iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now what--- am I supposed to do with this???

Started by Okrafarmer, October 17, 2012, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I just got an email from somebody today, inquiring about hiring my services.

Keep in mind, all the machinery I have immediately available to me is the LT-40, chainsaws, a Bobcat, and some various trucks and trailers. I could reasonably get access to a regular old skill saw, table saw, and so on. . . .

Also look at the lack of information. . . .

I left a polite message on his phone, and sent him a lengthy reply asking for more information.

Here is the message he sent me at the beginning, now you tell me what I have on my hands! I don't even have room to put this much lumber under cover while I work my way through it!

"I am considering purchasing some materials that I would want milled.

(1) 23 timbers about 14" to 16" in dia. I would want them split in half and then cut so that there was 1 ½" flat on top and bottom of each. I would end up with 46 timbers with one face rough cut flat, one face un cut and round and the top/bottom cut with a 1 ½" flat.

(2) I have about 6,500 bf of rough sawn poplar and yellow pine. Thickness range from 1" to 2". Cost to resaw all to 7/8"?

I may want to also (rip) size these so I end up with only a few sizes such as 7/8 X 4", 7/8 X 6" and 7/8" by 8". I need to confirm what is there now.

(3) I have about 6,500 bf of mizer mill sawn hemlock. Thickness range from 1" to 2". Cost to resaw all to 7/8"?

I may want to also (rip) size these so I end up with only a few sizes such as 7/8 X 4", 7/8 X 6" and 7/8" by 8". I need to confirm what is there now.

Assume I would bring the material to you and you would have to off load. I would pick up in probably 6 smaller loads and ask for your help in loading.

Thank you."

???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Note-- the amount of lumber he is talking about is probably a similar amount to the total amount of lumber I have ever milled in my life--

Note-- Buzzing existing lumber to 7/8" on the Woodmizer is within a whisker of cutting the mill--

What makes me think all this lumber will lie flat enough for me to resaw it?

How exacting will I need to be to rip these boards, standing them on edge on the WM. . . ?

Not that for the half-round timbers, he never said how long they need to be, and I'm not sure whether he wants to buy them from me or provide them for me to mill. . . .

Know how hard it is to find 23 logs about the same size when you need them and don't have a large volume of logs coming in?

:(  ::)  ???  :P  :-[  :-X :-\  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Jeff

Anything 1 inch would be best planed to size, and 2" center split and planed. Width cut should be on an edger
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on October 17, 2012, 10:40:44 PM
Anything 1 inch would be best planed to size, and 2" center split and planed. Width cut should be on an edger

That's what I was thinking, Jeff. I can handle the center splitting of the 2" stuff, but I don't have a planer or an edger. Yet. Maybe this job would be big enough to justify getting an edger. . . .

I have people who may be able to do the planing for me, but I've never hit them up with a job anything like this big before, not sure whether they could handle it.

barbender

Okra- do a search on the Arky Resaw. Instead of trying to clamp and saw each board, you fix a thos jig on the mill and push the boards through. It takes 2 people. I used this method to resaw my pine siding, it is slick. The only thing I would change is to make a different type of hold down. The feather boards don't work with varying board thickness, I was thinking some type of weighted or spring tensioned wheel.
Too many irons in the fire

tcsmpsi

Well, you know what you can do, what you can't.   Where is he from you?  You can't make any real determinations until you see what you're working with.  That's a lot of cutting and handling.  Jig on the mill to raise your boards to more comfortably cut to 7/8 is not difficult.  I didn't see any lengths mentioned.(?) 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim Looks like you have a cut list for a cabin Mate  ;) ;D ;D with the Wall logs what lengths and species does he want H/wood or Pine hand peeled  ??? Assuming 20's theres about 18-19 ton of log and about 5000+ bft in it and if you are buying the logs you could charge him about  $5 or $6 grand there for those easy  ;)

Resawing you could either warrant a resaw attachment or build an Arky special or your own based on a 10 to 12' length of roller bed with a good positive hold down system  as its pretty easy to hand feed a band resaw  ;) And your going to need a planer of sorts even just a heavy single sider for a start Looks like I just picked up an old Jonsered 12x4" 5 head with updated 3ph electric drive n starters and 14"x 26' outfeed belt for $2k its a pretty tidy lookin ole beast but itl run at 100'+ a min in whatever you throw at it  ;) ;D

as Jeff said dress the 1"by and split then plane the 2"by. just warn him that there will likely be some skip in one face  ;)

With the info givin could well be $10 or $12k in the job by my reckoning I would go have a look at the timber first and go from there just state you will need to get the rite tools for the job and require a 50% or 60% dep to do it for him its how I have gotten a good bit of gear in the past Mate  ;)  ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

drobertson

I agree with Chris, go get a look at what is really is, tally it up, then get a deposit, for sure.  Good Luck brother
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Trying to resaw on a bandmill in that quantity seems like a nightmare waiting to become reality  :).  Discretion is the better part of valor.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

If I did resaw on the bandmill, it would be by means of gang resaw. I could easily stand up 10 or more boards of that thickness and hit them all in one pass.

