iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Names of trees

Started by thecfarm, October 19, 2012, 10:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

In my Forest Trees of Maine book and I suppose others books are like this too.
I listed 4 examples.
Eastern White Pine Pinus strobus L.
Red pine Pinus resinosa Soland.
Eastern Hemlock Tsuga canadensis (L.) Carr.
Sugar Maple Acer saccharum Marsh.
The common name,Eastern White Pine
The latin name,pinus strobus
And than the part I don't understand L, than the red pine is Soland,than the Hemlock  has (L.) Carr. the maple is Marsh.
I would like to know what all that means. There are others to,but don't want to list them all unless I have too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

L stands for Linneaus.  He is the dude that came up with the nomenclature of how to name stuff scientifically.  That last part, the L, Marsh, etc., that is the person who identified and named the species. 

Like this:  If you discovered a totally new species of grits, then you could name it like this.  Foodus Deliciousness thecfarm.

(I know that it was mean, but man, I really enjoyed doing that.  Ray, you threw me a slow change-up right down the middle  :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

and sent it out of the park.   ;D  I kinda wondered that but did not want to tell the Grandson something wrong. Thank you.   Good night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You know, with your produce business and all, you might try breeding a new species of grits.  It could make you famous and get your name in the Science Books  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Or he could simply introduce Maine to the wide, wonderful world of grits. I mean, come on, even potatoes had a hard time catching on when they were first introduced.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

He could be a Grits Pioneer.

SwampDonkey

Potatoes never had a hard time catching on, it kept a country from starving to death and encourage a population boom. And to demonstrate the importance of the tuber it did the reverse and darn near starved them to death when they couldn't grow enough because of the blight. As with Idaho, a number of varieties have been developed right here in NB so those fellas get a little L, Boil, Bake or Mash on the end. :D ;D

Well look at the authors of a common mensuration text. Husch, Miller and Beers, almost eh? ;)  Now I think Kershaw is one of the authors of the updated version, whom OneWithWood has met and took on tour of his woodlot. Just a little trivia. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Shrimp grits and Bananas Foster, that's what I like about the south.

Oh, and some branch water.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Okrafarmer

Wikipedia (which is not always right) says:

The potato was slow to be adopted by distrustful European farmers, but soon enough it became an important food staple and field crop that played a major role in the European 19th century population boom.

Sourced from footnote 7 under potato.

The account I heard was this one. I wish I had the source for it. The man who introduced potatoes to England had a very hard time getting people to like them, or be willing to even try them. (Probably a lot of thecfarm's relatives). He finally settled on a different marketing approach. He hired armed guards to stand over his potato field by day. He made sure everyone knew they were there, and he would take whomever he wanted to impress out to his potato field and show them the potatoes (and the guards). He made sure the information got around town that the guards were only employed during the day. After a few days of this, he returned in the morning to find that someone had stolen some of his potatoes during the night. He said, "Now I know I can sell potatoes, if people have gotten to the point where they will steal them!"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

isawlogs

Ah the guard trick, Ray keep that in mind if you ever go south and you see a pile of that stuff being guarded , its a ruse don't fall for it. BEWARE of the GR..ts guard.  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

If Cfarm or anyone else comes down from Maine, PLEASE bring me a new stash of Moxie. I'm in some serious withdrawal. On second thought, bring some maple syrup, too, I'm almost out. I'll treat you to some grits and gravy, with okra.  ;D And teach you about this substance they have down here known as barbecue. In Maine barbecue is either a verb or an event. Not a substance.  ;D

thecfarm

I will gladly bring you all the Moxie there is in Maine. I like that stuff about as much as I like g...s. Barbecue takes on it's own life here on Gordon Hill. The meat is just a cooking. But if you want any veggies cooked with them,better bring your own grill. Don't want that green stuff to get to close to my meat and contaminate it.

Okrafarmer

Cfarm, what do you think of when you hear the word barbecue? Just curious.

