iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some people don't get it.

Started by hackberry jake, October 26, 2012, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I just watched a video on YouTube of a guy with a massive chainsaw cutting down a massive (probably 60-70" dbh) cedar tree. It was very hollow. I thought it was still neat. I read the comments on th video. People were saying that anybody that cuts down trees is killing the world, and people that kill trees should have the same fate as the tree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but trees are just big plants. Like corn if you will. Even hippies eat corn. Are you killing the planet by cutting down corn? No. An what do these people think houses are built out of? Or what do they think they are wipping their rears with? Trees. Sure, if I had my way, there would be sections of national forest that should be kept virgin, just for wildlife and so we can all see what nature does on it's own. But the truth is we all use wood. Trees should be looked at like a crop. Harvest the old mature trees as we need them and leave the rest to grow. I think hippies think people cut down trees for fun.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dan_Shade

there is a balance, conservation is important

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

As an old hippie that quite enjoys cutting trees and making lumber, I would like to suggest you avoid making generalizations about groups of people.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sprucegum

"And he ran full speed into the dead wall of ignorance."

Mark Twain in one of his letters

Edit; I mean the commenters on the u-tube are the wall  ;)

hackberry jake

I was ignorant to use the term "hippies" I have hippie views myself and appoligize for that. The comments had got to me and I got on my soap box. Someone should put this in the "wood shed". I agree with conservation. 100 percent. I just think its a resource we should use. If more people had wood burning stoves the earth would be a greener place. Wood is a carbon neutral fuel source unlike pretty much everything else. If someone is pro environment, you would think they would be for selective harvesting. And the tree in that video looked like it was already dead.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

Tree Feller

Trees are a renewable resource and should be managed as such. However, neither you nor I are going to change anyone's mind on the subject via this or any forum.

When you see videos (and they are on the net) of people sitting in a circle, mourning and wailing to the sky over a tree that got cut down, you know that facts and logic won't alter their opinion. It is their religion and they are as fanatical about it as a suicide bomber.

Here's one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJFYwRtrH4
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

There are some parts of the earth where the things you do could make a profound impact on the life forms. If you cut down a Bristlecone pine, you BETTER know what you're doing.

We recently harvested a dead white oak that was 193 years old. That will make you stop and think. It seemed to be a true old growth tree-- small rings all the way through. (when I say small around here, I mean, like, at least 8 per inch, even in the butt flare). There were several live white oaks around nearby on the same or adjoining properties, that seemed to be in the same size range. Finding those old trees that survived the Great Depression as a mature specimen is somewhat rare.

But--- other than that kind of occasional glimpse at the splendor of the ancient forest, around here, the trees grow like kudzu. You can't hardly cut them down faster than they grow. Any odd piece of land that is not paved or mowed frequently will grow up into trees faster than an LT-70 makes its way down a 4-inch cant.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hackberry jake

Ok, that's taking it a little far. I'll bet ya they all went home to their wood framed houses when it for dark.

thecfarm

As I say I wish there was a button that I could press to take all wood products away from these people for one month. Yes,I may understand certain trees and places but most of those people feel that I am doing things wrong in life and I will pay for it all some day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

several yrs ago a lady stopped by my shop, she started chewing me up one side and down the other. it's because of me that all the trees were be cut down. how can you sleep at night knowing what you're doing to the woods? she asks
after about 5 minutes of a severe tongue lashing, she tells me she's going to build a house and wanted the inside to be all wood.i asked her if she knew where wood comes from, she had this deer in the head lights look on her face and finally asked, can't i get it from you?
well the cork just came off the bottle!i lite into her like you southern boys go after grits :D as she was walking to her car i was following, singing in her ear the whole way.
i think most of the extreme people cant tell where the line between proper consevation and fantasy lies.
that day i did not make a sale ;D

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

swampbuggy

I wonder what those people were smokin'??? The life of a rock?  huh :-X :-X :-\
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

tcsmpsi

People are people.  There are all sorts.  Always have been.  No amount of beleaguring of what they 'see' or not, will change their perspective.  They may, one day, on their on.  Or, not. 

Folks are always looking for something to believe in.  Who knows of each, what their full basis of acceptance is of one thing or another?    :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

francismilker

It's not just trees people are willing to hug.  I live in a very rural area with plenty of rednecks for support. However, I've been given a tongue lashing on several occasions over milking those poor little cows.  "why don't you just let them be cows?" they ask.  I tell them, "why don't you stop using dairy products for one month and come back to visit.".  They always tell me they don't drink milk and then get that same deer in the headlight look when I start grinning and explaining to them all of the products that have milk fat, whey powder, and all the other byproducts of milk.  They admit they're overzealousness and walk away with their head down!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Ron Wenrich

There's enough ignorance out there to go around to all parties.  One of the problems we have as an industry is that it takes so long to make a crop that we don't really understand what the ramifications of our actions are until long after the fact.  Monoculture in forestry isn't necessarily a good thing, and even aged management isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Same goes with utilization.  Sometimes it makes sense to allow trees to go the full circle and not use them for our use.  Den trees are an example as are nurse logs.  In other instances, it doesn't make sense to allow it to go to the landfill.

