off in the front.
the 2a was the civ. ver. M38

oh, my cj-5 has an ALL fiberglass body, great for the woods, eh?

meanwhile, im bidding on a fuel injection pump for my truck, not knowing if needed ::)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Sawyerfortyish

I have a 47 CJ2A but Patty I beleive you may have a CJ3B that was made in the 50s . The differance between the two is in the engine. The 2A had a flathead engine whereas the 3B had overhead valves and had a higher hood but still had the flat fenders. Now what was this thread about oh yea ebay. For kicks check out the jeeps for sale on ebay.

Mark M

That's where I found my new truck and I plan to sell some stuff. My wife told me I was addicted too, but I've only been going there since last Friday and I only went once. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven't left yet. ;)

redpowerd

cj-5s were built from 55 to 83
3bs were made from 63 to 65
but if'n its army, its a m-38a1, built from 51 to 62. those are the ones you see on M.A.S.H.

i lost my injection pump for 87$ >:(
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Patty

OK, then Willy must be a M-38a1, because he used to be an army jeep. Now that that is settled, would you please send somebody over to help me get him started?! :-/    Toys this old are hard to find anyone to work on them, and I just don't have the skills. I bought a book, but it just sits there on the shelf :P not doing any good at all.

Maybe I better do see what is on Ebay today, I looked at the Jeeps yesterday, none are nearly as cool as mine ;D; maybe someone has a box of buttons I can bid on!!  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Haytrader

I don't have a Jeep story but would E bay be a good place to sell a really old chainsaw?
I have one made by Sears. Still has the decals on it. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Next question. Any guesses what it might bring?
Haytrader

shopteacher

Haytrader, ebays the best place to sell anything, as your selling to the world if you want. A lot of people won't ship overseas, but I'd ship it to Mars if they pay the freight.  Some people ain't got no sense though, just sold a digital dial indicator to the Netherlands,wrote the guy told him shipping by post office was 18.00.  He say hes got an account with Airborne Express (DHL) and to call them and they'll pick it up. Did so and got an invoice, by mistake, the shipping was 63.00.
    As far as price, if you don't know what it's worth set a high reserve, either the most you'd be happy with or something no one in his right mind would pay and see what the high bid brings. That's a pretty good indication of what folk are willing to pay.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

redpowerd

haytrader, search chainsaws on ebay and youll find lotsa oldies.

patty, thems oldies are super easy to work on, all you need is gas and spark. unlike todays cars. a part-time mechanic should be able to have it runnin in a few hours. sounds to me like it needs clean wires? start at the battery, should only need one, and work your way out till you have spark. clean all connections and replace any damaged wires.

if you got time to play with it, i can talk you thru, just not on the ebay thread :D anytime you need help, ill do the best i can.

haytrader, i wanna see that ol saw up on ebay soon!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

rebocardo

I mostly sell stuff on E-Bay, close to my 60th sale.

I like to mostly browse for stuff I will never buy, like a bucket truck under $3000 with owner financing
:-D

Haytrader

red,

I put in chain saws and I get like 8 pages of mostly newer saws, chain and manuals.
I get bored quick.
Why don't ya just give me a hunerd and you can put er on E bay and make the big money.

;)
Haytrader

etat

Thin yer search down,   Mostly you'll want to search in business and industrial.  Use the minus sign when needed.  Typing........Chainsaw -manual will eliminate anything with manual in the title.  Typing chainsaw -(manual, new, cheesburger) will bring up titles with chainsaws, and eliminate the ones with manual, new, and cheeseburger in the title.

Try advanced search, lets you program only the catagory you want to search in, and lets you set price guidelies, ie search between 50 dollars, and 500 dollars.  That will also eliminate most of the cheaper junk such as manuals and things.  

Throw in a few of these minuses, add chainsaw used, search titles and descriptions in the right catagories, and you can start narrowing down yer search.

