iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Willow oak?

Started by hackberry jake, October 20, 2012, 03:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Anybody ever heard of willow oak? My brother bought a house that has willow oak trees in the yard. They look different than any oak tree that I'm familiar with. Has anybody sawn any?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw them a lot down here, Jake.

The Willow Oak and the Maple are the primary shade trees we have. A lot of people dislike the Willow Oak because of the leaf. They will flat stop up a gutter system on a house. Plus the leaves are impossible to rake up in a yard. But this tree really makes a GREAT shade tree.
I have sawn a good bit for customers. Personally I don't like it for making anything. Lots of water in this tree.

Check out this website.....exactly what I have.

www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/willow_oak.htm
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Red Clay Hound

They're common around here.  It's a red oak similar to water oak.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Nomad

I took one down in my yard a few years ago.  Down here they grow fast.  Like in, really fast!  Not very long lived either.  I think around 70-75 years they're getting long in the tooth.  It is a red oak, and as was said very similar to water oak.  From what I milled out of mine it isn't very impressive wood.  Makes a much better shade tree than it does lumber.  I haven't sawn one for anybody else; next one might be different.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Okrafarmer

Of the oaks we have around here, in my opinion, water oak and willow oak are two of a kind, and not very impressive as far as oaks go. They do grow fast in the yard, though, like mutants almost. In fifty years either species can be over 3' diameter. Slower in the woods, maybe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

As with any yard tree, there is always a chance of bacterial infections that reulst in wetwood, which smells, is weak, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Okrafarmer

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on October 20, 2012, 10:35:23 PM
As with any yard tree, there is always a chance of bacterial infections that reulst in wetwood, which smells, is weak, etc.

I'm glad you brought that up, Doc Gene. Why would you say this is more prevalent in yard trees?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've seen more yard trees with disease which began with an opening in the bark caused from weed eaters and lawn mowers.

jcbrotz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 20, 2012, 10:44:23 PM
I've seen more yard trees with disease which began with an opening in the bark caused from weed eaters and lawn mowers.

And kids with hammers :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

WDH

Also, soil conditions play a part, and yards can be compacted from humans doing stuff. 

The big willow oaks in the swamps down here can be very impressive. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

We saw quite a few willow oaks.  All are native grown and saw out about the same as black oak.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Red Clay Hound

As I mentioned earlier, most of the Willow Oak I have milled were similar to Water Oak.  From my experience it tends to have a lot of color variation and more defect than most Southern Red or Northern Red Oak.  In other words, it has a lot of character! :)  I actually like the end result.  Here is a photo of a room addition I am working on using Water Oak.  It is still a work in progress.  I'll post some more photos when I finish - not sure when that will be given the number of projects I have on the burner.  :D

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Okrafarmer

WDH

I have personally met this wood, and it is beautiful!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Red Clay, you have done a very nice job .....that Water Oak looks amazing.

grweldon

I have many Water Oaks on my property and I am suspecting that the largest tree on the place is a Willow Oak, but I'm not sure.  It's about 42" DBH and is in need of pruning.  I looked at it this weekend and I want to call an arborist to see what I can do to preserve it.  I figured it was over 150 years old until I read this thread.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Okrafarmer

Well the ones on a lawn can grow faster than ones in the woods. If you are fertilizing the lawn, and not providing any other trees nearby for competition, they will grow rather rapidly. My main experience is with water oaks. I'm not sure whether willow oaks do exactly the same thing, but they appear to be very similar trees except for the shape of the leaves.

With lawn-based water oaks around here, ½-¾ inch growth rings are not uncommon to see.

WDH

grweldon

I'll have to get some pics of the leaves of this particular tree and post them.  I've very confused now, could be either one or even a live oak, which is what I'm leaning toward...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Solomon

Round my neck of the woods its fire wood or chaulking dunnage at best.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

WDH

If it is live oak, the underside of the leaf will be a very dull green/tawny brown.  The upperside will be very glossy green.  The leaf margins will be revolute (the top of the leaf is curled toward the underside just a bit at the leaf margin).  This bi-color leaf of live oak will be very different than willow or water or laurel oak where the color on the upperside leaf and the underside leaf is the same color green and there is no curling of the leaf margin.  Give us a pic of the top and bottom of a leaf and a bark pic.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 23, 2012, 07:48:50 PM
  Give us a bark pic.

Talk about out of context.  :D

WDH

Bark got me in trouble with Dana (Holmes on the Forum), so I am going to bow wow out on this one  ;D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 23, 2012, 08:13:13 PM
Bark got me in trouble with Dana (Holmes on the Forum), so I am going to bow wow out on this one  ;D.

So what are you saying....are you gonna Flea?   :)

WDH

Yes, with my tail between my legs  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!