iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about buying a Lucas Slabber ?

Started by Sawdust Lover, October 23, 2012, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

Hello everyone, I have been really successful selling wide live edge slabs. My Timberking will only saw a 30" wide slab and people are wanting 36" slabs for islands and tables. Not sure what there is out there for slabbers but I have been seeing alot of lucas mills. Any thoughts? And how much of a pain are the chains? How long do they last in good clean wood? This is not a hobby and I am looking to make money with it and with the Timberking there's been no looking back.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've been thinking about a slabber too......but that's all I can do right now. I'd love to have one.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 23, 2012, 09:33:07 PM
I've been thinking about a slabber too......but that's all I can do right now. I'd love to have one.  8)

If you get one, I will bring you stuff for you to mill for me.

Gollum:  >:( For us!

Smeagol:  :-X  :-\ Yes, yes, we meant for us.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Nomad

I don't have a dedicated slabber, just the slabbing attachment for my Lucas 1030.  The chains are no harder to handle than the chain for any other 5' chainsaw bar. :D  Sigidi figured a way of storing them that's no fuss, no muss, and avoids the kinks in them (staying away from the more common term for that. ;))
     If you don't need the swingblade, you can buy a slabbing mill for substantially less than a regular mill.  Bailey's is the US distributor.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Meadows Miller

Gday

The Dedicated Slabber is a great bit of kit but is something that I don't have in my arsenal but when i put the slabbing attachment it usually stays on for afew logs as thats what people want out of the whole log  ;)

And Remember you can get the Lucas circular head unit on its own at a later date as it fits on the same tracks  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Jim why do i suspect if you ever make it to my place it would not be long before Gollum kicked in and i saw you heading out my drive in a could of dust at 100 miles an hour yelling their mine their all mine with half of my bloody gear on heading north east Mate   :o :)  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 23, 2012, 09:03:53 PM
Hello everyone, I have been really successful selling wide live edge slabs. My Timberking will only saw a 30" wide slab and people are wanting 36" slabs for islands and tables. Not sure what there is out there for slabbers but I have been seeing alot of lucas mills. Any thoughts? And how much of a pain are the chains? How long do they last in good clean wood? This is not a hobby and I am looking to make money with it and with the Timberking there's been no looking back.

To be totally honest for the extra few dollars, you will never look back from getting a 10-30 EFI with a slab attachment. It will compliment your gear tremendously. With the 10-30 you can break down massive logs, then resaw the cants on your timberking, plus also with the slabber attachment you can do some sweet 36"+ live edge slabs - 3 skip chain goes like crazy through 36" slabs, it does take about 20-25 mins to swap over, so like Chris mentioned I put the slabber on for a full day of slabs.

Down here the slabber goes on, my hourly rate goes to $110/hr and at rate ppl still get VERY cheap slabs, 9 mins to cut out a 3m (10')long, 700mm wide(2'4") slab (and that is out of our hardwoods - stuff over 1000kg per cubic metre) - or conversely if you are slabbing for yaself to sell the slabs - think of what rate you are on slicing 6 of them in an hour????

The chains stand up real well when you consider what they do, its nothing to take out 25kg of sawdust for a good sized slab  :o on a nice sized (36") green log I can get through with one sharpen doing about 65mm thick slabs
Always willing to help - Allan

Sawdust Lover

9 min to cut a $300.00 slab. 10 slabs at least in a log = 90 min for $3000.00 worth of wood. Plus cost of mill, building to go over it, chains and the price of the log. Whats Bailey's #. :P

sigidi

And those aren't theoretical numbers - that's what im doing when I mill, biggest thing I find with slabs is the time taken handling. When I had Larry (my first mill, a 6-18) I slabbed a 4' bluegum, from memory something close to 40kg of sawdust per slab, that was 1 hour per slab on my own, no handling equipment, but local prices for comparable slabs where over $1300 per slab, all of that is much better if you add a second pair of hands and/or handling equipment.

