iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will someone ID this?

Started by grweldon, October 26, 2012, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I have quite a few trees like this all over my land.  The leaves get very red like a sugar maple this time of year.  I don't have any bark images, but if necessary, I can get one...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Dodgy Loner

Well that looks like an American beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) to me. But beautyberry is a shrub, not a tree, and it's not known for its fall color. It is known for clusters of attractive purple berries during the summer. 
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

grweldon

These are definitely trees.  The picture was taken after I pulled a twig and set it on the ground to take a pic.  I have many saplings of this variety and a few trees in the 12"+ diameter range.  Certainly not a shrub, but thanks for the guess!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

chain

Wild guess, is it Serviceberry? Do the trees have white flowers early  in spring and edible fruits ?

Jeff

Looks to me like tag or speckled  alder
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on October 26, 2012, 10:24:42 PM
Looks to me like tag or speckled  alder

I don't think it's speckled alder, the tips are too pointy. But my book could be wrong, and/or there could be regional differences. It does have ribs that look like alder. Speckled isn't supposed to be found wild in Alabama.

I assume these leaves are alternately positioned? I can't tell from the picture. Describe the bark, grw.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

It's a species of plum. I say this because of the blunted teeth and shape of the leaf. Not sharp pointed like a beech.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

After further review, I'm sticking with Service berry tree. Red leaves was the deciding factor also, I had i.d'd a beautiful large Serviceberry last month for someone in town.

But in Alabama all things are painted red so , who knows?

WDH

Are the leaves opposite or alternating on the stem?  A bark pic and some more leaf pics will help.  My immediate first thought was American Beautyberry just like Dodgy, and that is what I would have said if I had posted first.  Are you sure that the trees that you are seeing with the deep red leaves (sounds like blackgum) and this plant are the same? 

At this point, I am sticking with American Beautyberry.  Look for purple berries.  If the leaves are opposite, then............
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Our serviceberry species here are similar to vaccinium both in fruit and leaf shape and both turn red or orange red. That leaf pictured does not resemble either that I'm familiar with.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

And that leaf looks like it was turning yellow.
I also looked at the plums section, but figured he would know if he had that many plum trees on his place.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

chain

I thought Weldon said the leaves did turn red? Some serviceberry turn orange-red, but surely he would have mentioned the berries, probably not SB.

SwampDonkey

Everyone knows what a black cherry looks like to. ;D

Chain, yes he said that. But I was talking about serviceberries and making a point that the leaves were different based on our native SB's. ;)

Okra, it looks yellow to be to, or turning that way. I've not seen any red leaves in the photo yet anyway. ;)

Dogwoods around here turn brilliant red, but they are shrubs. Pin cherry turn scarlet red, leaves are lancelate (long slender) though.

grweldon

Honestly fellows, I don't know if I could find that specific tree again, but I'll be wandering the property tomorrow and I will certainly find another like it.  I seriously doubt it is a plum.  I'm thinking also that it didn't have any berries but I'll will double check.  I'll find a good example of the tree if there are any leaves left, but I imagine there are.  I was hoping to hear something good.  Y'all are right, this leaf does look like it's turning yellow.  I'll straighten out the discrepancies and post some better pics.  Thank y'all for your efforts!

P.S.  I have no clue what a Black Cherry looks like!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: grweldon on October 27, 2012, 04:41:23 PM

P.S.  I have no clue what a Black Cherry looks like!

Really, or just kidding?

They have dark grey bark and small leaves with small blunt teeth on the edges. They make little blackish- or dark purplish fruits the size of peas, that are 80% stone (seed).

Unlike an oak, for instance, the cherry is a lightly-limbed and sparse-branched tree, that often looks somewhat sickly in appearance, even if it isn't sick. Around here they are often curved and misshapen, though in other areas they can have much better from. Seedlings and saplings have a dark reddish or reddish-brown smooth bark, but as they get to be a couple inches in diameter, or so, the bark starts to roughen up and become a dark gray, charcoal-ish color, with a rough, variable, somewhat flaky surface.

WDH

It will be be opposite branched and it is American Beautyberry  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chain

Bah, humbug! Where are the berries?

I've searched my tree i.d. manual [Missouri] beautyberry apparently does not grow in the state.

However, there are similar forest plants with those purple berries.

Correction!  I've found the American beauty berry in the shrub manual of Missouri. Hmmm..I don't know because it says leaves 3"-9" long and 1 1/2" to 5" wide!

SwampDonkey

WDH

SwampDonkey

Red Clay Hound

I have an American Beautyberry that Dodgy dug up in the woods and planted in my yard.  Looks just like it to me.  I would provide photographic evidence for comparison, but the leaves have already shed on mine.  My experience has been that if they are growing in dense shade, they don't produce many berries, if any at all.  The one I have is definitely a shrub, and not a tree.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Dodgy Loner

I have seen beautyberries reach 10-12' high or so - that's not too uncommon. But the stems are usually still pretty spindly - less than an inch in diameter. To be considered a tree, the stem must me at least 3" in diameter. I'm willing to bet that if the leaves are opposite and the twigs have prominent lenticels, that's a beautyberry.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

grweldon

Quote from: WDH on October 28, 2012, 07:33:08 AM
It will be be opposite branched and it is American Beautyberry

Quote from: WDH on October 28, 2012, 08:27:26 PM
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/callicar.cfm

Well, I didn't find that particular tree, however, I did find a few others with the purple berries.  I wasn't paying attention to the leaves, but I know where this one is, so once again, WDH, you are most likely correct!  I'll verify tonight if I can!

I did take a picture of a tree and some leaves that are turning yellow, but this is a different species.  I'll be uploading pics of it soon.  I appreciate all the help from everyone!

WDH

I just piggybacked on Dodgy  :D.  American beautyberry are all around my house.  There are hundreds of them.

Thank You Sponsors!