We can sit and crow about how we are efficient and use things that would otherwise go to waste.  But, how many times have you left the water run when not needed, or make a trip in the car or truck when you could have walked, or left the lights on when you didn't need to? 

The best we can do is educate those that we can, learn new things that we need to, then practice what we preach.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Left Coast Chris

Alot of understanding others is taking the time to listen to get their perspective.  Most of the time their perspective is based on thier experiences in life.   As sawmill owners ours are quite a bit different than city dwellers.  The way we communicate can be different also which brings more challenges.   When we can mix with them and share perspectives by listening it can be enriching for both.  I really enjoy listening to people with different cultures and backgrounds.    Be ready to have some buttons pushed and be ready to excersice patients.   Easier said than done  :) :)   on some days.   

I had a guy come over and complain people were trying to run the deer off and some where harassing them.   Our area has no hunting with no predators so the deer are out of ballance and eating everyones yards and crops.   I listend but had a button pushed and told him if I had my way I would dig a pit and put spears in the bottom to trap the darned @#%&** deer.    I realized I went to far with him and salvaged the conversation........... patients....patients.... ::) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Solomon

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 26, 2012, 11:03:46 PM
I just watched a video on YouTube of a guy with a massive chainsaw cutting down a massive (probably 60-70" dbh) cedar tree. It was very hollow. I thought it was still neat. I read the comments on th video. People were saying that anybody that cuts down trees is killing the world, and people that kill trees should have the same fate as the tree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but trees are just big plants. Like corn if you will. Even hippies eat corn. Are you killing the planet by cutting down corn? No. An what do these people think houses are built out of? Or what do they think they are wipping their rears with? Trees. Sure, if I had my way, there would be sections of national forest that should be kept virgin, just for wildlife and so we can all see what nature does on it's own. But the truth is we all use wood. Trees should be looked at like a crop. Harvest the old mature trees as we need them and leave the rest to grow. I think hippies think people cut down trees for fun.   Want a good dose of reality?  Go to Youtube search George Carlin and click on the one about saving the planet.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Solomon

Dont know how that ended up as part of your quote but check out George Carlins "Saving the planet on You tube.  Every Sawyer should get a chuckle from it!!!

Jeff

Sometimes on youtube, the ignorant profane comments come from what you would think was your own side of the argument.  A few years ago, Kevin and Tammy and I videoed trying to cut down a half dead white birch, that had sure widow makers in it, and a butt that was suspected of being rotten, plus we were trying to make it fall the opposite direction is wanted to fall.  It gave us a chance to play with some things, like a site that gave the tree height, a capstan winch, a beanbag slingshot, and some other stuff.  We could have easily knocked the tree down the direction it wanted to go, probably damaging a fir and a spruce in that direction, but the idea was to show a few educational moments.

I had to remove comments and disable the commenting on it because of all the profane, crude, and derogatory comments being posted on the series of video clips. Almost all of them coming from some form of chainsaw jockey or another. Probably slob loggers or weekend "arborists". 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

I really hate when people go all profane like that. And when they diss people who are doing what they truly believe or know to be a responsible thing. It's one thing to disagree, but people don't have to get all carnal and beastly about it.

I like Left Coast Chris's approach (the first part of his post, not when he snapped, although I have snapped on occasion too). These days I try to be patient, let the person talk and talk and give them enough rope to hang themselves. Then when they run out of things to say, I start to gently tell them where I'm coming from. That's what I'm trying to do these days. I used to just snap and roar. Now, I'm working on the patience and grace aspect of things.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Kansas

I take a more direct approach. Think on my Yahoo information I have down "I kill trees for a living". If someone wants to talk to me about conservation, or anything else about trees, I will do so.

Okrafarmer

I am always happy to discuss philosophy with people who will have a two-way conversation. My philosophy is fairly extensive and unusual, but finds common ground with most belief systems.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Kansas on October 27, 2012, 12:03:11 PM
I take a more direct approach. Think on my Yahoo information I have down "I kill trees for a living". If someone wants to talk to me about conservation, or anything else about trees, I will do so.
:D :D :D :D :D :D good one Kansas
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Solomon

We all get wiser with age Okra.  My Grandfather used to say "Those who refuse to hear an angry shout will often strain to hear a whisper. 
  The Good Book says " It is not what entereth into a man that defileth the man.  What procedeth forth out of the mouth is what defileth the man.  Not trying to push relidgon here.  Just mentioning a relevent point.    Respect to all.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Solomon on October 27, 2012, 01:51:47 PM
We all get wiser with age Okra.  My Grandfather used to say "Those who refuse to hear an angry shout will often strain to hear a whisper. 
  The Good Book says " It is not what entereth into a man that defileth the man.  What procedeth forth out of the mouth is what defileth the man.  Not trying to push relidgon here.  Just mentioning a relevent point.    Respect to all.
I think the good book was talking about not lying or talking bad about your fellow man, ( the mouth is a window of your heart ),but to tell the truth and say good things, or say nothing :D Ill tell you the truth I just don;t suger coat it, in this day and age everyone walks on egg shells, and I don;t know why   :) another point. Respect to all.   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!