iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska: The Last Frontier

Started by Jeff, October 19, 2012, 10:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This is another one of the reality shows on the Discovery Channel. I've been watching it, and was pretty much entertained by it, but there was an episode this past week that sort of ruined it for me simply because of a lie I saw, that clearly written into the show by the producers to "add" to the segment.  Also, I learned something interesting as a side note about the show that I did not know while trying to find a way to complain about what I saw to the producers. I never found a way to complain.

The show is about the Kilcher family who live on a 600 acre homestead in an isolated area near Homer Alaska. The thing I found interesting was, that one of the Kilcher Brothers, Atz Kilcher, is singer Jewel's father. Jewel has no part in the show, other than she helps her father sing the shows theme song.

Anyhow, the show I was watching was revolving around the need to build a new chicken coop by one of Ats's nephews. Eiven Klicher.  Eiven first went out and Cut down some dead spruce trees to saw on the family's homemade sawmill. This is what caught my interest. When they got to the sawmill scene, I thought to myself, that aint a homemade sawmill, and at that point the narrator says again, that the sawmill was home fabricated by Otto Kilcher, Eiven's father, using a discarded car engine for power. I'm watching thinking to myself, well, I suppose its POSSIBLE that it just happens to look like a manufactured sawmill. At that point Eiven breaks a belt and has to tear the sawmill apart to replace the belt. His father Otto comes along and gives him a little advice on it, then carries on with what he was doing. Eiven gets the sawmill put together and commences sawing. At the end of the cut, as the mill head is returning, there is was, big as day on the end of the mill. The manufacturers tag that said clearly "Mobile Dimension Manufacturing"

Not once did you here anyone of the Kilchers call the mill homemade or even allude to it, but the narrator made a big deal about it, and it was clearly, to anyone that knows, and out and out lie, and a lie made for no reason as the segment was interesting enough if they had simply been truthful, or not mentioned the origin of the mill at all.  I'll still watch the show, as it really is interesting to show how the families spend 4 months a year growing their own food, raising livestock and hunting to get through 8 months of winter.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Sort of like the Show Mountain Men where they are trying to tell you a circle sawmill was being run solely off a 4inch water hose and there's a big genny in the back ground.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doctorb

Jeff -
I am anything but surprised.  As you know that I have friends who work in the network TV business, and he tells me about and points out instances where the vast majority of the reality shows are often scripted for effect.  You, and many on the FF, follow the "Survivor" series becasue you find it entertaining.  An example of how things are scripted for you in Survivor is this....

Do you recall an episode many years ago that one of the contestants tried to keep a fire going by blowing and blowing on the coals?  He hyperventilated, passed out, and fell into the fire, burning his hands.   He then jumped up, looked at his hands with some burned skin hanging off, and ran to the water (ocean, lake, river...I don't remember) to cool them off.  What the casual viewer (including me) wouldn't recognize  is that there was a separate camara shot of this accident taken a great distance from the fire that captured the contestants sprint to the water from a side view.  Do you really think they just happened to have these multiple camera crews up and running when this accident happened?  Do you think they film 24/7?

The episode you recounted concerning the sawmill is exactly the same type of hype.  Does the average viewer have your knowledge about sawmills?  Certainly not.  They just want to make the reality of the show super-real for entertainments sake.  This is simply a case of the viewer being observant and knowing too much.  There are not enough viewers with that combination of knowledge and brains for them to not exaggerate what happens.  If you did get through the producers might just say that the family rebuilt a discarded mill, who knows.

So you accept the ruse as part of the entertainment in Survivor, and you are indignant regarding the misrepresentation of the sawmill in Alaska.   :D :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

It didn't take an Einstein to see the bug manufactured by brass tag on the mill, but you are right, most people would never had been alert to it.  Like I said, I'll keep watching for the entertainment value it offers.

That burnt guy is back on the current survivor show.

doctorb

Did they show a few replays of his accident?  Did they select him again because his first stint resulted in a trip to the hospital?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Raider Bill

A local Lady contestant "Monica" from the last series of Survivor said that they are filmed 24-7 and only have privacy for potty runs otherwise there are cameras everywhere. I dunno......

Jeff

That was my understanding on the recording. Its not like the old film days.

metalspinner

They are TV people and don't know their head from their ...:-X

The folks starring in the show probably said something like "I'm gonna make some homemade lumber on my sawmill." By the time it got to editing room and time for overdubbing the quote turned into "homemade sawmill." The starring cast is probably just as frustrated as you, Jeff.