Anyhow, I think this is one of those jobs that I will spend a considerable amount of time figuring and sweating on the estimate, and then the price tag will make him decide it's not worth it.  >:(

I believe  :) ;) :D ;D MM has a great point, I need to see the 13,000 bf of lumber before I commit to a price, definitely good advice.

Now, why on earth would somebody need that much lumber to be EXACTLY 7/8 inch, when a lot of it is already 1 inch? And he is not even asking for it to be planed, it's just that planing it would be the easiest way to insure the right thickness.

Meadows Miller

worst is when you rock up and thay have had it block packed for years  (I hate seeing any timber go to waste)  :( ??? :) ::) and then you have to tell them that they have to start from scratch again which is good for you but not for them has he had it sticked out  Mate ???

paul case

Jim,
I think Jeff is rght about the 1'' to 7/8'' cutting. That is a booger and rarely ends up with what you really want. That is unless you like sawdust thrown exactly at you.  The edging could be done on the mill fairly acurately. Old boards may need edged on both sides, more handling. I am thinking with as much odd stuff and extra handling  by the hour would be the way to price it. Make sure he understands it will cost him time for bundling and extra handling.
Dont let the size of the job worry you unless he sets a deadline. You probably will get through it faster than you think. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kansas

This really begs for a regular resaw. Skim a little off one side and run it all through, then hit it one more pass for the finished thickness on the other side.  8 inch is starting to push the limit on most resaws. I would find out for sure if he is going to cut to width. The cutting to width can certainly be done on a bandmill. But I would not try to cut them thickness wise on a bandmill. Not where its dry lumber. As far as being under cover, might be if he brings it in in 6 loads, he can just take the finished lumber one load at a time, and bring a new load.

Resaws aren't that expensive these days. Find a decent used one, this job might well pay for one. Only problem is, they tend to be three phase. Imagine there are some gas ones out there, however.

And don't look now, but there is a massive sawmill equipment auction taking place this weekend somewhere over in your neck of the world. You might be able to get one on the cheap. I wouldn't trust these people any farther than I could throw them, but that doesn't mean you can't find a bargain.

pineywoods

If you can find one, go look at a woodmizer re-saw. Works good on an lt40 and it's designed to do just that kind of job. By the hour, there's a lot of board handling..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jim H

I have a woodmizer resaw attachment, and have done jobs like this in the past. You need to find out how uniform the 7/8" boards need to be, if he is doing a very rustic paneling with square edge boards he may be happy with what comes off the resaw, otherwise the method Jeff outlined would work best. He also needs to realize that any taper in the half round timbers will make the 1 1/2" flat spot vary in width down the log. If possible I would do this at his site. That solves the covered storage problem, and there's a better chance for him to see any issues, so you can try to resolve them early on. Hope this helps, Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You can do this Okra. Just don't get in a hurry. When I first started, I had more in time than what I got paid......but I sure learned a lot. What you learn on this job, will be positive and you'll always remember it.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Overlength

You shed of built a bigger shed. :) around here they charge about $200 mbf to resaw. Guy probably wants some rustic paneling. Sounds like time to get some more toys. Resaw, Planer, gang rip. Could resaw, then run one face thru planer to even out. Have one rough side.
Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

Okrafarmer

I meant to post this this morning, and didn't.

Yes, I wouldn't try resawing 1" to 7/8" on the Woodmizer. That's pretty much a non-starter. Would have to plane it down.

He emailed and said he will call me later today. . . . By his area code, I have a feeling he doesn't live real nearby. Could be rough going to look at it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 18, 2012, 08:19:44 PM

. . . By his area code, I have a feeling he doesn't live real nearby. Could be rough going to look at it.

I hope his area code ISN'T 803. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Ok, he sent me an email reply to my detailed questions. he wants it done by early December, and he has or will supply the logs to be cut half round, and he is ok with doing it all on his site, the current lumber "has been air drying for two years" and he is ok with either resawing or planing, which ever makes more sense. The tolerances do not have to be exact. The half-round logs will be 20' long. He is building a house, as might have been guessed, and he is in Polk County, NC.