You wouldn't show yer hand playin poker would ya, well ebay's the same way.  GET A SNIPE PROGRAM, everybody else who knows does.  No need of you and somebody else jumping each others bid just to get the price up.  Figger what you want to pay, and ADD A FEW CENTS TO THE SNIPE.  Say you want to pay not over 75 dollars and hopefully not that much.  Set yer snipe at 75 dollars and oh say, 63 cents.  That way if somebody else has the same 75 dollar idee, you'll beat em @ 75 cents.  

My favoriet sellers on used stuff are usually the ones that have sold less than a thousand items, mostly they're the ones who find stuff at sales and stuff, or are cleaning up around their or their neighbors house and unloading stuff on the cheap.  Beware those who have sold thousands and thousands of cheap 'Chinese ;D knockoffs, them ain't bargains, them's mostly junk stuff.  DON"T buy a new oh say reciproating saw for 19.99, I'd much rather find a used name brand with a bunch of life left in it.

They's bargains out there, the trick is knowing what to look for, how to search, and knowing when to email the seller in advance and ask the right questions.  DON"T overbid, if the price goes too high, bid yer time, and wait.  Sonner or later somebody'll sell one cheap.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

QuoteSet yer snipe at 75 dollars and oh say, 63 cents.  That way if somebody else has the same 75 dollar idee, you'll beat em @ 75 cents
is that a typo or somekinda confuzin math inequality? ??? ;D
i gotta try that cheatin program ;D
dont forget to exclude 'texas chainsaw massasacre' ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

etat

typo  ;D ;D ;D a course .75

not showing yer hand ain't cheatin! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Haytrader

I learnt sumthin today.
Didn't know about the minus thing.
Thanks CK
Haytrader

D._Frederick

cktate,

Tried your example of using the minus sign and it didn't work. Can you check your example and see if you typed it wrong?

etat

http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/basicsearch.html?ssPageName=h:h:fitem:US

that will take you to advanced search

chainsaw -manual
Don't forget to put a space betyeen the w and the -

chainsaw -(cheeseburger, massacere, manual, new)

again a space between the w and the -but no space before the ( ) and you have to use a comma and a space between each word

was gonna post a link to a search but it blew the thread all out of porportion.

You can narrow it down more by typing in the name of the chainsaw yer hunting before you start with yer minuses.

Also I noticed more chainsaws was in the home section under tools than business and industrial.

OneWithWood

Been doing some e-baying.  Recently bought a Delmhurst R-2000 moisture meter for the kiln (still on the to-do list).  Yesterday I won the bid on a Stihl 019, should get it this week.  I was bidding on a couple of 020s and an MS200 but got outbid on all. So which one of youse is 'Wayooper'?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frickman

I look over at ebay once in a while, find some neat stuff. A neighbor girl does the bidding for me. She does one of those esnipe things. So far I've mostly bought original manuals for equipment we own. It's great as alot of the things I buy aren't available new.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

beenthere

frickman
Help me out with understanding the "esnipe" thing, please.

I too, find e-bay will (can, does) take up a lot of time, because it is amazing how many things are on there at anyone time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

Beenthere,
Esnipe is just another name for a proxy bid. I don't get too involved as I'm still not too good at these computers, but as stated above, you set your max. bid and esnipe bids on your behalf. If you win you pay a small fee and if you don't you pay nothing.

I'll give you an example. Suppose I see a book I want that is currently at $5.00 with twelve hours ago. It's out of print and I really want it, so I place a proxy bid with esnipe for $50.00. I then walk away and allow esnipe to take over. Esnipe monitors the auction, and a few seconds before close the high bid is $12.50. Esnipe places a bid for me at the next higher increment, say $13.00. The auction closes and I am high bidder at $13.00. I pay for the item and esnipe a small commission for their service. If the high bid is $75.00 shortly before close esnipe does nothing as I have been already outbid. In this case I pay nothing. Esnipe does not automatically bid your max. price, only what you need to win. This all works the same as proxy bids at equipment auctions. The auctioneer may get a proxy bid from a bidder not present, and he bids on their behalf. Hope this helps.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!