iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back on the edge of the Swamp

Started by Tom, March 18, 2004, 05:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

There are two road 121's.  One of them is in Florida on the East side of the St. Mary's and one is on the West side in Georgia.  Most folks that live around the river don't draw any distinction as to which state they live in.  It' s just one great big rural community.

Today I sawed on the Florida 121.  My customer is from England and has lived here for 30 years.   His accent is still strong but flavored with S.Georgia drawl.  Mr. Tommy, the fellow with the one-tree house trailored his backhoe over and worked like a banshee around the mill.  I got on-site at 9:00 AM, set up by 9:30 and sawed till 12:30 when Mrs. Edith cooked hamburgers and served a big pot of vegetable soup with plenty of iced tea. Back to work at 1:30 and with three 15 minute breaks we quit at 6:00, lacking only 6 logs of being done.

Mr. Tommy jumped in his truck and headed home to gather some wood for the stove.  Friday mornings he cooks breakast for the men in the neighborhood and I've been invited.  

We will finish this job on the Florida side by noon and move the mill to the Georgia side to cut some pine for a house that Mr. Tommy is getting ready to sell..............again.  He has sold it three times in the past 4 years and the people keep walking off from it.  When they do, he has to replace walls and floor and all manner of stuff.  This cutting will be for some wide boards to Board and Batten the whole building again.

Here is a picture of David, the Englishman, off-bearing slabs this morning, when we had just gotten started. When we quit this evening we found that we had cut over 3000 board feet of 2x6's and miscellaneous 1x's and 2x4's.  No wonder we were tired.

shopteacher

All I can say Tom is I wish the morning here looked like that.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

pasbuild

Thats a better looking pic then the one out my living room window, all I can see is the 8' snow banks :(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

redpowerd

wish the back edge of my swamp looked like that. i see the beavers have been active since my last visit.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kevin

Frickman

Look at you guys in short sleeves! 26 degrees here this morning, damp and cold. Froze my tail off riding the skidder in to the woods, probably will tommorow too. Might have to drive south till its warm enough to work.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Fla._Deadheader

Ahh, remember them cold days, all too well.

Sky was so clear the past 2 days, we all got sunburn. Short pants are MOST welcome. Sawdust has more places to get into, though. ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Minnesota_boy

It got pretty warm up here yesterday, so warm that I had to adopt some of the Florida uniform for sawing.  I sawed all aftenoon in a t-shirt.  Was plenty warm, soaked the brim of 3 caps before the day was over.  On the way home I found out that the tempeature had gotten clear up to 43.  Just like Florida.  I'll be waiting for Tom and Deadheader to come visit now that it is so warm.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

43 in  a T-shirt?  Boy!  Are you Nuts?  Thats Sit-in-the-house-start-late-coffee-drinking weather. :D

MrMoo

Heck 43 would be nice here this week. Its snowing again this morning. 3 mornings in a row now.

pappy

minus 5 at 4:am and plus 34 at 11:00 am--perfect maple syrup weather  ;)

not quite t-shirt weather yet but a sweatshirt will do  :D

been sunny here for the past couple days--when the sun comes out and you stand outa the wind it sure feels like spring--oh yeah winter today and spring tomorrow--should be MUCH warmer tomorrow   :D  :D

Tom is every t-shirt you own RED ??   :D  :D  :D  :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Tom

I have one gold one that I use for special occassions.  Kind of a dressy up color. ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

:D :D I like that cartoon you drew the best, Jeff. :D :D  It's gotta be good if I can recognize myself. ;D

Minnesota_boy

Jeff,
That's a great picture of Tom.  Looks pretty much like him alright.  Now can you do one of him in his "dress up" clothes? :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Pete J

pappy

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Great way to start a weekend!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the chuckles guys  :D  :D  :D  :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!