Is anyone interested in scooping this from me, for a finder's fee, or going in with me on it? If you are interested, I can email you his reply to the questions I asked him, so you can get a more accurate idea. It seems like a very legitimate job, but it is a bit over my head at this time. I really don't even know how to estimate it since there are so many elements and tools that would be new to me.

Okrafarmer

The more I look at it, the more I think I could do this, so I sent him back a reply. It would be hourly, so it shouldn't be too bad. I told him that, if he doesn't need the 1" taken down to 7/8, then it will really make things easier. In which case, if he helps me or provides a helper, I expect it to take around 4-5 days. Don't know what he'll think of it, but we'll see.

Today, Angel and I fixed the log rests on the Woodmizer so that they are now at 90° instead of about 95°. (I exaggerate, but not much). Actually one of them is now at about 91°, because that's all the adjustment there was left. But it's a lot better. Angel also dug into my non-operational toe-boards problem and found what was wrong (a relay, I think he said, or some such thing) which he ordered from WM and that ought to be here next week so I'll have operational toe-boards at last.

I could have used them tomorrow, though, as I am expecting to do my first custom work on the WM tomorrow, when a guy brings me a bunch of antique  firewood and expects me to make beautiful lumber out of it. I already saw the logs.  :-\ Definitely an hourly endeavor. I won't be needing the Bobcat for this one, I can lift every one of these logs off his trailer by hand.  :-\  Oy.

He's bringing them to me. I don't charge a minimum for my hourly milling when it comes to me.

Ga Mtn Man

Now that's the can-do Okra we know and love. smiley_thumbsup

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on October 18, 2012, 11:38:57 PM
Now that's the can-do Okra we know and love. smiley_thumbsup

See what happens when you take the T outa Can't  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Itt'l be fine Jim  ;) and hoy  ;) you will get those ones too Iyiyiyiyiyiyi thats what i say when you have people bring em in just do it wiht a smile mate  ;) :D ;D ;D

Regards Chris

Okrafarmer

Cant is a noun, not a verb.

I always tell my cubs, "Don't say I can't, say, I haven't figured out how yet." Sometimes I just have to take my own advice.  ;D

loggah

Sounds like a bunch of work to me !!!  i have an old Lane 24" lag bed planer i run with a farmall "A" with flat belt , that would be the quick way to make the 1" into 7/8" in one pass,  a planer would be the quick easy way, good luck on the project. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Okrafarmer

If I could find one of those to borrow, rent, or buy around here, it would be great. Those kinds of things can't be found casually browsing the local pawn shop though. However, I know I could get the Farmall A around here, they are extremely popular in this area, along with the 140's. This is and was a huge vegetable raising area, especially between my house and the mountains, and those little offset jobs were sold around here by the hundreds when they were new. A lot of Allis Chalmers C's, CA's, and G's also.

Meadows Miller

Jim trawl clist and the like  I have seen plenty of good finds on there  :o :o :) Im just too far away  :( :'( :'( Ill have a look see and if i spot something near you thats the rite price ill give you a holler Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

scsmith42

Just sent you a PM.  I have a 25" jointer/planer (50 hp), horizontal resaw and straight line ripsaw, but we'd have to round trip the lumber to my shop SW of Raleigh (about 5-1/2 hours east of Polk County).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tcsmpsi

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 19, 2012, 08:32:41 AM
Just sent you a PM.  I have a 25" jointer/planer (50 hp), horizontal resaw and straight line ripsaw, but we'd have to round trip the lumber to my shop SW of Raleigh (about 5-1/2 hours east of Polk County).

Perhaps just a little more than that from the Polk County in which I reside.    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

DR_Buck

For a job like this I'd use it as justification to by the add-on Wood-Mizer resaw attachment.   You could easly pay for it on this job alnoe and have ot for the future.   I wouldn't hesitate to take on this job if it was offered to me. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

I don't believe any resaw will resaw 1" to 7/8" with any kind of accuracy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bill m

I can see how you can saw the logs to get the 1 1/2" flat on the top and bottom but given the taper in the logs how is he going to build with them?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jeff on October 19, 2012, 01:48:42 PM
I don't believe any resaw will resaw 1" to 7/8" with any kind of accuracy.
Jig or no jig it would take a very sharp blade at the least.  I would have suggested taking several of his boards to try it out before agreeing to do it.   Also whether his boards are flat or not or better said whether you can clamp them flat,  is everything.   Also their starting actual thickness .
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Okrafarmer

Well, he emailed me back today and we are still talking about it. So far, he isn't scared off from me or my pricing, so it may actually happen. He still hasn't told me for sure whether he actually needs the 1" reduced to 7/8, after I suggested to him that this would be the hardest part for me to do, and asked him if he really needs it done.

