iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rough sawn sizes for hardwoods

Started by SILVERTOOTH, October 25, 2012, 12:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SILVERTOOTH

Do you sawyers with thin kerf mills use different settings (thickness and width) for rough cutting different species of hardwoods depending on the species shrinkage characteristics? I thought I read a post saying that the person hangs a chart on his mill for that specific reason? For example: instead of cutting all hardwood to a 5/4 thickness for 1" boards, you would cut a certain species to 1 1/8" because that species does not shrink much. I'm just thinking for better yield purposes, or in the other direction, having enough thickness to plane to finish dimension.

If there is a chart out there for this, I was wandering where I could get a copy?

Thanks, Joe

JustinW_NZ

Yip, I run a chart like that OR lookup the species to see what the shrinkage might be.

It really depends on the end use/user and what there after.
There was a recent thread with this in it I think?

As for a chart google is your friend :)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Delawhere Jack

Some oaks shrink over 12% tangentially, most of the other North American hardwoods run around 7-8% tangential shrinkage, and much less radially. 12% is 1/8" in 4/4 stock. With a fresh blade (and a WoodMizer mill!  :)), you can produce a finish that only needs 1/16th per side planed to remove saw marks, so 1/4" over finished thickness generally has you covered in 4/4.

If you're working with manual setworks (like me), I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't try working to closer than 1/8" tolerances.

SILVERTOOTH

Thanks,  Thought I seen a thread on this to, but could not find it with the search. The saw does have accuset, and cuts very accurate, which is why it would make sense (and cents) to tweak. At least valuable lumber.

I'll dig into google some.   Joe

Thank You Sponsors!