iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horse powered sawmill

Started by hackberry jake, October 29, 2012, 03:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Amelia Farms

Makes me look at those lazy hay burners out in my pasture in a whole new light :D
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

mad murdock

Thanks for posting H.J.  That is a very cool video!  I know that there were a lot of Mennonites and Amish in Bolivia, I didn't realize there were communities in Belize as well.  Very cool!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Misfit

Very cool video! Thanks for posting it, HJ.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

lyle niemi

That was just tooooooo coooooool!!!!! thanx!

levans

That was just cool as a moose!!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill came with ORANGES too.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Red Clay Hound

Cool!  I did some consulting work in Belize several years ago.  I recall their being quite a few Mennonites, especially in the northern part of the country.  They are very industrious people.  And very good farmers.  If it weren't for the Mennonites, I don't think they would have had any dairy products in Belize!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

grweldon

I'm not an alarmist...really!  Take note of how it's done because there is coming a day when the power grid will be non-existant!  Great video!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

Thanks for that video Jake.  That was amazing and it really emphasizes how things were/could/should be.  Everything working together.  I liked the kid that was keeping the "slackers" going while looking up to the older guys and imagining where his place would eventually be.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Nice video, thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Leigh Family Farm

Would love to see the designs for that mill. Their gear box has to be phenomenal to get the necessary RPMs from what looks to be about 5 revolutions per minute on the power side. very cool video.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Solomon

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Ianab

Cool  :)

Interesting to work out how much power they actually have to run the mill. I think a horse can actually produce 3 or 4 hp pulling like that, so 8 horses, they actually have 18-24 hp available. Enough to run a band mill for sure.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

steamsawyer

I love it. look at that pile of lumber. Thanks for posting this.

Of course you know... The youtube nut case that I am... I had to watch the other horse power videos like this one.

I don't need no horse....... I got steam.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: steamsawyer on October 30, 2012, 03:35:04 PM
I love it. look at that pile of lumber. Thanks for posting this.

Of course you know... The youtube nut case that I am... I had to watch the other horse power videos like this one.

I don't need no horse....... I got steam.

Alan

If you got STEAM.....you got Horses.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Charles135

That is slicker than Stewed Okra, Sorry Okrafarmer, I had to go there. 
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

hardtailjohn

Horsepowers are awesome! Someday.... ::)   I wonder how well it would work with a circle saw? I've seen them running threshers and stuff. 
I almost bought an 8 horsepower a few years ago. I thought then that it'd be the next best thing to a small steam engine....and I do have the horses.......
One thing about that video... I didn't see one animal that couldn't stand some groceries in my opinion!
There was a good long thread over on Smokstak about horsepowers a while back, with quite a few pictures and videos as well. Interesting stuff!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Charles135 on October 30, 2012, 04:01:52 PM
That is slicker than Stewed Okra, Sorry Okrafarmer, I had to go there.

That's ok. Say, do I know you? I should if I don't. You're practically across the street. Well, not too far away.

The key with those horse powered units is to keep your friction to a minimum, and eliminate unnecessary moving parts. The horses are putting a lot of leverage into the outer drive wheel, a lot of torque. You're right, what does it do from there? With all that torque, they should be able to wind up the drive shaft to at least ten times the RPM of the horse-wheel. Maybe more.

I don't know how the physics all work, but I do know that the same basic units have been used for over 100 years, especially to power threshers. I know a lot of parts in a thresher have to move fairly fast, so it must be the shear torque and leverage being exerted by the horses to be able to up-gear the drive-shaft. Just remember, you have between 4 and 8 tons of horseflesh there with a lot of leverage.

The gears and shafts have to be very strong to transfer that kind of torque and put it in over-drive.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hardtailjohn

Hopefully this will work, and is ok here.  This is a thread over on Stak that I posted some pictures to, that show the gearing of a couple different "sweeps". It's certainly not that complex and not terribly "overly heavy". 
NOTE FROM ADMIN:Links to offsite photos are not allowed. Please make use of your Forestry Forum gallery by uploading to the forum gallery and posting the photos here if you would like to share, as that way this topic retains its integrity, no matter what happens to the offsite photos. Thank you.
John

beenthere

hardtail
Post the pics with your comments here, so we don't have to chase to another forum.  Thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fuzzybear

Thank you hardtail, I was trying to visualize the way it worked and those photo's answered a whole lot of questions....but unfortunately They led to a whole new batch of questions.   :D  I wonder if something like this could be used with dogs? 
I have seen tons of gearing that large on old junk equipment....time to do some scrounging.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: fuzzybear on October 31, 2012, 01:16:04 PM
Thank you hardtail, I was trying to visualize the way it worked and those photo's answered a whole lot of questions....but unfortunately They led to a whole new batch of questions.   :D  I wonder if something like this could be used with dogs? 

I don't know how many dogs it would take to run a sawmill, but I suppose the same idea could be adapted for use with dogs, at least to do smaller tasks. Grinding oatmeal or grits, for example, just hook them up, and say "MUSH!"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hardtailjohn

Quote from: beenthere on October 31, 2012, 12:00:36 PM
hardtail
Post the pics with your comments here, so we don't have to chase to another forum.  Thanks.

Well sorry about that. I was trying to get some things done around here and just didn't have time to download them to here, then post them....  normally, I can just link from --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--, but that doesn't work on this forum.... I just didn't have the time, but will try to do that always in the future.
John

Thank You Sponsors!