iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New [s]Toy[/s] tool?

Started by hackberry jake, October 20, 2012, 05:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

So my bday is coming up and my fiancé wants to know what she should get me. I don't have a logrite yet, but ever since I added hydraulics, it hasn't been much of an issue. I like hand tools so I was thinking maybe a new plane that I don't have yet or a draw knife, or adze, or heck I don't even have a hatchet. What would you guys get in the hand tool in the $100 range?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

downsouth

My bday was a few days ago and my wife got me my first logrite 48" $115. Including delivery from WM.  and a moister meter . She thinks I'm crazy that I want things like that for gifts, but she doesn't have the bug like I do. (I love the logrite)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ever she gets you......like it and like it a lot!  :D

My wife got me a new cordless drill one year....still got it. I was happy!   8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

A Starrett combination square.  You can use it for the next 60 years with pride and confidence.  As your tool using years wane it will be time to pass it along as a heirloom to grand kids or sell it at a large profit to buy Geritol Tonic.

Best part its an accurate made in the USA tool...for how many more years nobody knows.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mikeb1079

jake do you have a pickaroon?  i believe logrite makes one.....i made one for myself and it's about the handiest thing around my mill.   rolling, adjusting, moving logs etc....
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

How about a sprayer so you can spray the ends of the logs with a commercial end coating to prevent cracking and splitting from drying.  And if she feels rich, get a small heater that you can put in an insulated box (old refrigerator) so that the end coating and sprayer will stay warm and will not freeze (although commercial end coatings have a winter formulation to prevent freezing).
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Okrafarmer

A few tools I appreciate. I have some of these, and want others:

Cat's paw (for getting those nails out)
Metal detector
short cant hook for the mill
Logrite anything. . . .
Vibratory sander. Helps you test-sand a small section of a board to show a customer what it would look like if it were all sanded. Just picked one up at a yard sale for $3 today!  8)
Draw knife
Debarking spud
Sledge hammer
Speed wrench (a hand-cranked socket spinning wrench)
3/4 inch drive set
Good hand-held pruning saw.
chain fall

And you might consider getting a better quality one of something you already have-- a premium hammer, tape measure, etc.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!