Sawdust Lover

I have the equipment, just don't always have the hands. Everybody thinks it's fun until they start handling slabs and then they never come back to help. :'(

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 24, 2012, 08:55:32 PM
I have the equipment, just don't always have the hands. Everybody thinks it's fun until they start handling slabs and then they never come back to help. :'(

Man...if you have the equipment, and you do.......the rest is ALL fun! Especially slabbing.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sawdust Lover

I know but at what point in a mans life does he stop spending money? pc_smiley

sigidi

beenthere

Call Stumpy. He's the slab handler bar none. 
Redwood log slabbing Madison, WI

For the rest of the story, it took place April 2007.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,25028.msg357987.html#msg357987
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawdust Lover

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Meadows Miller on October 24, 2012, 08:59:46 AM
Jim why do i suspect if you ever make it to my place it would not be long before Gollum kicked in and i saw you heading out my drive in a could of dust at 100 miles an hour yelling their mine their all mine with half of my bloody gear on heading north east Mate   :o :)  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris

Chris, you ought to know, Smeagol / Gollum lived in New Zealand, not Oz. Oz had that wizard guy, a tin lumberjack, a crow-and-magpie scaring guy, stuffed with straw, and an introverted lion. Toto too.

But I only meant I would bring Poston logs for him to mill for me. I meant, for us.

But since you liked that, how about:

Sam:  :o Ah! A sawmill! I can make lumber with that log! (prepares to cut a board with the sawmill)

Smeagol:  :o What's it-- doin'-- precious?  ???

Sam:  ;D  Gonna make some lumber, watch! (starts making first cut)

Smeagol:  :o  :o  NO! It ruins it, precious!  >:( Nasty hobbits, ruins Smeagol's precious log!  :'(

Sam: Ruin it, what do you mean?  ???  It's the only way to make it useful. (saws a few boards, while Smeagol grieves loudly  :'( )

Sam:  :-\ If only I had an edger, I could make some nice straight edge lumber out of these boards.  ;)

Smeagol:  ???  :-\ What's-- edger, precious?

Sam: Edger? you know, a thing to clean up all these wavy live edges with-- cut it, slice it, throw it in the kiln-- nice, straight-edged lumber!  :-* Even you couldn't say no to that.  ;)

Smeagol:  ::) Oh, yes we could.  :-[  >:(   ::) Give it to us green, and warping!  :-*
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

hackberry jake

Okra, you're cracking me up! I would love a Lucas combo pack myself... Just that whole $$$ issue. One of these days.... I still haven't "made" enough to pay off the first mill. I can't justify a second.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

JohnM

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on October 24, 2012, 09:16:30 PM
I know but at what point in a mans life does he stop spending money? pc_smiley

Slab coffin!  I guarantee you'll be the only one on the block plot.  ;) :D  Plus only one pallbearer......to drive the skidsteer. 8)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Okrafarmer

I sold some ambrosia maple to make a coffin out of.  :)

logboy

QuoteHello everyone, I have been really successful selling wide live edge slabs. My Timberking will only saw a 30" wide slab and people are wanting 36" slabs for islands and tables. Not sure what there is out there for slabbers but I have been seeing alot of lucas mills. Any thoughts? And how much of a pain are the chains? How long do they last in good clean wood? This is not a hobby and I am looking to make money with it and with the Timberking there's been no looking back.

I own a Lucas dedicated slabber and an 827 mill with the planing attachment.  I run a slabbing business that is currently depriving me of sleep and my sanity. What do you want to know about the dedicated slabber? Do I like it? No. I love it. I'm not in love with the California carb on the 16 hp B&S engine, but had I known a few years ago what I know now I would have bought the slabber first and the mill later on. You'll be busy once you advertise and people find out, even with guys who already own sawmills.  You pretty much need a machine to handle the slabs. I moved some 400# WO slabs by hand a year ago and now I have a nice hernia running from my belly button down that I eventually should get fixed. You know, in my free time when I'm not slabbing or answering emails from people looking for slabs.

If you want to be able to saw very large logs into lumber then I agree with sigidi's comment. Spend a bit more and buy the new 1030 and pick up the slabbing attachment. Then you can saw either slabs or lumber, and you have more hp that uses less fuel with the new EFI engine.

