iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch issues

Started by loggingblood, October 25, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggingblood

I am having some issues, I have TJ 230d 70's some odd model.  I have a "new" problem my winch sounds like it is coming apart, this just started in last two days.  Here's the run down.  Three weeks ago transmission went out, got it rebuilt, installed. Day later brakes went out, none nada.  Replaced master cylinder.  Then within days and I mean maybe a day, the winch REFUSED to realese. And I mean refused to release.  So I repaired the winch brake cylinder, spring broke inside.  Then a day later the winch started acting up again, it would just decide it would not realese, I replaced the control valve (guessed) and then I found one of the one way check valves coming off the winch brake was not working and fixed it (piece of o-ring in it).  So I got that fixed, and boy did it run like a new machine, for a day.  Now I have this horrible noise and it will just randomly decide not to release.  I have to sometimes push the clutch in to get it to quit winching.  Please any help would be appreciated!!  I am dealing with WEEKS of constant guessing and money and waste and hopes up and going great only for this skidder to stomp me in the mud in the middle of a load.  Any suggestions, or troubleshooting anything..

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. First thing, is it a gearmatic? Hercules? What model? If the brake band is adjusted right, and it winches in with the control, andmfreespool is ok, is it possible to localize the noise? Is it more on one side of the winch than the other(loudness)? Is the oil lev up?  Can you pull a side plug off and put a "parts retriever" magnet down to the bottom of the oil cavity to see if there are any metal pieces in there( indications of bad bearing or gears wearing bad, usually caused by bad bearing(s),). A little more info will go a long way in being able to properly pinpoint the problem. I hope we can help you get to the crux of the issue, sounds like you have had a tough go for the last stretch of late.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

poorfarm

i have service books and will fax info if it helps..

loggingblood

Thanks for the response.  It is a Eaton winch, and the oil does have metal in it so we found a winch at Wolf Lake, IL and are going to replace it.  I hope this works and I am sure  it should fix my winch problem but will it fix my brake issue too?  My brakes work when they want to, and don't suddenly.  I have bled it several times since I installed master cylinder. 

Thanks for the offer on the service manuals, but I have a service manual and parts manual I just wish it had some troubleshooting step by step as I am able to fix anything, I just don't know what to fix..lol

So if I replace the winch any other suggestions?

loggah

The hercules or eaton winches usually have a bit of bronze in the oil . The bull gear is  bronze and the worm is steel and you do get fine bronze particles in the oil. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Glynn

I've Recently purchased a mountain logger skidder and I am looking for a replacement Gear Matic model #9 Winch or a parts machine, i am also in need of a new rim. If anyone knows or has heard on the bird about someone with a mountain logger for parts could you let me know..

Sincerely,
Glynn, Of Bozeman Montana

Thank You Sponsors!