The most surprising thing is that the producers allowed a brand to be shown on air.  Usually that is blurred out unless the brand is a contributing advertiser to the show.

I've mentioned before that my wife works for a television company selling advertising. I've been the "talent" on a couple of programs.  One of these programs was on how to use a block plane. So I show up the day of the shoot with my Veritas blockplane and spend all day going through the paces of shooting the program. Weeks later someone in the sales division was viewing the show with a sponsering advertiser and the adveriser noticed the Veritas block plane - which is not sold in their stores. :o :D :D :D

The whole thing had to be shot again. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

doctorb

There is so much more than just saying the cameras are going 24/7.  Somebody has to be pointing and focusing the camera.  There's activity in a bunch of different locations that is simultaneous.  How many cameras do you think they take to Borneo?  Do you think that the camera guys just pick out something or somebody of interest to film it on their own?  That decision takes a director, and that takes planning.  While the script may be fairly loose, and the dialog spontaneous, the activities are scheduled.  I am not a conspiracy theorist, but if you think that guy accidentally fell into the fire with two cameras filming him live, without prior planning of the event, then I've got a Mackinaw bridge that's for sale.  Ask yourself why all the camera angles display the action so well.  If it was live, then the camera would have to be filming from the wrong spot a percentage of the time, like behind a person or a tree, when something important happened.  You never see that, do you?  I wonder why? ;)

Do not begin to kid yourself that this is random photography of continuos disconnected unscripted events.  It can not be.

I am not trying to ruin the entertainment value of Survivor or any other reality show, so don't be callin' me no wet blanket!  It was Jeff's atempt at correcting the directors of the Alaska show that prompted my response.  I am not trying to rain on your parade.  Have fun!.

Raider Bill

Dunno myself, just what she said during a local interview.

I found this but again don't know. I'd hate to think that RC has been augmented :D

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26726792/ns/today-entertainment/t/last-secrets-survivor-revealed/#.UIGfUIa8h4w

Mooseherder

We DVR that series also and I thought the same thing about the mobile dimension Saw when he said that but thought he may have meant he changed the motor or something to that effect.
Otto may have told the Producers he had pieced it together from other scrap to keep it going and they took it as he built it?
I didn't  know that was Jewel's dad.  I always thought that she had been homeless at some point living in a car with her mom?
I watched the episode last night of them moving the cattle to the head of the bay.  It was a good episode.  Atz's son Jr. Lives hand to mouth but appears to be growing into his role as a provider.  I think he had a rough winter from lack of preparation and has a new fire driving him.

Autocar

I didn't have to wait to see the tag on that Mobile Dimension, it's to bad that no one seems to tell the truth anymore  :(. I turned it and thats it with that show for me, the only good show that was ever on was Bobby Goodson Swamp Loggers. But he was to straight and won't make a fool out of himself or his help and they ended it from what I hear. We all see the direction this country is going I sure hope we wake up soon !
Bill

beenthere

I think much alike the Doctorb.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnM

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 19, 2012, 03:18:05 PM
I didn't  know that was Jewel's dad.  I always thought that she had been homeless at some point living in a car with her mom?

No one said he was a good dad... ;D

We had friends that were selected to be interviewed by independent film crews, that forward the stories to the shows producers from what I gathered, to be on Extreme Home Makeover.  This was summer '11 (or '10?) pre-cancelation.  The crew interviewed my wife and basically tried to get her to cry/get emotional while telling our friends story.  Even saying that our friends may lose the house...news to us! :o  They wanted (needed?) a sob story real or imagined.  I never liked the show to begin with but this sold me on the opinion that it's mostly a bunch of bunk.  Not to mention, as a carpenter I'd like to see how those houses, built in a weeks time, hold up after 5-10yrs let alone 20+.

I'm not saying they didn't help some people out that needed it, I'm sure they did, but I think that was more a by-product rather than the goal.  Which rings hollow to me.

That being said...