SCSmith, I haven't looked at your PM yet, but it would not be all the lumber that would have to come to you, as whatever 2" material I split will already be just a hair over 7/8, and he said it doesn't have to be exact.  ;) Having said that, my normal people to do it are only an hour and half away from him, but they still don't have their planer, jointer, and related equipment set up yet, after their laborious move into their new roomier facility. Maybe they will by then-- he's talking about mid to late November or early December.

shelbycharger400

Jeff is correct on that statement!

trying to take a 1 inch to 7/8.   thats 1/8th inch.  your band blade is what .040-.058
.128 thou tryin to remove. All blades will deflect and flutter just into cutting. Even if you do have a sharp blade,  Their just isn't enough their to stabilize the blade in the cut.

One customer here asked me once if I could resaw a 1 inch down to 3/4 stock for inlay.  I said NO , my kerf is .375 and more so cause its a chain mill.
Only resawing I can do is taking at minimum an 1/8 above the chain cut.  Also noted is resawing some things that I qtr'd with a chain saw, where the chain is not completly burried the wood it cuts HARD and wants to ride up.

Okrafarmer

For any saw blade, things are not going to work well, if you don't have the entire kerf (cut) of the blade cutting product. This is (if for no other reason) because the teeth are set in opposite directions, left-right, left-right. If the left teeth have something to cut, and the right teeth don't, it's going to tend to pull the blade deeper into the product. Eventually it will then be feeling pressure to go back out of the product if there is tension on the blade trying to hold it a certain height (as there would be for a band sawmill or chain sawmill). It's just not a good idea.

isawlogs

Even resawing two inch into two pieces will be a job and a half....Those peices better be straight or you will be in for a fight to get this job done. Having only one center clamp does not help with warped or bent wood. I hope you do good with this , but having tried this a few times I know it will be frustrating to do a good job.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Hmm, true. I have done it on the Turner mill before, but I had multiple clamps. If there's one thing I don't like about the LT-40, it's that it only has one clamp.

barbender

Okra, did you look at the Arky resaw? It works swell, I'm tellin ya. It would work great for splitting the 2" stuff, I wouldn't even consider trying to clamp the boards on the mill 1 at a time. You'd go loony in short order :)

Okrafarmer

Help me out a little there, BB. I did a Google search and couldn't come up with much. Too many people out there named Arky.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Thanks, I found it. I thought he meant it was an Arky brand factory-built machine.

barbender

Sorry bout that Okra, Arky as in the Arkansawyer, a notable forum member who had quite a milling operation and added much wisdom to the forum. I copied his resaw jig and used it to resaw 5/4x8" pine into 2 pieces of bevel siding. The head of the saw stays stationary and you push the material through it.

Okrafarmer

Sounds like it work pretty well unless the material was too long, like maybe, over 8' long it might get a little awkward.

barbender

My material was 12'-16'. It takes two people, but you can fly through the material. if my memory serves me right, resawing 400 bf an hour was easy enough, even with my wife catching the boards on the other end after I made her mad at me  :o :)(I would suggest finding other help ;D) I'm tellin ya, build this jig, it doesn't cost but a few screws and a little time, and you'll be patting yourself on the back for not spending $2500 on the factory job. The only change I would make is using a weighted or spring tensioned wheel for a hold down, the featherboards only work on closely dimensioned material, my boards were+/- 1/16" and the thicker ones get real hard to push through.

Solomon

Wow, Sounds to me like this is a guy who you are not going to be able to please.   I would stay far far away from that job.  I think I would tell him a rediculous price like $27,651.00 and a $200.00 charge if you hit some forign object and riun a blade.  And maybe a $500.00 setup fee.  $100.00 fuel surcharge,   and I can think up a few more like exaust pipe bearings, and a new interlocking granistand regulator.  You know how those are only good for a 100 bf.    That shoud make him say "welll...  let me kick that around".
with any luck, you will not here from him again.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Okrafarmer

I may be tempted to use that approach with some people, but I don't think he's quite that difficult after discussing it with him some. He's just one of those people who hasn't been educated as to the practicality of some things. If he still wants to do it, we'll work through it one issue at a time.

I don't want to gain a reputation of being a jerk-- I already have to work not to earn that monicker.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!