iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what would you do with 10k bd ft of cherry?

Started by Compensation, October 19, 2012, 10:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I have about 30 cherry trees to drop. Dad doesn't want them around the horses. Smallest tree is about 20" up to about 36". I just don't know what to use it for or how to cut it. I thought about turning a few into 2x then some random 4x and 3x then the rest 1x incase i want to put cherry flooring down.

What would you do with it?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Jeff

If those dimensions are DBH and not circumference, I'd be looking for a buyer for the trees.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

DBH = diameter at breast height, which is a point 4½' above the ground.  I'd have someone take a look at them if they are that big.  Veneer prices can fetch quite a bit, and you will never be able to get more than what a veneer log will bring. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

If there ever was a real need to get a Forester involved, this could be just that one.  Sounds like these trees could be great stuff, but then all cherry isn't great either.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

A lot of veneer buyers want a minimum ring per inch count. The one I talked to said 7 rings per inch for cherry. The log I was thinkin might be veneer had two to three, so I made it into lumber, all 1 1/8 thick. I haven't had much luck drying anything very thick. About 6/4 is as thick as I like to cut.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sealark37

If you choose to mill it yourself, you will get more useable lumber if you go with 1 and 1/8" boards.  Saw around the pith, as it will invariably split.  Most experienced woodworkers prefer to glue up thicker components.  Take the time to trim and edge the slabs, as people will buy shorts.  If you air dry, be very particular with the stickering and shelter.  Whether you offer it for sale green or air-dried, be prepared for your customers who will want to sort through the stack and high-grade their purchase.  For this reason, price the lumber to your favor.  Good cherry is expensive to buy from the retail and wholesale outlets.  Quarter sawn cherry does not light up their eyes like quarter sawn oak.  You need a fork lift to avoid killing yourself on that quantity of cherry.  After the first sale, the word will get around, and the phone will start ringing.  Regards, Clark

Compensation

Just to add a little info, i always measure chest high and subtract about 3". I measure diameter. I own a woodmizer and a kiln. I like woodworking and plan on making a business out of it. I also have no idea how to find a good buyer. In the timber business around here there is alot of crooks paying next to nothing. These trees for the majority are straight with no branches for 30 feet from the ground. What would it be worth for a heart wood 24"di. And 8, 10, 12, .....24 ft long? These trees have to go before next fall. Free to me.

Thank you
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

westyswoods

If you have to next fall, take your time do the homework and be careful about hollow promises. Sounds very promising for you.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Compensation

Maybe not heartwood, just 24" minus the bark

WDH

I would saw it in a variety of thicknesses, air dry it, and sell it to woodworkers.  But then again, that is what I do  :)

I can get $3.00 per BF for the 4/4 if the boards are not pith cracked and $4.50 - $5.00 for 8/4.  However, it is really hard to get down where I am, and it might be a dime a dozen where you are located from the standpoint of selling it to woodworkers.  You have to do some research.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Handymark

There are two veneer mills in Edinburg IN . Amos Hill and David Webb. Google them and give them a call. They will have a buyer come out and look at what you have. By the looks of your map I will be just up the road from you tomorrow evening visiting friends in Springville. Good luck.

Okrafarmer

Definitely don't go out and cut any of them until you feel good about a plan. As long as they are healthy, there isn't a rush to cut them until you are good and ready. I wish we had cherry like that here. I feel blessed to get a straight cherry log 6' long and 16" diameter.

Definitely look into the veneer buyers, look into finding a good forester, etc. If even ¼ of them are veneer quality, it will make a huge difference to what you receive.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Compensation

Yeah it sells for $1 a bdft here

I will keep a few for me if i do sell them. Springville huh? I use to own 1600 acres there. on as you hit 58 off of 54 i think, you will see trees on both sides of the road. From there on for a ways. Miss that place...alot!

Will the buyer have to see them standing or dropped?

Ron Wenrich

A buyer can give you an idea if you have veneer value in a standing tree, but he won't guarantee it until he sees it on the ground.  I'm going to assume you are doing the logging. 

The way we do it is to bring the logs in in long lengths, up to 24'.  Don't ever buck logs at less than 8' if you plan to sell veneer.  Then we spread them out in our log yard for the log buyer to inspect.  They tell us which ones they can use, and where to buck them.  It gets the most money out of the logs.   

What ever is left over, you can mill or possible sell the logs to a local mill.  Sometimes turning logs into cash is better than trying to mill the lumber and finding a market later on.  You can get a lot of money tied up in inventory. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Satamax

I did a little quick and rough calculation, if top grade the whole lot air dried, cut into 1x would raise a good 50000€ easily over here.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Okrafarmer

So maybe you need to find a buyer in Europe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Handymark

I am going by what a neighbor told me about his experience with the local veneer buyers. They will look at standing trees with no guarantees as stated above. Once the trees are down they will come out and tag what they want and you get paid when the logs hit their lot. You will know before they leave what they want and how much they will pay. You will do best to leave them tree length and let the buyer mark your cuts. 

Thank You Sponsors!