My family and I are huge Survivor fans and we all sit down and watch it weekly.  I even went so far as to fill out an app but I never got around to sending it in and with baby #3 here not sure that will get crossed off the bucket list. :-\  And while I'm sure they 're-shoot' scenes and whatever else we'll keep watching.  'Reality' TV with a grain of salt, you might say.  So I hate to say it DoctorB, but I'm voting you off the island! >:( ;) ;D :D

JM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

doctorb

Mooseherder

Amazingly you can still learn a few things with these shows so all is not lost.
For some who find them entertaining,  it makes the world go round.
For me, I'll take more of this type of programming over most anything else on.
I think networks are realizing the cost benefits of not having to produce character shows with canned laughter and the current trend of showing life characters will continue for some time. 
Take the Gold Rush show for instance.  You may not like all whiner parts or segments but you sure know more about Gold Mining because of it.  That show starts next week. ;D

SwampDonkey

I couldn't get through the first Survivor or any of the others of it's kind way back in the first season. I just can't watch those kind of shows and find no entertainment in it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: JohnM on October 19, 2012, 05:10:42 PM
Quote from: Mooseherder on October 19, 2012, 03:18:05 PM

No one said he was a good dad... ;D

We had friends that were selected to be interviewed by independent film crews, that forward the stories to the shows producers from what I gathered, to be on Extreme Home Makeover.  This was summer '11 (or '10?) pre-cancelation.  The crew interviewed my wife and basically tried to get her to cry/get emotional while telling our friends story.  Even saying that our friends may lose the house...news to us! :o  They wanted (needed?) a sob story real or imagined.  I never liked the show to begin with but this sold me on the opinion that it's mostly a bunch of bunk.  Not to mention, as a carpenter I'd like to see how those houses, built in a weeks time, hold up after 5-10yrs let alone 20+.

I'm not saying they didn't help some people out that needed it, I'm sure they did, but I think that was more a by-product rather than the goal.  Which rings hollow to me.

That being said...

My family and I are huge Survivor fans and we all sit down and watch it weekly.  I even went so far as to fill out an app but I never got around to sending it in and with baby #3 here not sure that will get crossed off the bucket list. :-\  And while I'm sure they 're-shoot' scenes and whatever else we'll keep watching.  'Reality' TV with a grain of salt, you might say.  So I hate to say it DoctorB, but I'm voting you off the island! >:( ;) ;D :D

JM

Wait a minute John, Ol Doc seems like a good enough guy even if he thinks a bit strange plus he has a decent trade and all. Maybe we should send him to redemption island.? :D :D

SPIKER

I like the "Constructive Type" shows but the survivor types games show I dont like those. Gross Factor or Survive on island in a big group or live in a house w morons are all waste of time to me.

Gold Rush series have been pretty good I figured 2nd season someone would hit it big or end of first to keep crowd entertained but looks like this season (man 3 years worth already?)   The Alaska dredging  guys under the ice was pretty good.  Survivor man was OK at first but that got old same with the two guys together Cody & ?

I do love deadliest Catch watching show since it was NEW :o  ::)   Sad when Phil passed & his boys not living up to much like so many of today's youth...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Mooseherder

Yeah, I don't watch moron house or gross factor either.
I do have an Asst. Meat Manager that wears Jersey Shore boy spike straight up hairdo that is as useless as the show. :D
The really sad part is those boys are his heros.

doctorb

I would say we've got different strokes for different folks here of the FF!

chain

Was hoping someone would give their opinion on "ice road truckers".................................................
...........................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....just gave mine.

doctorb

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 19, 2012, 05:57:53 PM
Ol Doc seems like a good enough guy even if he thinks a bit strange

Pot calling the kettle black....takes one to know one.....he who smelt it dealt it.....birds of a feather......
Need I go on? :D :D 8)

WDH

I think that the Doc is well intended.  I agree Bill, lets send him to Redemption Island and give him a second chance  ;D.

I have watched a few of the Alaska Frontier shows and find them interesting because that whole environment and lifestyle is so different.  I learn some things.  A person should always keep learning.  A reasonably intelligent person should be able to see through the Producer BS and not let the TV Gurus ruin what can be good information.  Ignorance is not bliss.  I don't live that close to the land, but that was my spirit when I was younger and I could see myself living like that.

Another Reality/Competition show that I like is Chopped on the Food Network.  It is interesting to see the creativity under pressure, and again, I learn things that make me a better cook (I like to cook).  I also relish public TV, have contributed for over 35 years, and really love Nova and many of the documentaries.  I learn stuff. 

I never ever watch SitComs.  We are all different, and that is what makes the World go around.  If we were all the same, we would just be Comrades.  Free will is a wonderful thing.  The freedom to do or not do or say in a situation.  In fact, the freedom to chose how to behave and react is in fact the Ultimate Freedom.  Maybe we could make a show about that and all get rich  :)

Plus, "Identifying Trees with WDH" would be too boring and nobody but Swampdonkey, Dodgyloner, and Okrafarmer would watch it, and they would just be critics  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on October 19, 2012, 10:20:58 PM

Plus, "Identifying Trees with WDH" 
Sounds like a great nap starter...  :D :D
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!