iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore than just pallets and firewood

Started by bellwetherbull, October 24, 2012, 07:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellwetherbull

lemmie start my first post by stating i am glad/thankful to have found you guys!

when i came across the sycamore project thread, ff had me hook, line and sinker...

anyway,
my question is what to do with these giant sycamores growing on our family farm?

all the local loggers i have spoke with show no interest with the trees,
but i think they were put here for a higher calling than paperwood.

my father and i are looking to buy/build a saw/band mill,
and the project will be special, more about the journey then the end.
but in the end, fetching a premium for our efforts would be nice:)

we have about 20-30 straight sycamores average 24-36" at chest level.
and then we have the oddball shaped ones as well,
but let's just focus on the really tall straight ones for now.
(as they need to either be topped or removed to let in sunlight)

i'll post a photo as soon as i figure out how to get it on here:)

thanks in advance for the ideas.
also, any good links/reads are definitely appreciated.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Glad you found it.
About posting pics, here is a link to the "Behind the Forum" for pic posting made easy.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

For the sycamore, then here is a thread that may help some. With pics too. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53886.msg780628.html#msg780628
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dutchman

Try doing a search for sycamore, top center.
The only way to make sycamore stable is to quarter saw.
Once again search quarter sawing.
It's very light (almost white) with darker ray flecks.
Do not drop the trees before your ready to saw.
Sycamore will rot on the ground in short time.
When Qsawing you get random width boards.
There will be a lot of movement in the boards, so cut slightly over size.

WDH

southern uh'hia

I pretty good with geography, but I am not sure about this location?  Ohio?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

Spalted, heat stressed sycamore is some beautiful stuff.

If you cut some and leave it out in the sun, up off the ground through the summer the wood will get some spalting and some green and blue streaks in the grain, it is just awesome!

I have been cutting a lot of sycamore for blocking cants. It wants to move some. Drying the logs will help it be more stable. In my opinion it makes good lumber for building, but it wont weather as well as some others.

My advice, if you like work, buy a mill and get some sawdust on ya, then you may not be able to stop sawing any kind of logs you can get a hold of. Be carefull. It is quite adicting.
Paul Case
Dealer in all things burnable.
Cattle, hay, and wood.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kansas

Several things about sycamore. From our perspective.

The first is, there is a good likelihood that they may have shake in them. We have had patches that had no shake, and then where every one is shaky. The color will vary, from white to light red. Quartersawn is indeed more stable. But I will say this. When I built my house, I decided to go through the flat sawn for a wall. We never sold virtually any of it. The top boards of the pile were all twisted and warped. After getting through those, I discovered layer after layer of boards that lay perfectly flat. Granted, some of these got put into the pile that didn't show flake. But some were the first cuts. We qs differently now, so we don't get them. When we go for spalt, its usually by accident. That is, the logs have been laying there because we never got to them. Be careful they don't lay too long. There is a fine line between spalt and rot.

Okrafarmer

Sycamore and sweetgum are in the category of trees that have tons of great potential uses, but are slow to be understood well, and slow to be accepted mainstream.

But if you get that lumber quartersawn, and carefully dried, people who see the ray-fleck pattern with their own eyes will quickly learn to buy it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bellwetherbull

above: a couple of the sycamores behind the barn,
the one closest to the pig sty is around 30" at chest high.
the top of the sty is about 6-7' tall.

bellwetherbull

yep, wdh, they're ohio river sycamores.

dutch, during my search i was blown away by the thought of making a slab bench like piston's creation.

paul, i'm one of those guys who can appreciate hard work, especially when it is profitable:)
does spalted sycamore fetch a higher $$$?

kansas, what exactly is shake?
with my untrained eye, alot of these sycamores look very straight compaired to many i have seen.

okra, gonna stay away from the sweet gum questions on this thread, lol,
i've gotta earn a little respect first:)

another idea i have been pitching, do you think anyone would trade a nice sawmill for a nice 1970 piper cherokee?
(that would obiviously get me up an running quicker vs. the homebuild timeline i am currently on)

also, we have about 60 or so wooded acres that was logged in 1994.
so there is plenty of other wood to choose from later on down the road...

