iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill fun today

Started by Buddyw, October 20, 2012, 05:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

I had opportunity to get away from the house today and go watch a guy run his mill . Man what a good morning I had.  As most of yall know I been just sitting around since I had shoulder surgery , reading stuff , talking on phone , watching TV , and getting pretty bored . So while on one of my phone conversations , me and my wife got a  invitation to watch a guy run his circular mill cutting some dry white oak this morning. You know I just had to go , (sore shoulder and all) . LOL... I ask my wife to take her camera because this was not only a learning experiance for me since I am green, this is a opportunity for me to have pictures to help me sitting my mill back up after I get all healed again. LOL... Here are just a few of the pictures we took. I hope yall will enjoy them and see just a part of the fun I had today .  I really needed it ....

invi

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll bet after a day watching that mill....your shoulder is completely healed.  :D
Tell your wife she takes some great pics!
Glad you had fun....but you knew you were before you went.  :)

Take care of that shoulder Buddy.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPD748

Finally! A circle mill. I was beginning to think those bandmill guys were taking over :D

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on October 20, 2012, 07:54:56 PM
I was beginning to think those bandmill guys were taking over :D

-lee

spam_

wascator

Wow! That's a beautiful mill, the mill of my dreams! Is it an American, or? That carriage drive looks like one from an old American mill catalog I have.
Glad you had a great day. I know I would have if I had been there! Thanks for the report and pics.

bandmiller2

Glad you got out mate,that drive is what they call "Heacock drive"very common on older mills along with a friction drive.A friction drive has a smaller flat pulley held agenst a larger one to feed, gigback is the same as the Heacock.Buddy what did the fella have for a power plant? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Buddyw

wascator , This is a Frick mill , not sure what size . bandmiller2 , he has it powered with a old (gasoline) Case power unit. Neet set up.   

bandmiller2

Buddy,you've got the time google sawmills on you tube,hours of entertainment.You will notice most of the mills are underpowered the sawyer has to slow down or even stop in good sized logs thats hard on the saw and production.Its probibly possible to put too large an engine on a mill but I've never seen it,you want to hold your hammered speed all through the log.I've got a tired old 100 hp diesel on my mill but put a transmission between the feed works and the cable drum.Large hard logs I downshift so I don't have to keep playing with the feed.Many here run with light power but once you have some real torque on your arbor you don't want to go back. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

steamsawyer

Finally! A circle mill. I was beginning to think those bandmill guys were taking over :D

-lee

Us circle mill guys got to stick together... However, we can blend right in with the shoestring bladed guys too. After all it's about the smell of sawdust and a freshly opened log... Let me add, I also like the smell of a wood fire and steam cylinder oil.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Buddyw

Yea bandmiller2 , I do understand about being under powered. This mill was underpowered and he did have to slow down quite a bit and he even stoped completely a few times.  Still was a neet set up though...I dont know mills yet but I do know engines and when they are running in too much labor. I dont think I will have a power issue with mine , that Murphy Diesel will get down and dirty when it needs to. LOL ...steamsawyer, I know the feeling . I too love the smells related to sawing, wood smoke, coal smoke, diesel fumes..anything like that...  I will see if I got a picture of the Murphy engine I plan to use on my mill. If I do I will post it..

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 20, 2012, 07:57:38 PM

-lee

spam_

David is just grumpy about his Panthers losing (notice the change in avatar pics ;D ;) :D).  How bout them Cowboys?!  (couldn't resist David ;))

Looks like a fun field trip. 8)

JM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

SPD748

Quote from: JohnM on October 21, 2012, 06:07:28 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 20, 2012, 07:57:38 PM

-lee

spam_

David is just grumpy about his Panthers losing (notice the change in avatar pics ;D ;) :D).  How bout them Cowboys?!  (couldn't resist David ;))

Looks like a fun field trip. 8)

JM

Who are these 'Panthers' you speak of? Though I'm not big on professional sports, I have heard the Cowboys can wrangle more than just cows.  smiley_whip

:) :) :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PANTHERS?  Never heard of them!  >:(

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

I liked the panther logo much better than that picture of that old man.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Well,i was sawing with my Belsaw today ,but no pictures. A friend of mine used to have a Murphy 4 cylinder on his number 1 lane no lack of power there ,just kept chugging away ,didnt work hard enough to hardly get to operating temp !! he lost the oil cooler in it a few years back ,and it was cheaper to replace the Murphy with a 6-71 detroit then get a oil cooler. The detroit dont have anywhere near the lugging power the Murphy had. I ended up taking the murphy power unit to the scrapyard for him weighed right around 5000lbs.  I actually had to break it down with my labounty scrap shear ,toughest engine i ever had to cut up,tougher then ,cummins and big cats. :o Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on October 21, 2012, 07:42:28 PM
I liked the panther logo much better than that picture of that old man.  :D

Which do you want to look at ......a winner or a loser?  ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

wascator

From what i can find, the Frick 00 was the smallest and f
rick mills in general were very common.
I figure I can power a mill with a tractor PTO, anyone see why not? I'll borrow one of Dad's old John Deeres. He has a 4320 he hardly ever uses, I bet it would not bog. ;D

thecfarm

Buddy's thread has gone to the dogs. Sorry about that. :D  No mentioned of food yet even.
Those mills are really something else. I like to see them being used too. Was one about 10 minutes from me. A fire got it in the night. The son brought a Board walker,but the Father was looking at another Lane.

Buddyw

loggah, I am sorry to hear you scraped that Murphy  :'(.  I would have to save up some money to pay shipping but , I would have tried to buy it.  Scrap is a bad word. LOL...  Just the injectors for that Murphy now days (if you can find them) bring from 250 to 500 each. I went today for my first visit to physical therapy. I feel worse now than  I did before I went , oh well . Im going to eat lunch , take a pill and rest. I check back later..

loggah

Buddy, Ya i know we asked around and found no one here who wanted it !! so to scrap it went, i had a old friend that had Murphys in a few 80D northwest shovels,but there long gone now. The Murphys were a great engine.  i went thru the bad back thing a few weeks ago,im all set now, take it easy. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Buddyw

Hi Don, I know I can not save them all but ,  I do try ... LOL..  You just had to mention Northwest 80D , well Northwest of any size , it don't matter and Murphy diesels . Well that is my down fall , my weakness , my wife said I got this desease . LOL...  I have sereral Norhwest cranes in my collection powered by Murphys here at home and sereral Murphy engines ether just sitting in sheds or mounted on skids ready to power something like a sawmill..  LOL... I will as soon as I can , get my wife to download some pictures of my Northwest machines for every one to see..I have also been told I have had tooooo much Murphy diesel smoke up my nose, That is what caused my desease...  LOL....

drobertson

Buddy, nice, glad you are having fun, just in time for some cooler weather too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!