iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweetgum or Maple

Started by grweldon, October 30, 2012, 08:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I've read comments on my other posts that suggest it's not difficult at all to tell a Sweetgum leaf from a Maple leaf, but I continually have difficulty.  I suppose these are all Sweetgum, but honestly I can't say definitively...

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

RynSmith

Maples are one of the few trees that have their leaves, twigs and branches directly opposite from each other (kinda like your arms are when you raise both hands).  Most other trees are arranged alternately, with one leaf/twig/branch attached to the stem and then another on up a ways.  Once you get used to this, you'll know your maples!  :)

Red Clay Hound

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

RynSmith

You're making it too easy!  :D

grweldon

Quote from: Red Clay Hound on October 30, 2012, 10:48:18 AM
Your photos are sweetgum.

Pretty much figured, but I had to verify.  I KNOW I have at least one Red Maple on my place, but I can't seem to find it!

Thank you all!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

Be careful about letting the word out that you have sweetgum.  Someone I will not name might sneak over and steal it as he has a sweetgum fixation  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: WDH on October 30, 2012, 09:44:15 PM
Be careful about letting the word out that you have sweetgum.  Someone I will not name might sneak over and steal it as he has a sweetgum fixation  ;D.
Are you referring to our friend in Mississippi? :D :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

Yeah... NOT!  Really wish I could find that Red Maple I found a while back, or more of them even!

Claybraker

Here's an easy trick to tell them apart, but it may be too late this year because the foliage has started to turn.

Next year, after everything has leafed out, spray the foliage with a 1% glyphosate solution. Sweetgum is highly susceptible, and maples are very resistant. The sweetgums will die, and the maples will be easier to spot.

doctorb

I wade into the swamp of tree ID cautiously amongst these experts, but I would ask what other maple tress/leaves do you have that would confuse you?  The three pointed maple leaf is indicative of the red maple. There are other three pointed leaf maples like the mountain maple, which I don't think is indigenous to your area.  If the leaf has five points, then it's gonna be a silver, norway, sugar or some other type of maple.  I think the classic maple leaf is five pointed, so the three pointed red shouldn't be too hard to find.  I am sure that the individual tree variation may lead to some questions about species, but, if you find a maple with leaves about as wide as they are long with only three points, in Alabama I think that's probably a red maple.  Ready to be corrected......
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

Doc, that is a sound diagnosis.  There is hope for you outside of the medical profession  ;D.

doctorb

Thanks.  I am still looking for some hope within it, but it's always good to keep your options open :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

A man has to survey his options.  Options is good.

Okrafarmer

The five lobes on a sweetgum leaf are relatively uniform in size and shape compared to each other. It is a fairly star-shaped leaf, except that the two basal lobes (the ones closest to the stem) are flat across each other, kind of like you have an olympic gymnast starfish doing a split.  :D Edit: The center lobe is often a little larger than the other four

The sweetgum leaf is all about the five lobes, wheras maple leaves, even ones with five lobes, usually have ornate abstract structure to their shape, whereas with sweetgum, it's just five fingers sticking out there.  ;D

For mature trees, look for the fruits. In winter, and all year round, for the most part, mature trees still have a few sweetgum balls hanging about the branches here and there. Maple trees never grow sweetgum balls.  :D

But RynSmith is right. The first and foremost way to tell is that maples are opposite leafed trees, and sweetgummery are alternate leaf trees. You can tell this even when the leaves are off in winter, by looking at the bud scars on the twigs.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Quote from: doctorb on October 31, 2012, 06:07:53 PM
I wade into the swamp of tree ID cautiously amongst these experts

Kinda like venturing into the Chainsaw Forum.  One has to proceed with caution  ;D.

grweldon

Quote from: doctorb on October 31, 2012, 06:07:53 PM
I wade into the swamp of tree ID cautiously amongst these experts, but I would ask what other maple tress/leaves do you have that would confuse you?  The three pointed maple leaf is indicative of the red maple. There are other three pointed leaf maples like the mountain maple, which I don't think is indigenous to your area.  If the leaf has five points, then it's gonna be a silver, norway, sugar or some other type of maple.  I think the classic maple leaf is five pointed, so the three pointed red shouldn't be too hard to find.  I am sure that the individual tree variation may lead to some questions about species, but, if you find a maple with leaves about as wide as they are long with only three points, in Alabama I think that's probably a red maple.  Ready to be corrected......

Doc, as far as I know, that one Red Maple on my property is the only Maple I have.  I've only seen it once, and I can't seem to find it again.  Sometimes Sweetgum leaves have very small basil lobes and sometimes the Red Maple has very small basil lobes making it a 5-lobed leaf.  I grew up with a large Sugar Maple in my front yard and you are correct, the edges of the Maple leaf are much more ornate and structured, but for a novice like me, 5-lobed leaves like the Sweetgum very much resemble the Maples I've seen.  I have a friend who grew up in the mountains of South Carolina amongst the trees and even he thought many of my Sweetgums were maples.  I had to correct him... this was way before I found out about the forum..

WDH

You should be able to find your maple because the leaves will turn a vibrant red in the Fall.  About the only thing as red in your area will be blackgum.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 01, 2012, 09:55:07 PM
You should be able to find your maple because the leaves will turn a vibrant red in the Fall.  About the only thing as red in your area will be blackgum.

How come my red maples' leaves turn yellow in the fall?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Sugar maple will turn yellow to orange to red.  Red maples around here turn red.  Maybe you have a red maple that secretly wants to be a sugar maple  :).

Okrafarmer

My red maples in my yard have red petioles, but the leaves turn yellow and fall off. Maybe they're sick or something.

WDH

I have a nursery red maple that the leaves just dry up and fall off with hardly any color at all. 

Okrafarmer

So just more variability from the ever variable Acer rubrum.

Thank You Sponsors!