Chains vary with what you are cutting. Hardwoods obviously dull faster than softwoods. I have not found any "usual" life span between sharpenings. It depends on how dry the logs are, how dirty they are, etc. I've cut wide fresh walnut I zipped through quickly with 1 chain. I've also cut narrow dry walnut that was hard as a rock and forced me to change chains after 2 cuts. Today I cut up three large white pines for rustic stair treads for a customer using the same chain.   I think I have around 9 chains now. I usually use 5-6 in a day of slabbing for a customer. They arent cheap because they are specially made for Lucas (Oregon 27RX Super Skip). With shipping from Baileys each will run you about $120.  UPS delivered my order from Bailey's today, 25' of the 27x chain (non super skip) and a load of ties so I can punch the broken teeth out on a chain I ran into a spike.  Most of the chain is bare links (190 drive links with only 14 pairs of teeth) so it makes sense just to replace the broken teeth.

Plan on buying a chain grinder once you have that many chains. Dont think you are going to clean up a chain with a file after you ram it into metal, or worse, rocks like I did last week on a 55" elm. If I have 8-9 dull chains I have 1.5-2 hours of sharpening to do at the bench. If you plan on filing that many chains you're in for a very long night. I like to grind on my own time when I can go into the barn, turn on the radio, and enjoy the beverage of my choice while I do it.

Some guys complain about manual mills and pushing. One, I like the workout. Two, if its hard too push then I know the chain is dull. Three, you can always push slower. Just remember, I only have one arm. The other is a prosthetic. So I dont want to hear any whining about how difficult it is.

There are lots of bandsaws around sawing lumber. Slabbers are pretty rare. Tonight alone I'm answering slab request emails to 3 different states.  Finding large enough logs to feed it (and the equipment to move them) can be an issue. I dont care how good you are with your Logrite, you are not loading a 3,000 pound log by hand. Just some things to consider.

If there is anything else in particular you want to know about it, let me know.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Okrafarmer

Wow, Logboy, didn't know about your arm. I'm glad you are able to do so much. One of my friends I haven't seen for a while, I heard he recently lost an arm in an industrial accident.

logboy

I wish I lived closer to you guys. I'd grab the Lucas and head on over and do a demo. I'd have you all wearing green and yellow caps in no time.  ;D

thecfarm

Sounds like Bibbyman got the WM down pat and logboy has the Lucas in his corner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cypressstump

I have been wondering who would be the closest Slabber owner to me in South Louisiana?  I would love to own one, but can not utilize it to the fullest due to my day job. Early retirement,,, HUmmmm? ?  ;D

I have located several huge sinker cypress logs of which I have not pulled due to my inability to handle them given my current mill. I do not want to rip them down into manageable milling size for me, not yet. These would be super prime logs for a slabber, which would produce some very high quality and high dollar live edge conference table sized slabs.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

JohnM

Quote from: logboy on October 25, 2012, 11:31:38 PM
I wish I lived closer to you guys. I'd grab the Lucas and head on over and do a demo. I'd have you all wearing green and yellow caps in no time.  ;D

I'm already wearing my imaginary Lucas hat. ;D  I think I know how Les Nessman felt... ::)

Great write-up, JR!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

logboy

Quote from: Cypressstump on October 26, 2012, 09:50:06 AM
I have been wondering who would be the closest Slabber owner to me in South Louisiana?  I would love to own one, but can not utilize it to the fullest due to my day job. Early retirement,,, HUmmmm? ?  ;D

I have located several huge sinker cypress logs of which I have not pulled due to my inability to handle them given my current mill. I do not want to rip them down into manageable milling size for me, not yet. These would be super prime logs for a slabber, which would produce some very high quality and high dollar live edge conference table sized slabs.

Call Baileys, 1-800-322-4539. Tell them you are interested in a Lucas, particularly the slabber.  They should be able to put you on to the closest person in your area with the dedicated slabber, or at the very least, the slabbing attachment for the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!