iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many ties in a day?

Started by rooster 58, October 30, 2012, 08:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

Hey boys, especially you tie makers; any thoughts on how many ties that 2 men could make in a day with an lt70 and an edger?

paul case

I have no Idea but here is some good reading about 1 man operations.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61272.0.html

Tim Cook says you should be able to average a tie every 4.5 minutes on an AC 36 mill. Itt all depends on the logs you can get, your set up and your help. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ohio_Bill

Welcome to the forum, I saw with a LT40 Super and with help can saw 10 tie's an hour.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

I have a video where I'm sawing 8x8s out of red oak and making floring lumber out of the outside.  I'm working alone and not real fast.  Also, I'm setting up the camera and stopping to explain things and moving the camera etc.  At the end I show how many 8x8s I've made and how much lumber produced.

http://youtu.be/okJ9-uCBB7s

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ohio_Bill

I am not nearly as well set up as Bibbyman . I was sawing by myself this day. If I remember correctly I did 32 that day.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

just_sawing

Just ask the rep at loppers and he has a customer with a lt70 and a four man crew that saws 400 per week. With two people I saw 25 in four hours, it sure deflated me.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

beenthere

Why deflated?
400 per week is 100 per man per week or 20 ties per day per man.

You do 25 in four hours with two,  or about 25 in one day per man.

What'd I miss?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on November 01, 2012, 04:15:16 PM
Why deflated?
400 per week is 100 per man per week or 20 ties per day per man.

You do 25 in four hours with two,  or about 25 in one day per man.

What'd I miss?

Pie = MC Squared. Check your math Been.  say_what  :) :) :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thurlow

Pie are round;  cake are square................
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

drobertson

rooster, I have cut 58 6x8's  syp in one day  solo,  the avg, was 4 min, a tie,  and yes I was humping just a bit.
My son and I have got to 85 7x9 oak in a day, and this too was getting with it as well. The mill I have been helping with for a friend is the 70, with the accuset 2,  and with a new head sawyer, they are getting around 100,  bundles of lumber to boot.  the lt 70's are just beasts if the set up is right.  This is why I suggested to have plenty of logs ready to go, two slab racks, plenty of banding, cut to length in a pile, a sharp saw, plenty of band blades, and a mind set to get it done.  Figure it this way, 80 ties is 3360 bd/ft,  add 1600 bd/ft of outside lumber avg. for mid size logs, and you are looking at 4960 bdft a day,  @$250 a thous. feet sawed, $1250 bucks a day. Just saying, it could be more, and it could be a lil less. this depends on the grade of the lumber.
If you have to go down to the 6x8 ties, make sure you don't pay for a 7x9 log, or it will kill it,  $250 bucks a thousand cut is a reasonable number to shoot for if the grade lumber is there.  The 70 will cut, material handling is a crucial factor in the sawmill bussiness. Just my opinion,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rooster 58

Hey drobertson, if you see this I would be interested to know what kind of set-up these guys have and support equipment they have. I'm a new sawyer, and don't even have a home for my mill. Land is very hard to come by around here, believe it or not. I am trying to obtain a piece that would br perfect. It even has a double 0 frick on it. It also has a 40x64x14 pole building on it. I want my set-up to be as efficient as possible, of course. I've looked at a few. The nicest set-up I've seen was at Little Creek in Va. They have a twin headrig operation that includes a wm3500 and a wm70. But even they could improve off bearing and handling. I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

Thank You Sponsors!