Anyway, if you bring me enough Moxie, I will do my best to shield you from grits and okra while you are in my state. So come on down. I will take you to a place that serves barbecue (many of those to choose from) and I think you will like the meat that is the primary ingredient of barbecue.  ;D

Now, let's see. What was this thread about?

thecfarm

Barbecue,MEAT and lots of it. Hamburgers,steak,sausage,maybe hot dogs,not a big hot dog eater.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on October 25, 2012, 08:59:40 AM
Barbecue,MEAT and lots of it. Hamburgers,steak,sausage,maybe hot dogs,not a big hot dog eater.

That's what people in Maine think of when they hear the word barbecue. When I came down here, and people were going crazy asking me if I wanted SOME barbecue, I was like, how is that possible? I would like to go to a barbecue, where we might barbecue some things.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
When I came down here, and people were going crazy asking me if I wanted SOME barbecue, I was like, how is that possible? I would like to go to a barbecue, where we might barbecue some things.

I'm glad we've been able to set you straight. Now, would you like some barbecue? :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

What we think of here is the process or the sauce, not meat. Because there is a whole host of meat that is BBQ'ed and vegetables. Taters is one. MMM a steak and a baked gold rush tater for dinner, for starters anyway. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Red Clay Hound

I went to a conference in Green Bay a few years ago and on the program for the first evening they were going to have barbecue. digin1  My travelling companions and I were discussing beforehand and wondering what kind of barbecue we were going to have (pulled pork, sliced pork, beef brisket?).  We were quite disappointed when we discovered that the "barbecue" was in fact hamburgers!  no_no

But the "fish boil" we had later in the week was another story altogether. ??? ???  Fortunately, my Wisconsin brethren made up for it with plenty of brats, cheese curds and beer. smiley_beertoast
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

isawlogs

Ae you saying that if someone offers a barbecue, you're gettin' a hamburger  ???  My my , what edcucation they need.  ::)   ;D   Barbecue is the thing ya put da MEAT on ta be cooked.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

Sounds to me like SwampDonkey and isawlogs need to be indoctrinated as well!

Let's review:

Rule #1:
Barbecue is the meat. Usually it's pork - a whole hog, a pork shoulder, or pork ribs - but it can be beef brisket if you're in Texas or alternatively, chicken (usually chicken halves, skin-on), throughout the South. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, pork chops, etc. are not barbecue.

Rule #2:
Barbecue sauce is what you put on the meat. You can make it lots of ways, but if you can't taste the vinegar, it's not barbecue sauce.

Rule #3:
The apparatus on which the meat is cooked is called a grill or a smoker.

Enough for now. Discuss amongst yourselves. ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Marcel, we've been BBQ'ed. Nope I'm staying north. :D :D :D :D

Red Clay Hound

Barbecue can also be a verb to describe the process of slow-cooking the meat, but never a noun to describe the apparatus for cooking said meat.  A proper use of barbecue as a verb might be...  "Leroy done kilt him a wild hawg.  Let's barbecue that sucker!  I betcha he'll taste good enuff to make you slap yer Granny!"
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

SwampDonkey

Go fire up the BBQ, a noun for ya. :D  Webster's first definition is "originally, a raised framework for smoking, drying, or broiling meat". It can be noun, adjective,  or transitive verb. ;D

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 25, 2012, 05:50:24 PM
Go fire up the BBQ, a noun for ya. :D  Webster's first definition is "originally, a raised framework for smoking, drying, or broiling meat". It can be noun, adjective,  or transitive verb. ;D

Noah Webster was from Connecticut.  He didn't know any better. :D :D
Besides, I would never fire up my barbecue - it might burn!  I prefer to cook mine slowly. digin_2

Okrafarmer

Here in South Carolina, the substance known as barbecue seems to almost always be pulled pork barbecue-- which is like taking the barbecued pork meat and shredding it up into strips and saturating it in barbecue sauce. (of various types, depending who is cooking it). Frankly, I'd rather have a steak or a sausage or even a really good cheeseburger (with real cheese, not that gummy mass-produced junk).

Thank You Sponsors!