iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is the Customer ALWAYS right? If its his money!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 25, 2012, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

2 guys bring me 431 international bf of logs they were given. These Pine logs had been laying in the damp, swampy, shaded woods for 4 years.
When I see and unload these logs......I never said a word, I just let them talk.
I gave them my price to saw them based on 1 inch thickness.
Then they say.....we want our boards ½" thick x wide to use as paneling in a hunting cabin. I still......don't say a word.
So the price I gave is now doubled since I'm sawing ½"......they said, that's fine.

When I put the cant hook in the first log, I thought it was gonna go all the way through the log!

In fact, after sawing a cant of boards, I had to pick the whole stack up by hand. If I were to pick up 1 board at a time, it would fall apart.

EVERY log I sawed smelled like SULFER. I have never smelled this in a log but then again, this is my first time sawing soft, swampy Pine.

The customers picked up their lumber this afternoon, gave me a $15.00 tip......and they were happy. You could not have given me this junk......but I never said a word.......the customer never ask me anything, he had cash and in my book, he was right!  :)

Check out the pics.

Here are some of the SOFT logs.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LOGDOG

Goodness ... well I gotta say, you cut it beautifully though. Nice and flat and consistent.   ;D I bet it cut like butter.

Delawhere Jack

I recently milled a bunch of ERC for a customer. Went through all the good sized stuff, and then he starts lining up 6-8" "logs", wants them milled to 1/2". I advised him that it wasn't really worth the time ($), but he insisted. Said that if he didn't get them milled he'd have to haul them to the mulch yard.

He had me come back about two weeks later and mill some more. He said that he appreciated my honesty. This time I was able to convince him that some of the spruce logs were just too rotted to bother with.

I'd rather lose a little billable work than have someone look back later and get pithed at me for charging them for milling junk.

levans

There are only two rules, #1 the customer/boss is always right #2 the customer/boss is always right

Sawdust Lover

It doesn't look that bad. Maybe it's because you did such a good milling it. Way to turn trash to treasure! smiley_clapping

macpower

Looks like nasty stuff to me. However, if they wanted it for paneling it may be just what they wanted.
I won't saw anything unless my customer knows exactly what I think he will get. There are enough unhappy people out there without me making any  more.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Red Clay Hound

At least he didn't want to cut structural lumber from those logs.  That could be dangerous! :o
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Busy Beaver Lumber

You do some nice work David. Wish you lived closer to me. Would be happy to refer work your way. I only cut from my building, but get a lot of calls for people looking for mobile cutting.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Tree Feller

I would have told them (nicely) the logs were junk. If they still insisted on having them sawn, then I would have obliged.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Brad_S.

OK, I guess I will be the butthole here.
I think you did them a huge dis-service by not advising them that the wood was too far gone and will be worthless even as paneling.
I would equate it to a mechanic changing brakes on a car that doesn't need them just because the owner heard a sqeak. Essentially you took advantage of their ignorance.
Not something I would be bragging about on a forum.
Just my non-important 2 cents.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tree Feller on October 25, 2012, 08:46:53 PM
I would have told them (nicely) the logs were junk. If they still insisted on having them sawn, then I would have obliged.

He knew EXACTLY what they were.....but his response with a big smile, FREE LOGS!

Delawhere Jack

Sawdust Lover

If they loaded the logs and they knew how long they laid in the woods i'm guessing they new they weren't going to get premium lumber out of them. They stated it was going in a cabin. I've told people there wood was junk before and they got afended. Now, if they bring it, I saw it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on October 25, 2012, 09:07:34 PM
Those were some ugly logs, David.

:D And I've said before.....I love ugly logs.

SPD748

DanG!! I had my trailer all loaded with logs just like those, ready to bring them down for you to saw. Now what am I going to do?  :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on October 25, 2012, 09:21:48 PM
DanG!! I had my trailer all loaded with logs just like those, ready to bring them down for you to saw. Now what am I going to do?  :)

-lee

I know 2 guys that might buy them.  :D

WDH

If you like ugly, then you should be happy  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trapper

I once took a rotten oak log off the mill.  When the customer came to pick up his lumber he had me put it back on the mill and saw it. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

UN Hooker

Geeezzz, That may be a new fad  " Rotty Pine Paneling" !!
          UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Okrafarmer

Quote from: UN Hooker on October 25, 2012, 10:52:08 PM
Geeezzz, That may be a new fad  " Rotty Pine Paneling" !!
          UN

It's the new walnut!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Joe: "Wow, George, where did you get that paneling? It's gorgeous! I've never seen anything like it! What is it?"

George: "They call it 'Rotty Pine'. Don't touch."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

These guys have been customers of mine for almost 2 years. I have milled their JUNK before and this is not my first rodeo with them. In fact these guys are my friends.
I cannot say how they described their own logs when they arrive.......Jeff will not allow it.

I'm the only mill they have found that will saw their "prized treasures" for them. Both of my friends are top notch carpenters and they both knew the condition of the logs. I have hit metal in their logs before, a number of times.....but they know the consequences.....and they pay.

My point was these guys new what they had.....knew what they wanted........and got what they asked for. I just wanted to share a few pics of what a lot of sawyers have to go through.

They were very excited to get the good out of the bad from this load. They'll be back Tuesday with more of the same logs.  :)

Now, I'm gonna go eat me a bowl of GRITS.....  :)    smiley_horserider

Nomad

I resawed some timbers like that for paneling a while back.  Some were solid, some were so-so, and some were just junk.  When we got down far enough in the pile, when the owner tried to pick one up with his fork truck it fell apart.  That was where we stopped. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Brad_S.

Well the fact that they were friends changes things. I thought they were strangers and you were just out to get their $$. I apologize for "dissing" you.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!