iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apples!

Started by metalspinner, October 22, 2012, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

You should be able to find a shop down there. But a lot easier if your near a steel making town. Not all outfits ship outside of the country as I found with SS wire. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I would glue that piece back together with JB Weld and let er rip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

I found a shop in Tennessee and will send him some pics of the part.  They have been business since 1847, so I guess they know what they are doing. :D  They are too far away to drive , so I'll send it UPS.

My machine is missing a couple more parts. Here is a picture of one in a museum that is complete...

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/cookbooks/museum%20images%20for%20cookbooks/images/paringmachine2.jpg

On the right, you can see a piece pointing straight down with"B 43" on it and on the right side in the middle is a part labeled "13 B."  B 43 is a finger that knocks the apple off the corer on its way back to the left and 13 B engages the back cog to knock the core of the apple off the tines. I would like to make a pattern out of wood of these parts then have them cast. Tomorrow, I will ask him about that procedure. :)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

There was a fellow out in Wisconsin that forged a Norse sword the way they did 800 years ago. There was even some inlay that those old Norse did on the sword, duplicated that to. So anything is doable.  As far as they could determine the original steel was from Iraq brought back from trade. Once the trade was cut off, the steel in the old swords was different. This was low carbon steel so it would not break. Good sword steel even in today's world. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Let's get this thread back to food!

I went to the local produce stand this morning to pick up some apples.

This is what I found...

So much for supporting a local farmer. :D  I ended up buying 6 bushels - 3 each of Golden Delicious and Winesap.

I was too busy running around the apple press and forgot to take pictures, but we ended up with about 14 gallons of cider.

I did not use all the apples for cider, though. ;D

After I cleaned up the press, we went inside and started to make some apple butter.  This is my first attempt and am using a recipe from The Apple Lover's Cookbook.

We started by peeling 12lbs of apples (a double recipe).  Although my new peeler's corer is broken, it still peels apples as fast as you can turn the crank.

The only problem is that the fun doesn't last. :D

Here are all the apples cored and sliced...

I added some fresh squeezed apple cider then began reducing.

Once the apples softened up, we smashed them down and added sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.  Can you smell it?? ;D

At the moment, I am still reducing to get the right consistency.  the color is turning darker, but all the apple butter I have seen was a  really dark red. Does this occur after a while of simmering?

Later tonight, I will begin canning the apple butter.  This will be my first attempt at canning. ::)

SwampDonkey

I suspect it will turn as the air acts on it. ;D

Looks some good so far. ;D

metalspinner

It's getting darker...and thicker...and smellier. ;D

food6

thecfarm

My wife uses a big slow cooker now,one that is big enough for turkey too. She use to do it on the stove.She said it's much easier now. Comes out the same way.Canning is easy. Just do it the way the directions says. If a lid pops off REAL easy when you open it,don't eat it.
Use to be a produce auction in Leola.PA.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I know in southern Ontario, the Mennonites have a produce auction. Never been to it, just heard a story on the radio. I heard they do it because they figured the middle men were taking too much profit. And they are right on that point.

metalspinner

The number one lesson I learned yesterday....

Applebutter needs to be started in the early morning hours - not mid-afternoon. ::)

After all day and night simmering and reducing on the stove, my 12 pounds of apples were reduced down to 11 itsy-bittsy 12 oz. jars. No wonder this stuff is so expensive.  ::)  I think I need a bigger pot. :D

SD,

In a few years, I will be able to cut out all the middle men. Last year I planted an assortment of dwarf apple trees in the yard.  This year, my harvest total was 2 apples. :D Like I said, it will take a few years yet. :D

SwampDonkey

Wait until you begin purchasing spray for scab and railroad worm. And scab isn't just on the fruit, it hits the stem and girdles. It doesn't seem to kill the wild trees, just the good eat'n ones. Kinda like coons with corn, they want sweet garden corn, not that field fodder corn. :D

fieldofdreams

I also have a Bonanza apple peeler that I want to restore.  How did you remove the 3 prong piece that holds the apple on the shaft.   All of the pieces seem to be in place and disassembly seems to be straight forward except for the removal the 3 prong piece.  The shaft that pushes off the the apple core is frozen.  What did you have to do to repair yours?  Any advice will be greatly appreaciated!

metalspinner

Welcome to the forestryforum, fieldofdreams! :)

The prong is threaded. Place a knife blade through the prongs and turn the handle backwards. It should screw off. Once the prong is off, the rod assembly can be removed from the machine.