Kansas

Shake is the separation of wood rings. If you cut a tree down, and you see, or within a week or so, a circular pattern that separates the wood on the end of the log, that is shake. If the end of the log splits across the face, instead of the circular pattern, you are just fine. Being the end dries and the rest of the log doesn't, it has to split one way or the other. If you have shake and cut it up, you wind up with a lot of boards that basically fall apart. I do not know your area, so can't say what the odds are. All you can do is cut one down and see what it looks like inside.

craigc

Sycamore was used as drawer side material.  As a teen working in my Dad's sawmill I saw many sycamore that had shake in them so bad they never yielded a single board.  Usually the redder the wood the more likely for sever shake.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

bellwetherbull

the possibility of shake has caused some concern...

however,
in moving forward,

do you guys think a swing-blade saw would be a better choice for quartersawing the sycamores?

if so, what are some of the better brands of swingblade saws?

if not, then why would a bandmill be the better choice?

not trying to reignite a big 'which saw is best' debate,
just looking for some healthy insight particular to sycamores...

Magicman

bellwetherbull, I was out of state when you signed on, so Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)

Since I have no Swingmill experience other than watching one, I can not offer any advice.

I have sawed a fair amount of Sycamore and it handled OK on my sawmill.  It needs what any other species needs; a well tuned sawmill and sharp blades.  I see many limbs on those trees, so you can expect the knots to have a mind of their own when the lumber is drying.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bellwetherbull

Okrafarmer

Either type of sawmill can do it, but most generally, a swing mill can handle a greater diameter of log than most portable band mills. Using various methods taught on this forum, a band mill may be slightly more versatile at it for all logs within its capacity.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

With the bandmill, you can turn the cant to orient the rings just right, time after time.  You cannot do that on the swingmill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 11, 2012, 09:54:14 PM
With the bandmill, you can turn the cant to orient the rings just right, time after time.  You cannot do that on the swingmill.

Right. A large percent of your wood would end up as rift cut under those swing mill systems. However, if I ever get one of the two major swing mill companies to consider my invention (s), that could change.  ;D

Ianab

The 2 advantages that a swingblade has in this scenario

First, it's no more work to quarter saw a log, compared to any other cutting pattern. It's just that you cut a 1x8, or an 8x1. You aren't loading and unloading pieces of log, and repositioning and turning them extra times, and edging off the tapered edges. Recovery should be similar no matter what pattern you are cutting.

Second, you can easily handle larger logs, and those are the ones that are going to have the best quarter sawn material.

Now it's true that only some boards will be 100% true quarter sawn. Some will be close, technically graded as q-sawn, but not having the visual appearance of that exact 90 deg face. And some will be rift sawn. But this is similar to the bandsaw methods, where you also recover the very best and widest boards at exactly 90 deg, then the angle tends to drift off and the boards get narrower as you go.

You are also limited to the width of cut, effectively whatever the mill is built to cut, usually 8 or 10"

So there are pluses and minuses to both type of mill.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

Shake usually indicates that some sort of bacteria is present.  You will find it often in sycamore, hemlock, and pin oak.  If its in the stand, you will probably have it in a lot of the trees. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bellwetherbull

Quote from: WDH on November 11, 2012, 09:54:14 PM

wdh, why can you not do that on a swing mill?

Nomad

With a swingmill, the log is sitting on the ground, or on bunks on the ground.  To rotate it you'd have to pretty much pick it up, turn it, and set it down again.  Okay for small stuff I suppose, but for the logs swingmills excel at it just isn't very practical.

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Okrafarmer

Quote from: nomad on November 15, 2012, 06:38:23 PM
With a swingmill, the log is sitting on the ground, or on bunks on the ground.  To rotate it you'd have to pretty much pick it up, turn it, and set it down again.  Okay for small stuff I suppose, but for the logs swingmills excel at it just isn't very practical.

As of right now, that is true. Stay tuned.....  ;)

bellwetherbull

okra sounds like he's gonna fab up a big ole lazy susan!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: bellwetherbull on November 19, 2012, 07:47:46 PM
okra sounds like he's gonna fab up a big ole lazy susan!

The only problem is, finding the time! I ought to get the swing mill first, and then I should build my inventions for it.  ::)

jwoods

Bellweather,

I don't know where you're at, but if you can get a log to my place I'll show you how to Q-Saw on a bandmill.  I cut a sycamore like that 2 years ago, beautiful stuff.

Joe

bellwetherbull

Thank You Sponsors!