iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nervous?

Started by hackberry jake, October 24, 2012, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Am I the only one who still gets nervous when cutting that last 1" thick board? My band is probably about 1/4" or less from the back stops. I never have hit them cutting the last board, but Dang!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

JustinW_NZ

yeah the dog board always has been double checking the clamp etc  :-\

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Sawdust Lover

It will happen! When Timberking brought me my first mill the guy showing me how it works hit one of the dogs. I looked at him and said! is that suppose to happen? He said no but if you haven't done it you haven't been sawing long enough. If you get a little wave in that last cut BAM! Your a member of the not so lucky dog club. >:(

hackberry jake

A guy once told me "show me a guy that hasn't rolled a tractor over and I'll show you a guy that hasn't ran many tractors". Some people scare me
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Sawdust Lover

Isn't that the truth! Have you seen Poston's picture? :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 24, 2012, 08:20:03 PM
Isn't that the truth! Have you seen Poston's picture? :D

:D :D :D So I look like a tractor rolled over on me?  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Jake there are two types of sawyers those that get nervous cutting the last/dog board and those that lie about it.We all double check.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

1 inch should not bother you after a few runs.  Get the back stops at the bottom,and bring the clamp down to half or less on the board,  just make sure the blade guide clears at that point when you get there. no worries.  go for it, the 2x4 settings will get you before the one inch will.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

When I built my bandmill the head will come no closer than 1" to the bed but then theirs that DanG two plain clamp,I always double check,especially with the circular saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Riggs

For the longest time I made my last board 2" thick.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Riggs on October 24, 2012, 09:00:10 PM
For the longest time I made my last board 2" thick.
:D I know what cha mean.

thecfarm

Mine mill will not lower more than one inch on the last cut. There is no way I can hit anything.
Unless I forget to lower the log stop.  ::) I can check that thing 100 times. But the one time I don't check..... you know the rest of the story. I get the same feeling on the last cut too,jake.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hamish

Can handle the 1" cuts, its the 3/4" cuts that get me dependant on the set of my bands. Had been cutting alot of cedar so had alot of bands set to .026-.029, they hit every time, my normal 0.23 set just clears em, but I dang near bite my tongue every time it passes by.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Nomad

:D :D :D So I look like a tractor rolled over on me?  :D :D :D
[/quote]

Are ya looking for an honest answer, or do ya want us to make ya feel good? ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

Poston,you know,I really don't like g...s. But have kinda thought about trying them again just to be sure. It's been many years since those things have touched this Yankee's lips. But I saw what g...s can do for a man's legs and thier looks after seeing your golf picture and that picture that replaced the Panthers.No way am I ever going to ever be in the same place those nasty things are being cooked or being eaten. I'm not taking any chances.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

But I have gone to far to turn back.  :)

Sawdust Lover

My Timberking 2000 has 1/2" corner blocks that hold the boards in place when the dogs are no longer needed. The mill is set too clear them by a 1/2". If you put 1/4" down pressure with the guide rollers you are only clearing them by a 1/4". I set the setworks at 1" everytime above the rail but if I forget to do this I'm cutting steel.

thecfarm

It's never to late.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 24, 2012, 09:49:47 PM
It's never to late.   ;D

Didn't you ever see the movie, "TRUE GRITS" starring John Wayne......grits will make a man out of ya!  :)

thecfarm

I must of went to the bathroom during that part.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 24, 2012, 09:45:37 PM
Poston,you know,I really don't like g...s. But have kinda thought about trying them again just to be sure. It's been many years since those things have touched this Yankee's lips. But I saw what g...s can do for a man's legs and thier looks after seeing your golf picture and that picture that replaced the Panthers.No way am I ever going to ever be in the same place those nasty things are being cooked or being eaten. I'm not taking any chances.  :D
How Grits are Formed

Grits are formed deep underground under intense heat and pressure.  It takes over 1,000 years to form a single Grit.  Most of the world's grit mines are in South Carolina , and are guarded day and night by armed guards and pit bull dogs.  Harvesting the Grit is a dangerous occupation, and many Grit miners lose their lives each year so that Grits can continue to be served morning after morning for breakfast (not that having Grits for lunch and dinner is out of the question).

Yankees have attempted to create synthetic Grits.  They call it Cream of Wheat.  As far as we can tell, the key ingredients of Cream of Wheat are Elmer's Glue and shredded styrofoam.  These synthetic grits have also been shown to cause nausea.

thecfarm

Cream of what???? Looks like something that flat landers would eat. I'm not touching that.I'm real fussy about things that I eat. It has to at least walk and well, go to the bathroom, for me to even thing about eating it. My diet consist of bread,meat,mostly red, and I mean red meat and cheese.
Now we return you to the regular program all ready in process.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 24, 2012, 10:10:37 PM
It has to at least walk and well, go to the bathroom, for me to even thing about eating it. My diet consist of meat,mostly red, and I mean red .

If you're eating that much RED MEAT, then you've got to have "Powder Post Worms".  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

beenthere

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 24, 2012, 10:02:06 PM
..............Yankees have attempted to create synthetic Grits.  They call it Cream of Wheat.  As far as we can tell, the key ingredients of Cream of Wheat are Elmer's Glue and shredded styrofoam.  These synthetic grits have also been shown to cause nausea.

Can't be true, as Cream o Wheats was eaten looong before styrofoam was invented.  ;D

But then, baby pablum was close to Cream o Wheats, and if I recall both were a step up from the grits. None were good just plain straight away. Sugar, butter, syrup, etc. made 'em palatable to an extent.
Grits with a cooked egg dropped in the middle are good eatin. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I got to get to bed here sometime.  ;D  I use to bring a steak to work and warm it up in the microwave. I use to sit beside a guy that would say every time,You're going to get sick eating it that way. I would say every time,Can you imagine how red it was last night  before I warmed it up in the microwave? Than I would take a piece of bread and slop up all that good red stuff that came out of the steak. Than I would say ever noticed in a magazine the inside of a steak is always nice and pink,just about red? Never seen a steak well done have you?

Thank You Sponsors!