The shaft on mine was also stuck. Apple guts and juice had accumilated in the assembly over the years and locked it up. Drill a hole through a block of wood so the flattened end of the rod can pass through it. This is the side with the little gear on it. The gear will be face down centered around the hole. Then tap the opposite side (where the prong used to be) so the rod will be pushed out through the block of wood. Working the rod back and forth will eventually loosen up the crud that has accumilated. Plenty of WD40 sprayed during this will help, too.  Once its out, it's just a matter of cleaning both parts really well and keeping it lubricated. I use mineral oil.

The broken cast iron parts have been sent to a foundry, but it's taking them a while to get to it. ::)

In the mean time, I have been making a couple of other parts that were missing from the machine.

Here is the peeler as it sits today.  The base is QS white oak that I ripped and glued back together to look like a butcher block.  I used walnut oil as the finish.

The finger that hangs down on the left will knock the apple off the corer on the return slide. I patterened this off an internet photo and scaled it using the existing threaded holes on the machine.

The "return" mechanisim was a bit more work. The rectangular bar was machined to slide freely in its slots and the upright finger was welded together and screwed in place. As the large gear turns, the button sticking out pushes this upright finger and "returns" the mechanism to its starting position. The large screw head you see on the bar is used as a stop.

Here you can see the right end of the return bar.  This side engages the push rod that fieldofdreams mentioned. On the "return" the rod is pushed to the left and the apple core is knocked off the prongs.

Looking around on the internet, I have found only one very dark image of an optional accessesory that I would like to recreate. It is a slicing mechanism that travels along with the corer and rotary slices the apple as its being peeled.  The internet image is not of good enough quality for me to copy the part, though. :(

feildofdreams, any chance you have that part on your peeler?

SwampDonkey

Sure is nice and shiny all cleaned up, looks new. Like to see old stuff breath life again. ;D

Hollis Alaska

What beautiful looking equipment!!!! Sure wish we had some of those apples here, we have to pay a small fortune for an apple. Our guests were surprised when we  split one between us. Guess it's the price we have to pay to have all the seafood we can eat. Thanks for sharing all the pictures

Gary

SwampDonkey

They are high here to, so I don't buy them at a grocery store. I go get them from the farmer a whole lot cheaper, big time.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, fieldofdreams and Hollis Alaska.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fieldofdreams

I don't have the optional equipment on my Bonanza that you mentioned, but it does sound interesting.  I hope in a few weeks that I can get mine looking and working as well as yours.  In your research have you found any information as to the original color(s) of the peeler.  I have seen picture of Red, Green, Yellow & Black - The one I have is an "Off White"!!   Thanks for the info about the disassembly of the unit.

metalspinner

No definitive answer on the color.  I have seen the rainbow of colors you mentioned, too.  Mine had no color left on it - just rust. :D

Good luck with the rebuild. :)

metalspinner

It's time to catch you guys up on the cider production...

For a change of pace, this year, my niece's Girl Scout troop came out and took control of the production.

The action picked up once all the girls trickled in...

I hit the local orchards early this year to get ahead of the animal feeders and found one that had 10 bushels of "cider" apples.  This was the most i have pressed at once.

All of their hard work is starting to pay off! :)

The next day, I started bottling it. Bottles are expensive! Including shipping, these 1/2 gallon jugs ended up about $5 each. :o

Throughout the year, we had been saving these heavy plastic bottles. They wash, wear, and freeze well.  This stainless pot is great for filling them, too. 8)
Here's the Vice President in charge of bottling.

Here the glass bottles are in the water bath sealing.

This year I ended up with 35 gallons!  That is about 3.5 gallons per bushel.  Several factors played into the increase. The apples were fresher this year opposed to previous years. And I modified the gap between the cutter head and the crushing wall making it very small - about 1/16". This makes for a finer pulp and more juice.

metalspinner

The apple peeler has also been completed this past fall!

The foundry that agreed to make the part took there time for sure.  I called the salesman at the end of each month and got the runaround each time. At the 11th month, I changed my strategy in "working" with them. I got hold a woman working in the office and told her the tales of my interactions with the salesman. The new parts were in my mailbox within a week - no charge. ;D  You just need to find the right kind of person to work on your side. :D

Here is a clip showing the machine and how it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9RZBmwEXs&feature=youtu.be

beenthere

Wonder why I don't get sound on that video.  Any ideas? Sound works on other videos, and my sound card volume slide is turned up as well as the sound slide on the Youtube video display.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

beenthere,
Not sure? I am getting the sound fine on my end.

Just imagine a Cajun accent bumbling and stumbling along making up all kinds of stuff. :D

...with a coon dog in the background howling a the neighborhood cat.

Shotgun

Sound works fine here, beenthere.  I can even hear the coon dog howling in the background.  Good job, metalspinner.  Keep looking bt.   

Merry Christmas.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

Sound is fine on my end. Did the dog ever catch the cat?  :D
Thanks for the catch up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!