iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small skidder of tactor?

Started by ADK Ken, October 21, 2012, 08:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADK Ken

My church is on 275 acres that we will start to harvest. Would love to get a 40 h tractor with a skidding plate. Then a saw all thesesmall articulated tractors on youtube from europe like Agt, goldoni. Real small,lots of hp. Can you even get them in the states?

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. How big and what kind is the wood on the church lot and how far is the skid to get to the landing? land rough,hilly,rocky? You have experience cutting AND selling wood?Those tractors you mentioned are pricey,but work good I guess. I have no idea about getting parts when things break. I have a 40hp NH. It just about does what I want,but I use to really work it on the big stuff,3 feet across. Skidder maybe the way to go. A tractor will do it,but it takes alot more time to get the job done. I use to log for money on my land with a tractor. roads have to be planned out better,brush have to be cut down. Can't run through the brush with those tires too much. Saw mills like the wood fresh. They don't want it 2 months old. It takes time to do a good looking job. Yes,you can go in and cut down the trees and grab the logs and go and leave the mess behind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

Welcome to the forum ADK Ken. Could you share a little more information with us? It would help us with our answer your questions. Where are you located, what size timber are you cutting,are you marketing the logs or sawing them yourself? OESCO in Conway Ma. was a dealer/importer for Goldoni tractors.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

shinnlinger

Those European tractors are available but as previously mentioned big $ for little machine.  If your purpose is to just pull wood off that lot, I would think a used skidder would serve you better, but would it make more sense to get some quotes and have it logged???
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

John Mc

A used skidder would probably make short work of getting the wood off the Church's lot, but there may be other considerations here.  Does the church have other uses for the equipment beyond this logging job?  If so, a tractor may be the way to go.  You sacrifice some utility or efficiency in the woods, but can use it for snow removal, landscaping, mowing or other work with the addition of a few extra implements.

The fact that you are out looking for equipment gives me the impression that you (or the church) are planning on doing this on your own, or with volunteer work.  With a name like "ADK Ken", I'm assuming you are in the Adirondacks.  If so, there is probably no shortage of people in your area who know what they are doing when it comes to making a forest management plan and logging.  This can be dangerous work.  Make sure you've got someone who can do it safely.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

Back 30 yrs ago when i was logging full bore we all donated our time and skidders to get these kind of projects done. Truckers hauled as we logged, timber buyers and local mills took the wood, church payed everybody's fuel cost
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!