iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this evil plant?

Started by grweldon, October 30, 2012, 08:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I have quite a few of these things growing on my place.  They can get rather large for a shrub, over 10' high, very woody stems and large, pointed thorns.  They have seed pods that look similar to a Black Walnut, but more yellow.  There are no nuts inside but clusters of seeds.  I didn't break one open because I don't want any more to grow, but I did at one time and I think there were seeds.

Sorry about the unclear pictures, it was getting dark and the camera wouldn't cooperate...

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Axe Handle Hound

The pictures are pretty blurry, but your textual description of the seed pods makes me think of osage orange.  Look it up and see if it matches what you're seeing. 

grweldon

I understand the pictures are blurry, but look closely at the stalks.  They are blurry too, but you can see the one in the background on the first picture a bit better.  You can clearly see the tapered thorn perpendicular to the stalk.  They are 1/4 to 3/4" thick with 1-2" long (or longer), needle sharp thorns.  The seed pods are not fruity.  This is a shrub, not a tree.  Although I'm not positive what an Osage Orange tree looks like, I know for certain this is not one.  Thanks for the guess...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Texas Ranger

Mock orange, or trifoliate orange, Poncirus trifoliata.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thurlow

Quote from: Texas Ranger on October 30, 2012, 09:43:48 AM
That's what I think;  he could cut one of the fruits open; lick it and see if it tastes 'lemony'............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

grweldon

Quote from: Texas Ranger on October 30, 2012, 09:43:48 AM

That's it!  You guys are awesome!  Thank you!

thurlow

This is what is known locally......mayhap incorrectly....as mock orange;  fruit looks like a miniature orange.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

I have seen bottomlands covered in it in East Texas.  It will hurt you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Red Clay Hound

I deer hunt on a dairy farm near Union Point, GA that has a fair amount of this obnoxious tree.  It will indeed hurt you.  You don't want to sit on the ground anywhere near this plant without checking first. yikes_smiley  I know this from firsthand experience. :o
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

SwampDonkey

There is a lawn shrub that has been planted around for years. They call that mock orange to, but no thorns.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

I can't help with any further sub-identification of this plant, but I have heard an interesting fact about this long-needled orange tree/shrub.  I heard this because, years ago when I moved into my current house, one was planted along side of it.  It was the most difficult plant to remove that I have ever come across.  The wood was quite hard and the needles would go right through a good pair of leather gloves.  Ouch!

I researched the plant at that time, and I remember reading that it was the only plant, when planted in row as a hedge, that the military would allow to be used as a fence.  I am not sure that's true, but, after removing one, I can believe it.  That claim may be horse-hockey, but that is one serious stay-away-from plant!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 31, 2012, 04:57:19 AM
There is a lawn shrub that has been planted around for years. They call that mock orange to, but no thorns.

Yes, mock-orange belongs to the genus Philadelphus and is planted for its attractive flowers. I've always called Poncirus trifoliata trifoliate orange to avoid confusion with that genus.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

grweldon

This plant, now ID'd for me as Trifoliate Orange, has certainly hurt me!  I'm researching ways to kill it.  Wondering about basil-applied herbicide.  I've read that you can cut off the trunk and immediately liberally apply, but I don't want to get that close!  Very soon it will be time to treat and I want to be on top of it, as well as the Chinese Privet that have taken over some parts of my farm.

WDH

Garlon 4 in a 25% mix with 75% diesel applied as a basal spray on the lower stem  :).  It will nuke it and the privet. 

Dodgy, it was always Poncirus to me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

My Father planted 2 mock orange bushes by the old farm house,no thorns.
Basil spray,what is that?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You spray the bark all the way around on the lower part of the stem about 12 " to 18" above the ground.

Texas Ranger

Apparently I poisoned the post by using the local "mock orange" instead of the common Trifoliate Orange, my bad.

thecfarm

WDH,than you. I just spray bushes and maybe a few suckers that come out on the stumps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Pecan Slayer, I always tell my kids, "Don't say I can't, say, I haven't figured out how yet." In this case, the obvious thing I would use to deal with this obnoxious varmint, is a powered pole chainsaw (the proverbial ten-foot-pole, but with a chainsaw bar on the end).  ;D From a safe distance, use the powered pole chainsaw to discombobulate the evil shrub, then take it down to ground level. Then use a pitchfork and/or stiff rake to clean up the debris into a pile in a safe place, then burn it.  ;) You might want to wear chaps. The power pole saw won't cut you if it's ten feet away from your hands, but I mean you may want to wear chaps while disposing of the evidence.  :D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

If it was an isolated shrub away from wanted plants, I would just feed it borax. End of story. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

grweldon

Quote from: Texas Ranger on October 31, 2012, 10:15:26 PM
Apparently I poisoned the post by using the local "mock orange" instead of the common Trifoliate Orange, my bad.

Mock Orange is fine.  It's the Osage Orange suggestion that was way off the mark.  Not sure who posted it...

Okrafarmer

With the info you gave, it was a reasonable guess for somebody to make. It was my first thought when I read the OP.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

grweldon

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 31, 2012, 10:52:34 PM
Pecan Slayer, I always tell my kids, "Don't say I can't, say, I haven't figured out how yet." In this case, the obvious thing I would use to deal with this obnoxious varmint, is a powered pole chainsaw (the proverbial ten-foot-pole, but with a chainsaw bar on the end).  ;D From a safe distance, use the powered pole chainsaw to discombobulate the evil shrub, then take it down to ground level. Then use a pitchfork and/or stiff rake to clean up the debris into a pile in a safe place, then burn it.  ;) You might want to wear chaps. The power pole saw won't cut you if it's ten feet away from your hands, but I mean you may want to wear chaps while disposing of the evidence.  :D

Pecan Slayer... I really do like that, but if I change my name, nobody will know it's me!

Let me rephrase... I do not want to get to these Chinese Privet with a chainsaw, or, I'm not going to get to these to chop them down.  I've dealt with the waste before.  It ain't fun!  I'm going to spray the trunks and watch them die!  Besides, were are talking thicket after thicket for yards and yards in areas that I don't regularly go roaming.  It would take hour after hour to cut them, pile the waste and burn.  It will take a couple of hours tops to spray and I can even get the 1/2 diameter shoots and suckers.  Besides, I just parted with my hard earned cash to buy a chainsaw. I have no more cash to buy a pole saw and if I did, I have other things that I need much more than a pole saw!

grweldon

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 01, 2012, 08:37:12 AM
With the info you gave, it was a reasonable guess for somebody to make. It was my first thought when I read the OP.

Only if you just looked at the fruit and didn't take time to study the pic for the actual thorny vine!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!