iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squashed 046

Started by KyLogger, October 19, 2012, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

One of the workhands left my partners 046 behind the dozer...........I got on dozer...............and you guessed the rest.  Anyway the crankcase is gone but I have a 044 with a blown piston and jug, his is still good. Anyway we can build a "Frankensaw" outta the two??? My only concern is the jug and piston from the 046 fittin on my 044....

Thanks,

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Al_Smith

I never smashed a saw but I did back a D4 Cat over a tool box once .Still have the dozer and the box flat as it is and the tools are still in it .So much for that .

You always have options .One is landing a junker from flea bay and taking the good parts and making another saw from them.I've done so several times but not from a dozer squashed saw .Fact the last deal was a Stihl Bg 85 blower that lost a fight to a bucket truck .Residing in my shed as I type runs real good as a matter of fact .

tlandrum

yes you can put the 046 p/c onto the 044 with a little bit of work. i have done many of them for guys and ported them . they make a sweet saw.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

KyLogger

What all is involved with the "little bit of work" you mentioned ;D

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

AdkStihl

You have to slot the 046/460 base bolt holes slightly outward. Not a big deal if you have a Dremel or a round file. Just use an 044/440 base gasket for your grinding template.
J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

There are a few other small clearance issues will you encounter.

PM sent
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

So evidently then it's much akin to slapping an 038 Mag cylinder on a 038AV .Which makes it another 038 Mag so to speak .--or an 036 cylinder on an 034 which essentually makes it an 036 .

Just thinking out loud although I've heard of it being done on an 038 and thought about it myself it just seemed more simple to get a mag to begin with .My thing was the fear the cylinder could "walk " . Which would not be good .

My thoughts are if you hang in there long enough an 046/460 a crankcase will show up .Stick a P and C on the 044 and use it ,not a bad saw in itself .

terrifictimbersllc

Feeling your pain.  >:( >:( >:(  My MS460 got squashed by a 2 ton log last week.  :o :o :o   I have a new one now and am feeling better.   8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 22, 2012, 01:07:08 PM
My thing was the fear the cylinder could "walk " . Which would not be good .

The cylinder extensions should not allow it to walk. An 044/046 hybrid is a highly regarded piece of equipment. I would post pics / build thread links here to another site, but I have a feeling thats not a good practice. I own (2) older 10mm 044's that are extremely good runners. ( ;D) If I had a 12mm 044 you could bet it would be wearing an OEM 046 top end.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Well yeah I'm not saying it won't work by any means but more so I felt some worry it could walk .Same as I did on the 038 Mag cylinder on an 038 av model which I have several of both models .

Now granted I personally have the means to use a milling machine to get the job done .It's just I felt the methods didn't justify the end results .

drobertson

Have you ever noticed that most bad things happen when backing up?  Why is this? It almost never fails,  Kinda like someone, (the boys) parking behind a rig and the driver not looking, or expecting anything there?  It happens.  good luck with the rebuild.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

#1 rule in my truck,  don't back up an inch more than I have to.  Has saved me so far, mostly.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Al_Smith

Oh the amount of stuff that gets squashed every  year is amazing .Things happen .Hardware you can replace ,people you can't .

AdkStihl

Wow.....a relic of a thread. Learned a lot since.
I managed to aquire an early angled fin 12mm saw in excellent cosmetic shape with a bad piston.
Also managed to aquire a ported OEM 52mm cylinder to put on it.

1) must match base bolt pattern on 046 cylinder to match 044 base. You will need to slot the holes INWARD.

2) must clearance flywheel side of 046 cylinder to clear flywheel fins. Small area on transfer bulge.
Must also clearance the FW & PTO side of 046 cylinder to fit the 044 crankcase.

3) must make spacer bushings for 2 lower exhaust bolts as the 046 cylinder is obviously a tad bigger
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Some of these "freakenstiens" are not a simple bolt on as some might suspect .I've never done the 044/046 nor 038AV/038 mag .I have done the 034/036 .

I think although possible each one has is own problems  which must be adapted .

sawn4fun

I wonder what the squish measures out on a squashed 046.

Al_Smith

Depends on what squashed it I suppose .A 450 John Deere would probably bend it like a pretzil but a D9 Cat would mash it like a pancake .Recyled to beer cans after that or for tea totalers some soft drink perhaps .

Compensation

Quote from: drobertson on November 02, 2012, 06:24:26 PM
Have you ever noticed that most bad things happen when backing up?

Backed over my ms390 with a firewood loaded powerstroke. That was 4 hours after I bought it hahaha
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

LeeB

I don't suppose that was covered under warrenty?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!