iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello Everybody, I need help.

Started by Haydn, October 21, 2012, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haydn

I'm looking for somebody who runs a bandsaw mill within a few hours drive of me (Hillsborough, NC) who would allow me to watch and maybe help for a day some weekend/s? I'm interested in starting a portable saw business but there's a big hole in my story--I've never done it.

Right now I stay home with my 22 month old son. Before I was a cook at a catering company. My wife's a biostatistician. Someday I'd like to own a small farm with a mix of forest and pasture and build (help build) a timber frame home.

I've been lurking a while and the level of experience and knowledge on the board is intimidating. I'm sorry I won't be much help to anybody anytime soon. I do know a good bit about cooking though. Maybe I can help at there since we all got to eat.

inspectorwoody

Welcome to the FF!  :)

Plenty of guys are in the business here and they will be along shortly to help you out and provide you with information.

Plenty to learn here.  ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hayden, Whats Hillsborough close to? I'm 20 minutes below Charlotte.

David

P.S. What for the love of sawdust is a biostatistician?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red

are you addicted to Sawmills on youtube
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum Haydn!

David, PLEASE put the Panther logo back. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

beenthere

Poston is the one who needs help....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

No more Cats! 

Haydn,

We also have a FOOD Board  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Haydn

Haydn

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 21, 2012, 08:19:02 PM
Hayden, Whats Hillsborough close to? I'm 20 minutes below Charlotte.

David

P.S. What for the love of sawdust is a biostatistician?  :)

Hillsborough is just west of Durham, North of Chapel Hill and within driving distance I'd say. You work weekends? A biostatistician usually does statistical work for the medical industry, usually drug trials.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I work on Saturdays.  smiley_chop

And as far as your wife being a Biostatistician.....sounds like your new mill will have hydraulics on it.  :)

Sawdust Lover

I'm about 2 hours north of you in Floyd,Va. I work weekends.

Okrafarmer

I'm about five hours away. If you get bored with Poston and Sawdust Lover, you can trek down here and have some fun offbearing with me as I mill short stuff, rotten stuff, stressed stuff, and stuff nobody else but WHD has ever heard of or smelled before.

(I promise I won't do Ailanthus again).  :(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WildDog

Welcome to the FF Hayden, looks like you've got a couple of good offers already.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

kelLOGg

If its not too far ;D i'm 20 minutes away. I'd be glad for you observe/help. I have some oak and hickory on the rollway I need to finish up and I plan to do it this week or perhaps weekend.

There is a guy on the FF who actually is in Hillsboro. If he chimes in, heck, maybe he's 5 min away ;D. Anyway you roll the dice, we've got you covered.

Let me know your schedule.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

His name is "taylorsmissbeehaven" and he's in Hillsboro. You might PM him. Don't know what kind of mill he has. My mill is "manual" so you probably don't want to start a business with that because the log handling is too slow. You probably want hydraulic for faster handling. My offer still stands for you to see what/how I do it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

xlogger

If you want to help some weekends (unload mill the fun part) let me know. I live in Bahama just minutes away, also I'm older now but tell your wife I was around in the 60's and 70's and I might what to try some drugs now :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

sigidi

Welcome to the Forum mate - you'll fit in well round here, every second post turns to food  ;D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

downsouth

welcome hayden,yes we all like food. It's a way of life down here.

Haydn

Quote from: downsouth on October 22, 2012, 07:14:05 AM
welcome hayden,yes we all like food. It's a way of life down here.

ya, hard work makes for big appetites!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hayden, give us some ideas of what you like to cook. I'm taking off work today to sit right here and wait on your answer.  :D :D :D

Haydn

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 21, 2012, 09:12:53 PM
I work on Saturdays.  smiley_chop

And as far as your wife being a Biostatistician.....sounds like your new mill will have hydraulics on it.  :)

Haha. ya, she's rather petite. With the amount of time she spends intensely staring at a computer screen these days she deserves an early retirement. I picture here more on the porch with a mint julep in my future plan rather than moving lumber :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Hayden  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) As others have said you'll fit rite in  ;) The way I see it We all started in this game with the same amount of experience I was lucky to be born into this game but people here and in it genine and generally willing to help someone get into it so whatever we can do to help we will  ;) thats why I love this industry  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

so you have a youtube sawmill clip addiction you are not alone  ;) hello My names Chris and I have a problem  ;) :D :D ;D 8)

P.S hayden it usually works the other way arond you end up moving the lumber and they operate the machine you have aways wanted  ;) But I think along the same lines as you do  ;)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!